Walther GSP Expert vs SSP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Alexis

Walther GSP Expert vs SSP

Post by Alexis »

Hi,

Forgive the beginner's question. I am looking to take up ISSF standard pistol and I am wondering what are the differences between the Walther GSP Expert and SSP.

Any comments appreciated
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The GSP Expert is based on the original GSP which debuted sometime in the 60's I think (I'm sure some here will know exactly, Ray M?). To the original they added a recoil absorber on the front. The GSP's are reliable there are lots of parts available. Some find it a little too nose heavy, if you are using it for NRA events the 4 " barrel can be a little less accurate beyond the 25M its was designed for (especially the .32 GSP). I know in Canada its probably the most popular pistol on most firing lines, with that being said there usually are spare parts available at most matchs ( I myself have enough spare parts o rebuild 3 .22 and .32 GSP plus 2 spare single stage triggers). Both my pistol which are early to mid 80's vintage are still on their original firing pins. The only thing that has been changed is the ejector on the .32 only because the rivet that holds it became loose.

The SSP is Walthers new .22. It is completely different than the GSP, it has a full 6" barrel, it loads through the chamber area like the Domino's, it has a very good recoil absorbtion system, the grip is full adjustable. It is very light which allows the shooter to place weight where hey want it for the proper balance for that shooter. Fully adjustable sights, the rear sight can be quickly and accurately switched so you could have one for sub -six (precision stages) and the second center (for rapid fire stages). Some say they don't like the trigger, that is obviously a personal preference, I've tried one and was able to adjust the trigger to where I liked it. The trigger is adjustable, many who complain, are complaining about the factory adjustment and have not or can not adjust the trigger (its not their gun). It is a new pistol so there are stories about poor reliability, it is a pretty complex pistol cleaning is more difficult. I personally know of two shooter with them that are very happy. The full kit with all the weights and second sight is a little pricey. As the pistol is relatively new the long term reliability of the pistol is really unknown.

Presently I shoot GSP's, I have tried and shot MG2's, SSP's, Hammerli SP20's, Pardini's, Rugers, SW Model 42's. Of those the only one's I didn't like were the Ruger, SP20, SW Model 42.

If this is your first pistol and you're inexperienced I'd look around and see what others you shoot with are using, as these are most likely going to be the people you rely on for assistance, you may want to take that into consideration when purchasing. Also what kind of dealer support is available to you should you need parts or assistance.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Completely accurate reply Richard. One more point is the fact that using the SSP as opposed to the GSP feels like moving from the 20th to the 21st. century.
Mike Taylor

S&W Model 42

Post by Mike Taylor »

Not surprised, Richard, that you didn't like the Model 42.
That 2-inch barrel must be tough to shoot at 25 metres. The muzzle blast from that short barrel, even with a mid-range .38 Spl wadcutter, would be distracting, too. It wouldn't qualify for Standard Pistol, of course, but maybe Centre Fire?
(wink, wink, nudge, nudge)
Mike T.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Ok you caught me, fat fingers. I guess I should just mash my hand down to get one of those typing sticks.

Make that a Model 41. , that better 8P
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

deadeyedick wrote:Completely accurate reply Richard. One more point is the fact that using the SSP as opposed to the GSP feels like moving from the 20th to the 21st. century.
I take it you like your SSP, been thinking of getting something new.
jipe

Post by jipe »

For the technical differences, the answer of Richard is very complete.

But besides technique, those two pistols give you very different feeling too.

As Richard says, the SSP is much lighter than the GSP.

The grip position is also very different: the GSP has an old style, quite vertical (for a match pistol) grip while the SSP grip angle is pretty similar to a modern AP.

The SSP has much less muzzle jump than the GSP.

The balance of the SSP is also quite different, much less nose heavy.

Finally, there are complains about the trigger of the SSP that is not at the level of the best (i.e. Pardini and Morini) but it is much better than the trigger of the GSP.

When you add all those differences, you end up with completely different feelings.

The GSP was the first real match pistol, the SSP is a modern 21th century pistol.
rrpc

Post by rrpc »

I noticed that the 2nd and 3rd places in the Women's 25m Pistol today were taken by Walther SSP's.

It's certainly interesting to see them being used at this level and by competitors who have obviously changed over to them (both competitors have been shooting a long time).