SCATT vs Real shooting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

SCATT vs Real shooting

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everybody.
I would like some help with this problem.Would it be better for someone to practise at home with a SCATT and once or twice a week practise on real air shooting or just shoot real on the shooting field?
Thank you.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

From my personal experiences, the SCATT was the single most useful training tool I had ever used for diagnosing problems and identifying bad habits. If given the chance to use one on a routine basis, I would.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

My son has been using his Noptel quite a bit and his live scores are clearly showing the results.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

I agree with the others. You can see things with the trainer that you can't see without.
Nick_Burman

Post by Nick_Burman »

Tsokasn, using a trainer helps a lot - I train once a week using the RIKA and that has boosted my technique a lot. However IMHO it does not replace live firing.

Cheers NB
Aviator24

SCATT vs. Real shooting

Post by Aviator24 »

I would have to say from my experience that both live and dry-firing with a training device are necessary. The SCATT, which is what I use, provides some crucial information for fixing positions, and diagnosing issues.
Hope this helps
-Haynes
RobStubbs

Re: SCATT vs Real shooting

Post by RobStubbs »

tsokasn wrote:Hello everybody.
I would like some help with this problem.Would it be better for someone to practise at home with a SCATT and once or twice a week practise on real air shooting or just shoot real on the shooting field?
Thank you.
You're wasting time and effort if you just 'practice' with a scatt. It is a training tool that is best used in conjunction with and complements live firing. It's role is to help you and your coach identify areas for improvement, and is one of a number of tools to aid shooter improvement.

Rob.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Very interesting answers.I thought that by practising in home with SCATT and dry shooting and twice a week do live shooting would help more (and save time)than just shoot straight live thing.But it seems that you must do both.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone!
I would like to bring this topic back because it seems that I have found a SCATT opportunity.
A friend sells it for 700 euros(957$ or 610GBP) while a new one from euroshooting.eu costs 900 euros+shipping cost.
What do you think?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

tsokasn wrote:Hello everyone!
I would like to bring this topic back because it seems that I have found a SCATT opportunity.
A friend sells it for 700 euros(957$ or 610GBP) while a new one from euroshooting.eu costs 900 euros+shipping cost.
What do you think?
I think that 700 euros is less than 900 euros plus shipping.

What sort of condition is it in?
How old is it?
Is it the latest version hardware?
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello David Levene.
Well the price is less but is it a real opportunity?
I haven't seen it yet but I know the shooter that sells it and he is very tidy with his shooting gear.
He has it for a year.
How will I know if this is the latest version?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

If it's only 1 a year old then, unless anyone knows different, it's probably the latest hardware.

Is it an opportunity? Well it's a 22+% discount on the new price. If it's in perfect condition then only you can decide whether the lower price makes up for not having a warranty. Only you can decide.
BartP

80/20 then 50/50

Post by BartP »

To get back to your original thread, I have been using my noptel since October and I shoot prone only. During initial noptel training sessions, I would shoot 100 shot matches and drop a 9.9/9.8 here and there and my string averages were between 103 and 104.5 consistently. I was shooting consistently in the low and mid 590s in competition and practice before training with the system. After three solid months of 80 percent noptel and 20 percent live-fire, my noptel scores are perfect 600s with string averages between 105.5 and 106.25. The best part is that my live-fire practice scores are now routinely in the 596-598 range. When I get closer to a major competition, like USA World Cup Selections, I will switch to more live-fire and make it 40/60 (noptel/live). There are still recoil standards to analyze/correct and weather conditions to consider.

From my short experience with the noptel, I have been able to look at other shooter's noptel files and immediately tell them where they have issues. In my opinion, the noptel is the finest training device I've ever used. AND if you buy it at the normal price or lower, you are saving a massive amount of money on ammunition...which I LOVE!

Bparnall
Jason

Re: 80/20 then 50/50

Post by Jason »

BartP wrote:From my short experience with the noptel, I have been able to look at other shooter's noptel files and immediately tell them where they have issues. In my opinion, the noptel is the finest training device I've ever used. AND if you buy it at the normal price or lower, you are saving a massive amount of money on ammunition...which I LOVE!
What made you choose the Noptel over a SCATT or Rika? Do you use it during live fire as well? Considering how much more it is than the other units, is what it provides worth the extra cash?

Jason
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

An electronic trainer is a great tool. It shouldn't replace live fire but that said if for some reason you can't get to a range it's way better than doing nothing and far from "the waste of time". Its also doesn't take the place of pure dryfiring either.

Another thing don't develop the bad "video game" habit of shooting and then snaping you head to the screen to see the result. I've seen some shooter who I swear probably could watch the shot arrive on the monitor because they looked so fast.
BartP

Noptel vs others

Post by BartP »

Jason,

Eric U. swears by his Rika. Matt Rawlings swears by his SCATT. And I swear by my Noptel. In the end, they all provide the training environment you are looking for. I never had to worry about price. My noptel was loaned to me by a local coach. Whatever the price difference is, you will make up the difference in relatively short order when you realize how much Tenex you will save. I do not use it at 50 meters. I got to Benning and hook up to theirs when I am visiting. I do have a 50 meter and a 100 meter Megalink electronic system available, but it does not have the SCATT-TYPE functions. Just scoring. But it's nice to practice on the one-bull system. Without all the NPA issues associated with multiple-bull targets, my faith get restored and enhanced when I shoot on the electronic system. Plus, it's good practice with respect to working with the computer screen - which can tend to draw a person away from his/her follow-thru process. Truthfully, having that bright screen next to me at home is a good distraction to have to deal with. I tend to concentrate that much more on my sight picture and follow thru BECAUSE it is there.

I previously mentioned that I would change my percentages of noptel to live-fire as a big match got near (recoil and weather analysis/practice), but one of the things I use to simulate a wind condition is practicing my "shading" techniques. For instance, if I imagine a light 3 o'clock breeze (maybe 3-5 mph), I might practice the sight picture necessary to shoot a 10 after starting in a no-wind condition OR grouping my shots (about a 10.4) by shading to 3:30-4 o'clock. The noptel gives you immediate feedback on your process of refining that technique. I have never run out of time during a match, but having that skill as an emergency backup is nice.

Bparnall
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Finally,I bought it!!!
It's condition is brand new!!!The previous owner used it fr less than 10 times?
I will keep you informed about my progress from now and on!!!
Thank you for your tips!