Training at home

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
gimgim

Training at home

Post by gimgim »

Hi, I just found this forum, pretty interesting.
My apologies if the topic has already been covered in some other thread.

I would like to use my IZH64M at home but I don't have 10 meter of clear space. I remember friends training at a shorter distance by using rifle targets. Can anybody tell me the correct distance? Also, does anybody have a pdf of an air rifle target? I have the one for the air pistol if anybody needs it.
Thanks
G.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Why don't you use the correctly scaled 5m AP target provided by this forum's admin.
gimgim

Post by gimgim »

THANKS!!!
I was asking for the air rifle distance becuase I didn't even hoped it existed something like that :)
superstring

Post by superstring »

David Levene wrote:Why don't you use the correctly scaled 5m AP target provided by this forum's admin.
Sorry for being dense, guys, but how do you use that target? I don't understand how the scale works. Are there instructions somewhere?

Thanks!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Looks like a standard inch scale, its there to make sure that when you print and or copy them they are the right size. The long hash marks should be 1 inch apart.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

superstring wrote:
David Levene wrote:Why don't you use the correctly scaled 5m AP target provided by this forum's admin.
Sorry for being dense, guys, but how do you use that target? I don't understand how the scale works.
You stand 5m away from it and shoot. You then score it the same as you would a normal AP target, if the shot touches the line you get the higher score.

There are 2 targets on the sheet. To do the job properly you should cut them out and stick them on new backers.
superstring

Post by superstring »

Richard H wrote:Looks like a standard inch scale, its there to make sure that when you print and or copy them they are the right size. The long hash marks should be 1 inch apart.
When I select "Fit to Printable Area" in Page Scaling, the zoom is 122% and the targets print with the long hash marks 1/2" apart. Is this correct? I don't know how to print it so the "inch marks" are actually 1" apart.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

superstring wrote:
Richard H wrote:Looks like a standard inch scale, its there to make sure that when you print and or copy them they are the right size. The long hash marks should be 1 inch apart.
When I select "Fit to Printable Area" in Page Scaling, the zoom is 122% and the targets print with the long hash marks 1/2" apart. Is this correct? I don't know how to print it so the "inch marks" are actually 1" apart.
Set page scaling to "none", print at 100%.

Longer lines should be 10mm apart. Diameter of the 1-ring is 75mm.
superstring

Post by superstring »

David Levene wrote:
Set page scaling to "none", print at 100%.

Longer lines should be 10mm apart. Diameter of the 1-ring is 75mm.
Excellent. Thank you!
Shooterer

Target paper

Post by Shooterer »

Does anyone know what type (or weight) of paper that air pistol targets are made of?

You know the kind that makes the clean little holes.

Jim
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Jim

I've used 60# poster paper from the local office supply house.
The heavier paper tends to cut cleaner holes.

You also have to know the heaviest weight paper that your printer can handle. Might not be 60#. On some you need to open the straight feed door to use paper above a certain paper weight.

Failing that, I've taped plain 20# copy paper to a cardboard backer with good results.

Finally, get a ruller and measure the vertical and horizontal size of your target. Some printers don't print a nice ROUND circle. This caught me by surprise.

About the scoring.

There are 2 things that don't work together, so one has to give.
- To scale the target to a range, it is simply based on % of standard. 6m = 6/10 = 60% scale.
- BUT the problem is the pellet diameter does not scale. So you are punching the same size hole in a target with smaller rings. So you would get a higher score than you would on a 10m target at 10m.

The solution is a little tricky.
- ring size adjusted for the fact that the pellet diameter does not reduce with range.
I think the "High Noon" postal matches used the reduced ring method for reduced range targets. There is an excel spreadsheet that does the ring calculations for you.
- keep the BLACK aiming circle scaled, and independent of the scoring rings. This keeps the aiming reference properly scaled for the reduced distance.
The problem here is you have to dinker w the Pellant target printing program to give you this extra "ring." And to do that, you "loose" one ring, since it can only print 10 rings, not 11. And the ring numbers are off by 1 when you hit the black bull/sight ring.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

GaryN wrote:Jim
. . . . .
About the scoring.

. . . . . - BUT the problem is the pellet diameter does not scale. So you are punching the same size hole in a target with smaller rings. So you would get a higher score than you would on a 10m target at 10m.

. . . .
Very good, Gary! I never thought of that when I compared the 50ft Free Pistol target to the 10m target. I failed to consider the larger Free Pistol bullet diameter. So the 50 ft target isn't as hard as I thought. Maybe I'll be able to shoot better. That mental thing. . .
Ben
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

Not only you.
Until I saw the High Noon reduced target, I was doing a simple % distance reduction.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

A simple scale % reduction is exactly true- if you use the center of where the shot would hit.

You need to subtract 1/2 round diameter first to find center (or add tot eh distance from center of target), do the % reduction, then add the 1/2 diameter back in (or subtract it from target center) to get teh correct ring spacing.

Just think of it as "the center of the shot is proportionally reduced" and it makes sense.
X10

Post by X10 »

After reading this post I now have both 10 meter and 5 meter targets.

If someone could get a 7,5 meter target - that would make my day - thats what I have in free space at home. Please.