Raise or lower into aiming area?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike S-J

Raise or lower into aiming area?

Post by Mike S-J »

I have adopted the following schedule during training (aim: to focus on the process not the score). I give myself a score for each of the following out of seven (seven being excellent): settle into hold, quality of hold; quality of sight alignment; quality of release; quality of follow trough. What is quite apparent from a recent analysis of these "scores" is that I have improved dramatically in my trigger release, follow-through, somewhat in sight alignment, but not at all on my settle into the aiming area.

OF COURSE - these are MY perceptions of MY performance and it is possible that I could be completely wrong. However, I am unhappy about my settle and wanted some pearls of wisdom about whether I am worrying too much, and/or about how to go about improving.

At present I raise well above the target and lower to about a target's heigh above the target whilst exhaling. I then inhale, and once on the exhale cycle lower to my settle. My "natural" process is to lower below my sub-6 position so I can get a clear sharp focus on the for-sight without being distracted by the bull. I then raise the sights into the settle sub-6.

The part of the cycle I am most unhappy about (i.e. the part with the most variance in 'quality') is the last raise into the settle.

If I focus on the sights whilst they are above the target (the other point in the cycle when there is no distraction) - with the intention of lowering into the sub-6 - my focus is lost as I pass over the target.

So my questions are:

1). Am I doing anything obviously silly?
2). Are there routines to improve the raise / lower into settle?
3). Am I over-complicating the whole issue?

Even if you have no specific advice, just hearing how others do it can be cathartic.

Cheers,

Mike
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I am sure there will be some who will find fault with what you are doing but, with one slight refinement, it sound like the same procedure I have always used for slow-fire shooting.

The slight difference, when dropping down through the target I focus on the back of my hand. I then just have to relax my focus on to the sights.
DaFont

Raise to the Target

Post by DaFont »

Hello,
I always raise the gun from below the target. Prior to initiating the shot with the gun on the bench, I focus on the front sight. Then I lift the gun off the bench to the target while maintaining continuous focus on the front sight. As the gun is on the way up I establish rough sight alignment with rear sight. When I'm on target the only thing my eye has had to do is maintain focus on that front sight. It simplifies the eye's task during the shot sequence.

As was pointed out in a previous response to your post, if you lower the gun to the target you will complicate your eyes task by having your arm and the back of your hand as a visual focal point early in the shot. Your eye will then have to compensate when the target amd sights come into view.
Just my 2 cents. Shoot 10's
DAF
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Work on eliminating the last dipsy-doodle.

You are correct in your technique to "sag" (lower) into yoru settle [lots of musculo-skeletal etc reasons why] . . . so why are you then raising into your hold?

Yes, I know, rhetorical question but if you are going to lift into your target then go ahead and lift into your target and deal with the side effects directly.

Myage you should work on how to eliminate that loss of focus issue, that you have "papered over" with a second lift/settle?

Steve
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Your process sounds too complicated - two stopping points above, drop down, two stopping points below.
Till about a year ago I used the raise to target procedure because I always lost front sight focus when lowering through the bull from above. Then I learned how to maintain front sight focus while coming down through the bull to my sub 6 hold. I now start above the target, establish focus and alignment, drop down to my hold, press trigger while maintaining alignment. I don't mess with or try to 'refine' my hold, but simply shoot as soon as possible after settling at the hold point. I also don't think too much about my breathing. I raise above the target on exhale, inhale while concentrating on focus and alignment, then drop to my hold point.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I would echo Steve's advice above. I would also add that in your second little breath you take whilst holding just above the black, you should also try raising the gun on the inspiration and lower again as you exale. As you breath in your shoulders raise slightly so you should find a natural rhythm and the gun almost naturally raises.

Rob.