Why don't people like the Walther SSP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
bigred

Why don't people like the Walther SSP?

Post by bigred »

I've never really seen that much positive commentary on this pistol. What is it that's not right? I've gotten to hold and dry-fire one once, and think it's a beautiful piece of engineering (as well as very good to look at!). My main focus is AP, but plan to get myself a good .22 this year to have some fun. The toss-up for me is between the SSP and the Pardini. I think the GSP is horribly ugly - even worse than the IZH46 I have!

Let me know your opinions and experiences
jipe

Post by jipe »

I have tried the SSP and it shoot quite well: it is stable, lightweight and has good sights. The trigger is not that good but also not that bad as some says.

There seems to be some quality/reliability issues like trigger and sights getting loose that need to be readjusted often. It seems also ammunition sensitive. It is a very complex design and is difficult to dismount and clean. Finally it is almost the most expensive 22lr standard/RF pistol on the market.

One last thing: I had a discussion about this pistol with the Walther distributor in my country asking him him if there were know reliability issues, his answer was "did you consider buying a GSP Expert instead" !?!?
me

no dry firing option

Post by me »

The SSP I handled some time ago did not sport any dry firing feature.

Red plastics chamber inserts? Well, no, not quite my cake.
dnovo

Re: Why don't people like the Walther SSP?

Post by dnovo »

bigred wrote:The toss-up for me is between the SSP and the Pardini. I think the GSP is horribly ugly - even worse than the IZH46 I have!

Let me know your opinions and experiences
Owing many different types of FP and other 22s, I passed on the SSP and stayed with the Pardini (just getting the Rapid Fire conversion kit from Larry) for several simple reasons: It works well, strips to clean with just a twist of an Allen wrench, and has no reliability issues. Why pay more for a pistol impossible to strip to clean and that costs more? Seems like a no brainer. Dave