.22 autoloader for beginner

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
adds033

.22 autoloader for beginner

Post by adds033 »

Hi all just wondering what would be a good pistol (.22lr) for learning to shoot the ISSF matches.
Any info appreciated!!

ADDS
MSC

Post by MSC »

Likely, folks will ask you some prerequisite questions...

- What's you budget $ ?
- Are you "trying out" the game, or is it something you have a genuine
interest in pursuing?
- What's your shooting experience?
- What's your goal? Casual shooting, competing at local level, competing
at national level?
j-team

Post by j-team »

The IZH 35M is the best bang for the bucks.

Ugly, but a good shooter (2 in RF final at the Olympics).
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Walther KSP200......
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I agree with j-team
TomAmlie

Choices

Post by TomAmlie »

The IZH35 is only available used and will set you back around $600 or so (there are 2 on gunbroker right now, both in the mid-$500 range). If it has any problems you may find parts/service availability an issue (there are some threads regarding problems in the archives).

Any other Euro-gun (Pardini, Walther, Hammerli, Unique, etc.) will be hard to find for under $1,000 used.

If you just want to "try it out", I'll blaspheme by suggesting a used Ruger MkII which can often be found for around $200 or less. Don't get the 6 7/8" barrel, as that's too long for ISSF rules. They're about as reliable as a gun gets. Get an aftermarket sear to clean up the trigger pull and it's a nice beginner's gun (although the trigger is not adjustable at all, I don't think that's a major issue if you're just getting a feel for pistol shooting to see if you enjoy it).

The Ruger is certainly not something you'll see in major ISSF competitions, but it will take you a long way on a little $.

If you decide you really like the sport, you can take your time and choose the upper-end gun you really like once you get a feel for what you like. You can always keep the Ruger as a back-up, or use it to introduce friends to the sport.
joe1347

Re: .22 autoloader for beginner

Post by joe1347 »

adds033 wrote:Hi all just wondering what would be a good pistol (.22lr) for learning to shoot the ISSF matches.
Any info appreciated!!

ADDS
If you're on a budget (<$500), then the Ruger MKIII512 with a Volquartsen sear and grip is pretty much the only choice. Unfortunately, the better budget choice - IZH35 is no longer imported and service is questionable. Of course, if you can spend more than $1000, then there's no quite a few options that some searching on this site will quickly reveal.

adds033

thanks

Post by adds033 »

Thanks for all replies guys! I ended up with a Unique DES69, which i am very happy with. Made a new full length barrel weight for it tho. Never malfunctions, shoots very accurately!