IZH-46M connecting bar problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Sparks

IZH-46M connecting bar problem

Post by Sparks »

Has anyone else had this problem? You're mid-match, charging the Izzy, and the connecting bar that opens the action when the charging handle is at full extention, just falls out of the pistol and lands on the ground.
There's a fair bit of vertical play in the action on the right side, and it can raise up enough so that the rear part of the bar can swing out from underneath the action and then it just falls off.
Is this just another one of those things? Or do I just have a pistol with "character"? :D
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Not sure if this is what you're talking about (I never had anything fall on the ground), but this part on my IZH46m failed:

The screw became stripped and fell out, which caused the action to not open when I moved the charging arm to full extension. The photos show my original, glued in place. But I have since purchased replacement parts ($45 for that housing and the screw, shipped).

Nothing should be able to fall out/off the gun in normal use. If you can take a picture or give a part number off the exploded diagram, I might be able to offer an explanation of why it's happening or how to fix it.

FWIW, mine failed after roughly 6~7000 shots.

Brian

ShootingAir.com
Last edited by Brian M on Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

The bit you're pointing at there Brian, the slide, at the other end from the screw, there's a flat bar underneath which runs along the large cylinder containing the piston (you can see the bar plainly between the actual barrel of the pistol and the cylinder that houses the piston). That's the bit that falls out. The part you're pointing to where the screw is, there's a lot of vertical play there in my Izzy (a millimetre or two) and that's enough to occasionally not trap the bar and it falls out.
jmessina

Post by jmessina »

I have the same issue. The sliding bar will disengage from the slot under the cylinder. The action will jam and you have to push the bar back in place to finish the cycle. Nothing is stripped on my gun. It is a few months old. There is a lot of play in the charging bar under the cylinder. I have not looked closely yet. It has happened 3 times.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Okay, I understand which piece you're talking about. Taking a look at mine, I have no slop/play in the piece I posted, and I can completely see how a little bit of slop would allow the piece to fall out. My guess is that the slide spring (Item 12 here: http://www.eaacorp.com/diagrams-izh46lg.html ) has a problem. It's either shorter than it ought to be, or had a manufacturing tolerance issue, something.

I'd pull the pistol apart and stretch the spring out to see if that's a temp. fix. If it does, then I'd replace it (hardware store may have a quicker/cheaper fix... but EAA was very fast with shipping my parts). The spring is fairly easy to get to, it Might just be removing the screw in my picture above, and tilting that slide up from the back. The spring fits around the barrel. If that doesn't free the spring, you may need to remove that bar that keeps falling out, the grip and the bar that actually opens the action (covered by the grip at the back end).

Hope this helps some...

Brian

ShootingAir.com
pauln

Post by pauln »

Personally I open my action by hand, rather than letting the cocking leaver do it.
Makes the cocking stroke much smoother and I feel there is less wear and tear on the pistol.
This means you can remove that bar and leave it out.
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

pauln wrote:Personally I open my action by hand, rather than letting the cocking leaver do it.
Makes the cocking stroke much smoother and I feel there is less wear and tear on the pistol.
This means you can remove that bar and leave it out.
Quote. Always opened action by hand.

@Sparks: Be gentle with izzy! Image
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

I don't think that's quite it Brian, because it's part 65 in that diagram that's allowing the vertical play.

I'd also rather avoid any major mechanical stuff for the moment - our Nationals is on on Sunday :D
Sparks

Post by Sparks »

LukeP wrote:@Sparks: Be gentle with izzy! Image
I am gentle with it! It actually doesn't take any effort for the bar to slip out.

Post by Guest »

On my gun part #7 is slipping out of groove on part #2. Part #7 appears to be slightly bent towards the cylinder, allowing the lip to bypass the slot. I am going to try bending this piece up to allow a better fit in the slot.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Sparks wrote:I don't think that's quite it Brian, because it's part 65 in that diagram that's allowing the vertical play.

I'd also rather avoid any major mechanical stuff for the moment - our Nationals is on on Sunday :D
That part should be held in place by the screw in my picture (for the front) and the grip at the rear. ??? I can't even see the back end of mind with stock grips, and there's no way mine will fall out. Heh, it took a bit of work to Pull mine out when the time came to replace it.

It should be a flat piece with an oblong/oval hole at the front end and a 5~7mm long pin on the back end.

And understood about not wanting to fuss with it right now. I found mine broken just before the Olympic Trials... I was just careful for those 3 days of shooting.

Good luck with Nationals!

Brian

ShootingAir.com
pauln

Post by pauln »

Hi Brian,
So you used your IZZY in the Olympic trials.
How did you go? Whats the best score you've shot with the IZZY?
I never knew people were using them at this level.
It's the flat bar that sits along the top of the compression chamber that falls out. I just left mine out, you just cock it like you do when you are dry firing. Am I the only IZZY shooter that does this? Seems less effort to me.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Yup, I think I had the lowest priced air pistol there (though there was a gentleman down the way from me with an older FWB 65 ~ but that was the only other non-PCP I saw there). I accomplished my goals and shot my average... actually shot a touch better than my previous USA Shooting ranking percentage. I ended up 36th out of the 46 that were there. My best practice score has been 564, though I've heard reports of someone shooting right at 580 with an IZH46m.

I don't manually work the action because it's the indicator I use that I've fully extended the charging arm. That and it was designed to work that way, I haven't found fault in using that method. Sometimes I do open the action manually, but it's the exception. The several others in use at my club (most by our junior shooters) haven't had any issue using it this way either. That's not to say your way isn't better, just that I/we do it this way.

Cheers,

Brian

ShootingAir.com
pauln

Post by pauln »

Excellent shooting, well done
pauln

Post by pauln »

Excellent shooting, well done