500 gm trigger pull weight is much heavier than I thought

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

500 gm trigger pull weight is much heavier than I thought

Post by Guest »

I tried the home brew two 500 pellet tin can weight pull.

I finally know what 500 gram pull feels like.

It is MUCH heavier than I thought.

I was probably shooting 200 gm this past year.

I could not believe I could not pull the 500gm trigger initially!

But once I got used to the weight, I am shooting better than I was when I was using probably 200gm.

I noticed with this new found heavier 500 gm, I have to shoot earlier. If I linger longer, I would have a hard time pulling the trigger.

Just curious, where did this 500 gm pull weight rule come from? What is the rationale for this rule?
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

ISSF make the rules governing ISSF air pistol matches, goodness knows the rationale behind the 500gms, the other precision match has no specified trigger weight. Spencer might know the history.

Normally air pistol triggers are set up with 2 stages, the first stage allows you to take up most of the trigger pull while coming into the aiming area, the second, much lighter stage allows the shot to break without disturbing the sights (well that's the theory) while holding in the aiming area.

Now, at the risk of starting WW3 about the "right" weight and assuming your pistol does have a 2 stage trigger maybe you should set the first stage to 400 grams and the second stage to 130 and see whether that helps?

Post by Guest »

I have a Baikal 46M.

Can you set first stage to 400gm and second stage additional 130gm on 46M?
ausdiver99

Post by ausdiver99 »

Check the details here in the Baikal page within Pilk Guns 10P site. Others more knowledgable about the pistol will be able to advise you.

http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/default.htm
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

Anonymous wrote:I have a Baikal 46M.

Can you set first stage to 400gm and second stage additional 130gm on 46M?
Guest, the 1st and 2nd stage weights cannot be individually adjusted for the Izzy. From the trigger mechanism drawing you can see that the spring connected to screw C controls the weight of the trigger pull, but the ratio between the 1st and 2nd stage weights is determined by the fixed geometry of the mechanism. Therefore, the ratio of the stage weights is fixed. I wonder if anyone who has measured the two stages of the Izzy can post the results here so other owner can have an approximate idea of how much their stage weights are.

wkev

Post by wkev »

I measured my IZH 46 with a Lyman digital gauge. It appears the first stage is around 370 gr and total weight is approx 530. When I got it it was around 470, so I added a bit.

Kevin Walker
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

ausdiver99 wrote:ISSF make the rules governing ISSF air pistol
Now, at the risk of starting WW3 about the "right" weight and assuming your pistol does have a 2 stage trigger maybe you should set the first stage to 400 grams and the second stage to 130 and see whether that helps?
I would suggest a 50:50 split initially, until you get used to the weight split. You need to be able to sit on the second stage safely and with confidence. You can then change the ratio as and when you feel more comfortable, or leave it like that. As Ausdiver mentions, there are many philosophies as to which setup is best...

Rob.