scope mounting for small bore prone

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

K38

scope mounting for small bore prone

Post by K38 »

I know this is not exactly the right place to ask about this, but I know the folks on this board will give good answers. I am thinking about setting up an Anschutz 1411 prone rifle with a Leupold VXIII EFR scope for small bore prone shooting. Can I just use rings that clamp on tho the grooved receiver or do I really nee some sort of an extended scope rail so I can get the eyepiece far enough forward to shoot in prone position. Is there a general rule of thumb on mounting scopes for prone ie the eyepiece should be even with the back of the bolt or somne many inches behind. I am sure that everyone is a bit different as we have longer and shorter arms and longer and shorter necks . The gun in question does have an adjustable cheek-piece.

Thanks,

Dwight
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

I don't shoot with a scope, but I imagine it is much the same as setting up a rear sight. The primary objective is to ensure you have it set to give you the optimum eye-relief when you are shooting. If you can do this using the dovetails, all well and good. If the scope is sufficiently long that the mounts need to be further forward of the breech (or one of the mountings should ideally be just over the breech), then some sort of extension rail will be in order. Remember that such a rail will need to give adequate clearance of the breech such that spent casings will be ejected (and not strike the rail and fall back in), and such that you can comfortably load rounds in.
To that end, if you can't slot it onto the existing rails, you'll maybe have to look at something like this:
http://www.edinkillie.co.uk/ecatalog/ce ... Path=44_21

I don't think there is any general rule on it's position (such as eyepiece being level with back of bolt), just what is comfortable for you, depending on your discipline and where your cheek goes on the cheekpiece - very far forward, very far back, somewhere in the middle.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Dwight,

Now matter how hard I tried, I have never been able to get the correct eye relief in prone using standard rings on my Anschütz. I got myself a AHG #6811 sight base and everything is now OK. As far as I'm concerned, I use a Weaver T24 for prone.

Paul

http://www.championshooters.com/store/p ... t=0&page=1
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

With standard rings, I just couldn't get proper relief, and that was with the rings as far back against the adjustment knobs as they could go. The slightest head movement at all would result in the black ring. There are companies that make offset rings that would probably work.
metermatch

Scope st up.

Post by metermatch »

I am assuming you are already shooting prone with iron sights. Your scope should be set up in exactly the same position, so no change to you or the gun is necessary when putting on the scope. So figure how high the centerline of the iron sight rear iris is, set the centerline of the scope at that height, and get into position and move the scope fore and aft until you get proper eye relief.

Buy whatever scope bases and rings are necessary to set scope at that point.

Jeff
Ken O

Post by Ken O »

Or you could pick up an used Unertl, Lyman, Fecker, etc scope that will fit the existing rail/barrel block.
NikNak

Re: scope mounting for small bore prone

Post by NikNak »

K38 wrote:I know this is not exactly the right place to ask about this, but I know the folks on this board will give good answers. I am thinking about setting up an Anschutz 1411 prone rifle with a Leupold VXIII EFR scope for small bore prone shooting. Can I just use rings that clamp on tho the grooved receiver or do I really nee some sort of an extended scope rail so I can get the eyepiece far enough forward to shoot in prone position. Is there a general rule of thumb on mounting scopes for prone ie the eyepiece should be even with the back of the bolt or somne many inches behind. I am sure that everyone is a bit different as we have longer and shorter arms and longer and shorter necks . The gun in question does have an adjustable cheek-piece.

Thanks,

Dwight
I shoot SB prone 3P and 4P ..

I use a Vari X-3 EFR for kneeling and standing and a 24X for prone/sit.

For my vxIII I use the Champion's Choice extended rimfire scope mount(about $60) and for the 24X I use a BKL aluminum mount/ring combo unit that has a cantilever away from the front of the action. In prone and for propper eye-relief, I really need to have the scope forward of the regular mounting grooves on the receiver. The BKL mount/ring combo was from Brownells in Montezuma Iowa.( about $35.00)

I have a long neck, arms and broad shoulders. This combo made me have issues with eye relief with most scopes over 10X .... if $s are a concern I shot a BSA 6-18X target scope ($70). It did ok, but my scores did jump when i went to the Vari-X III and 24X(Tasco target dot).

This may be a bit confusing, but I actually had a dovetail cut into the front of my Match 54 action. That was not far enough forward, so I added the extended mounts.

They work and hold zero..... all that matters to me.