Why do you shoot?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Seamaster

Why do you shoot?

Post by Seamaster »

Most of us who shoot 10m are not pursuing Olympic glory. We are not doing this for practical self-defense. But we are addicted to shoot, shoot, shoot.

My wife, who is ever insightful and pithy, said, "If you keep this up, you are going to die a lonely man."

What am I pursuing with this "training"? Whatever reason I gave myself, it borderlines "delusion of grandeur"?

There are so many things to pursue, why pursue this hobby that "If you keep this up, you are going to die a lonely man" ?
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

...or not, as the case may be.

Shooting has brought me some of my closest and dearest friends, and the weekly 'fix' at the club is as much about a group of mates having lunch together as the on-range session.
For any shooter operating outside the club system life must be tough.

I am also one of the lucky few - shooting has taken me first around around Australia and over the last 20 years around the world to a lot of places that otherwise I would probably never have been.

spencer
Noel

Post by Noel »

Why do humans waste their time and money on anything? When it comes right down to it, we're hard pressed to come up with a rational excuse for just about any of our hobbies.

In addition to free pistol, I climb mountains, participate in "ultra distance" bicycle rides, and taste/collect fine wine. And despite the well-practiced excuses I present whenever asked, ultimately it's all pointless. God/nature/evolution/whatever hardwired us with certain requirements. Pointless hobbies seem to fulfill them. *shrug*
tleddy

Why do I shoot?

Post by tleddy »

I shoot competitive pistol for two reasons:

1. I live off of the prize money I win

2. To pick up women at the matches

:-) :-) :-)

Tillman in Florida
diopter

Because otherwise you would:

Post by diopter »

Go to strip clubs, everyday.
Drink profusely.
Gamble.
Watch professional Sports on TV 24/7
Become politically active in a fringe party.
Go to the opera in a string bikini.
Become a transvestite.
Start checking out fireman's bottoms.
Develop a lead foot.
Start construction on Noah"s Ark II.
Become THE artist who makes sculptures out of woman's shoes.
Believing left-wing political rhetorical.
Misny

Post by Misny »

I got into this game rather than golf, bowling, etc., because it appealed to the practical side of me. One can't use a bowling ball or golf ball very effectively to put dinner on the table or defend one's life in a down and out scenario.

I like the fact that the shooting game, in general, is made up of people of all walks of life. I've shot matches with plummers, auto workers, machinists, accountants, engineers, pilots, police officers, military folks, doctors, lawyers...well you get the idea. It has been a pleasure meeting these people and getting to know them. I now just about can't go to a pistol match anywhere in the country without bumping in to someone I know. If I don't know anybody, I soon make a new aquaintance which usually lasts a lifetime. Belonging to a gun club has its ups and downs, but for the most part, it has been a good experience.

Shooting continues to quench my desire for competition, while giving me a sense of accomplishment. It is also pretty much a lifetime sport, but I've found as I age, my goals and expectations have to be different.
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Shooting is like any other sport or hobby....... Why do some people like collecting things? Why do some people like to build things? Why do people like to achieve things?

Like any other participative activity there is a social aspect - like minded people who come together to perform and chat about a common activity. I certainly don't do it for self defence purposes (and the laws here in Australia certainly make it clear that gun ownership is NOT for such a purpose)

For me there is something about shooting at a target, the ability to get all those shots into the 10. I did it with archery and now I do it with pistols since I can no longer physically shoot with the bow. I don't hunt and I have no inclination to do so. I guess it's about goal setting and then striving to achieve that goal. It doesn't matter that I may never achieve Olympic glory - I enjoy the passage.

Cheers

David
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What does your wife do?
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Started at 24 (1974), always liked guns, shot well with dad's guns (WW2 leftovers), at the same time playing tennis, waterskying and sailing. Climbed in three/four years into the top five in Brazil (not much, really) and was dumped out of Moscow Olympics. Droped out.

Came back in June 08 to do something that would force me to exercice, since tennis was hard on backbone, competitive sailing too expensive, sail planes even more. Enjoy shooting itself, the accomplishment (first match in June was limited to 16 shots, shoulder gave up) and, of course, the leg pulling.

Had to exercice a lot to fix shoulder, the back also improved (inching back into tennis), cholestherol and other blood stuff back to where they were in ny 20's, blood pressure 8:12.

Bottom line: shooting is good for health...;-))
david alaways

why

Post by david alaways »

Im moving to south Florida to shoot with Tillman! Those are the only 2 real reasons to shoot! (besides plastic trophys and gold colored medals) The rest are just in R heads. Remember its intense relaxation ,90% mental the rest is in your head!
John Kasaian

Post by John Kasaian »

For the same reasons I like sitting around a camp fire or listening to the surf. It is a link to the distant past when man knew he was a part of a greater thing instead of thinking that he is the greater thing. A time when skill at building a fire and skill at arms meant something important (unlike flicking a Bic or punching co-ordinates into a gazillion dollar firing system) A time when the sound of the surf was thought of like a great heartbeat.

