ISSF 2009 Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

ISSF 2009 Rules

Post by David Levene »

The new rules are on the ISSF web site.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Is it worth reading? Any big change? Or, is there a sinopsys of the changes?
Jordan F.

Post by Jordan F. »

Thanks for posting!
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

Well, there's two new pistols disciplines, so I'd say yes, worth reading...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Sparks wrote:Well, there's two new pistols disciplines, so I'd say yes, worth reading...
Are there? I haven't spotted them yet. What rule numbers?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

jacques b gros wrote:Any big change?
Well, in the 90 minutes since I noticed they were available I have only spotted (for pistol):-

Count back to now start with inner tens.
Centre Fire pistol minimum 1000g trigger.
10m Air Pistol Standard and 10m Air Pistol Five Target events now have minimum 500g trigger.

(We had already heard about the first 2 of these)
nirvanaisanx

Post by nirvanaisanx »

Here's the link where the new rules can be downloaded in PDF format:

http://www.issf-sports.org/documents//r ... ishWEB.pdf

Post by Guest »

nirvanaisanx wrote:Here's the link where the new rules can be downloaded in PDF format:

http://www.issf-sports.org/documents//r ... ishWEB.pdf
Golllleeee!
That the same link as in the first post on this thread.
What a revellation.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Glad to see they are adding rules to the rapid fire air pistol events that are barely shot anywhere. I'm sure the lack of a trigger weight is what was holding the event back from wide acceptance.
Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Well "Golllleeee!", Geese Louise, or other hokey reply you can come up with.

Some web browsers can't pickup the embedded link.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Mine didn't.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Richard H wrote:Glad to see they are adding rules to the rapid fire air pistol events that are barely shot anywhere. I'm sure the lack of a trigger weight is what was holding the event back from wide acceptance.
Hopefully pistol shooters have learned from running target and will steer clear of the AP RF events. If we accept them, prepare to kiss goobye to cartridge events.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

j-team wrote:
Richard H wrote:Glad to see they are adding rules to the rapid fire air pistol events that are barely shot anywhere. I'm sure the lack of a trigger weight is what was holding the event back from wide acceptance.
Hopefully pistol shooters have learned from running target and will steer clear of the AP RF events. If we accept them, prepare to kiss goobye to cartridge events.
Well I wouldn't become overly attached to any cartridge event either, they are all on borrowed time. I think rapid fire will be the next to go. They can say that they are evening it up 2 for men two for women.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote: I think rapid fire will be the next to go. They can say that they are evening it up 2 for men two for women.
I would have thought that 50m (Free) Pistol was in more danger if they want to prune numbers. If they were to drop Rapid then that would mean building a 25m range for just one event. Leaving Rapid would give both Men and Women a 10m slow-fire event and a 25m "faster" event.

Having said that, I have not heard any rumours that they want to cut another event, but nothing would surprise me.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:
Richard H wrote: I think rapid fire will be the next to go. They can say that they are evening it up 2 for men two for women.
I would have thought that 50m (Free) Pistol was in more danger if they want to prune numbers. If they were to drop Rapid then that would mean building a 25m range for just one event. Leaving Rapid would give both Men and Women a 10m slow-fire event and a 25m "faster" event.

Having said that, I have not heard any rumours that they want to cut another event, but nothing would surprise me.
I too am not saying there are any imminent rumors about events being cancelled, just the general world attitude that the shooting sports are less and less welcome. If they need build a range for 25m sport pistol that would give them just one more reason to cut it too. You already have 50m ranges for rifle so Free Pistol requires no more facilities. Personally I give shooting as an olympic event maybe 20 more years (and I'm being generous). Air events might survive longer.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I disagree. Shooting may suffer from an image problem in the English-speaking world, but it's a respected sport everywhere else. And no Olympic sport brings in a wider range of competitors. Our vulnerability is in not being extra telegenic, not political correctness.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Well it has been under siege in many European countries including Germany. Basically it hangs on a string in many countries, and is just waiting for a knee jerk reaction to some unfortunate incident. I'm sure some of our European friends can chime in and give us some first hand accounts as to how things have changed in their countries in the last 20 years or so.

Shooting is dying the death of a thousand cuts and some countries have more cuts than others but everyone has some cuts.

To tell the truth I really hope I wrong on this, but I really don't think so unless the public perception of guns and shooting changes drastically.

As to the assertion that its only a problem only in the english speaking world, you might like to talk about gun ownership to those in many of the South and Central American countries. Even shooting powerhouses Asia may produce great shooters but it is not in any sense a sport widely participated in.
IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Does this mean these two events are no longer provisional?

I understand the view that says adopting them threatens the similar disciplines, but personally, I'd like to see these events really take off. They have a ton of advantages and also have the capability to draw a sizeable and new crowd to ISSF pistol shooting.

Stan
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

I don't profess to know the laws of individual countries with the exception of my own the UK, but shooting in some European countries is a way of life. Good examples are Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Switzerland and all of Scandinavia. In Norway its the national sport and matches often get televised on main stream channels.

Rapid fire pistol is from what i have seen seems to be less popular than other forms of pistol shooting, its still done in many European countries but tends to be a minority discipline compared to other precision shooting disciplines. The IOC do take notice of all sports carried out at the Olympics and they carry out surveys to see if there is enough interest in enough countries to incorporate a sport at the Olympics. They have a set of criterion which says it goes or stays and that you will have to ask them as i don't know.

Peeps
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

IPshooter wrote:
Does this mean these two events are no longer provisional?
It depends what you mean by provisional Stan.

You have to go back to the 1997 rules to see the "Provisional" events (which were different to the current 5-shot AP events).

Since the 2001 rules the events in section 8.20 have not been described as provisional, but they haven't had full recognition to allow them to be shot in the World Championships. That position, unfortunately, doesn't change with the 2009 rules.