Cylinder leading

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Aus Guest

Cylinder leading

Post by Aus Guest »

How does everyone remove lead build up in revolvers.
I'm shooting 148HBWC in 38 cases out of a S&W 686 at around 780fps. Accuracy is good 25-30mm at 25m but I get a rapid build up of lead in the cylinder, barrel leading doesn't seem to be a problem. It takes me as long to clean as to shoot a match.
I have been using a tornado brush that removes quite a bit of lead quickly but the remainder refuses to budge.
Help please I would like to spend more time shooting and less cleaning.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

At under 800fps, leading in the chambers or the barrel should NOT be a problem!

Something is wrong in your setup:
- the obvious culprits are the projectile diameter, and/or the projectile lube, and/or the throat diameter in the chamber/s.
- more subtle is over crimping.

My personal experience with this problem was with a brand of Australian HBWC projectiles. Once the remaining projectiles were 'washed' and relubed with liquid alox there was no longer a problem.

Spencer
Aus Guest

Post by Aus Guest »

Thanks Spencer

I won't ask what brand of projectile but I will try relubeing the Aus brand I'm using.
The projectiles are .358 so I don't think it is a size issue, crimp is not very heavy but I will back it off and check the results velocity has been checked at 780fps.
The accuracy is still good even with the leading present so if it is a gun issue I will learn to live with a dirty gun.
What would you recommend washing them with to remove the existing lube.

Thanks again I'll keep you posted on the results.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Thanks Spencer
I have started having the same problems as our guest after buying a load of the HBWC while visiting Sydney earlier this year. I have not had the problem before and while I have not checked the fps, it will not be high as I believe that there's no point using enough powder to drop a charging bull when all I am trying to do it punch round holes in a piece of paper at 25m.
I now know my 686 has been suffering from snake bite!
Regards Colin
Dr Jim

cylinder leading

Post by Dr Jim »

I do hope you are using 357 Magnum cases in your 686. Short 38 Special cases will allow a HBWC to expand the skirt enough to hit the end of the chambering and that causes the lead buildup. Brownells used to sell a "de-leading" chamber reamer just for such cases. But as noted it can be avoided by using the magnum cases. Been there, done that. Too many times!

Cheers --- Jim
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Does anybody remember the Lewis Lead Remover kit?

A "barrel-length" rod with interchangeable conical aluminium or expanding rubber end pieces. When used with special brass mesh discs they were used to clean lead (and other crud) out of the forcing cone and barrel/cylinder.

Goodness knows whether they damaged the gun, but they certainly left it clean and bright.

The chap who originally taught me to shoot was the UK importer.
FP570

Post by FP570 »

Lewis Lead Remover is still available at Brownells. com