I've met some fine people at shooting ranges but I've also met some who were troubled by ego.

Years ago when I was ski racing I learned that the most rewarding competition wasn't against others, but myself, and this reflects on my shooting. I am fortunate enough to have the run of a very nice facility when it is not being utilized by law enforcement agencies. Heck, it is so big that even when a qualification or training is scheduled there are other ranges available where no one else is shooting (of course it gets a bit loud with all the fire from the nieghboring ranges) So my shooting isn't all that competetive, though I do compare my scores with those posted at USAS just to see "where I'm at." Perhaps if I can consistently shoot a higher score I'll enter a match (but that will take some travelling---there isn't any international or even bullseye shooting in my neck of the woods.) This probably isn't the optimal attitude for a serious competitor, is it?

My 8 year old son has shot .22 rifles at Scout Camp. This spring I'll take him out to the range to shoot a .410 and he's excited about it. Perhaps it will be a life long sport for him as well. I don't know---but I do know that he likes campfires and listening to the surf!
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Shooting has brought me some of my closest and dearest friends, and the weekly 'fix' at the club is as much about a group of mates having lunch together as the on-range session.

The most rewarding competition wasn't against others, but myself.

What does your wife do?
. I live off of the prize money I win

2. To pick up women at the matches
Last edited by deadeyedick on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Chris

Post by Chris »

For me shooting and other hobbies are what life is about. Those still working, like me, do it so that we can enjoy life. Life is about what brings you a smile on your face. A perfect 10, seeing your kid walk for the first time, a great wine, a summit after a long hard climb, the list goes on.

It is the stuff we live for.

I shoot because I love it and I am good at it and to get me where I am it comes easy to me. I plan on making it to the Olympics with a lot of hard work.
bjsulla

Post by bjsulla »

I shoot simply because I enjoy it. After a stressful day at work it is pure meditation, you are forced to concentrate on the sights and leave all the other thoughts behind you.

Some people drink to stress down, I shoot instead. My way is healthier.
Patrick Haynes

Re: Why do you shoot?

Post by Patrick Haynes »

Seamaster wrote: There are so many things to pursue, why pursue this hobby that "If you keep this up, you are going to die a lonely man" ?
I love the personal challenge. I love the sport. I love working with athletes who are inspired by the pursuit of excellence.

Shooting (well coaching) has taken me to places that I never imagined visiting (if I had my way, I'd be a hermit living in the mountains), met some fantastic people (coaches too!), and achieved my delusion of getting to the Olympics (as a coach).

I've never had so much in my life. I never imagined a wider horizon, full of people and possibilities. Sounds like the antithesis of loneliness to me.

Take care.
Patrick
Bowman26

Mainly to make sure the neighbors stay way...

Post by Bowman26 »

Ha! But really I shoot because I always have enjoyed it since a kid. I shoot everything from Airguns to Darts if it flies from point A to point B and I have to control it to get there I just enjoy it. It is a mastering of one's self more so then a bettering of the guy next to you on any given day.

Oh I also shoot because I love sending quarters down range each time I pull the trigger with 22 match ammo ;) actually thats why I love to shoot airguns.

As for clubs.. I belong to a airgun club and shoot Small bore sils at another range but most of my shooting is done outside my house. Sure it was fun to spend a day at the range but nothing can compare to being able to pick up anything you want and simply walk outside and start shooting it. No trip to the range time, no gas, no range fees, no BS and it is always open :) So when conditions are ideal for sighting in or testing ammo you can jump on the bench and shoot.

Still building my range area into what I want slowly. But for now I have a full set of Smallbore sils and 100m range with a set of airgun sil swingers and misc other swingers. Paper etc of course.

For what I used to spend on gas and range fees I can cover the cost of ammo shooting at home which almost makes it free, minus the mortgage lol.

One other thing I noticed about when I had to go to the range to shoot. I tended to shoot way more than I really should have just because I was AT THE RANGE. After making time going etc you almost feel more inclined to blaze away and if your just plinking thats cool but after a few hundred rounds your not helping yourself improve most likely. Much like when I played Darts I find the daily shooting even if in smaller amounts is always better than here and there long practicing. Funny thing, I spent $30 on my set of Darts and used them for 5 years before I left the bar rooms. Shooting the type I enjoy I will never win 1/1000 the money those $30 darts got me in winnings.

We shoot to test ourselves and for bragging rights with friends. We shoot to eat and if needed we shoot to kill in defense. We shoot because WE CAN!

Bo