Walther Vs Hammerli Cleaning Rituals

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Narcoleptic Warrior

Walther Vs Hammerli Cleaning Rituals

Post by Narcoleptic Warrior »

Considering a tropical climate where after training maintenance is ESSENTIAL, which pistol

a) disassembles more easily?
b) is easier to clean?

The Walther GSP Expert or the Hammerli SP20?
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

A GSP can be taken apart in less than a minute!
As for cleaning, there are less parts and loose screws that can be lost.
Besides, a SP20 does not like to be taken apart every day.

Kent
Nev C

Can SP20s think?

Post by Nev C »

Reinhamre wrote:A GSP can be taken apart in less than a minute!
As for cleaning, there are less parts and loose screws that can be lost.
Besides, a SP20 does not like to be taken apart every day.

Kent
I didn't know that SP20 pistols could like or dislike being cleaned every day, do they actually tell you this?

My SP20 has only 4 large screws ( which cannot be lost ) which when removed allow complete cleaning of the gun. These screws can be removed in less than a minute.
Please check your facts before making silly statements about a gun you obviously have no experience with.
Reinhamre

Re: Can SP20s think?

Post by Reinhamre »

[quote="Nev CPlease check your facts before making silly statements about a gun you obviously have no experience with.[/quote]

I am impressed, you have a SP20. Do you also have a GSP?

You may not have noticed that those thin screws must not be tighten too hard and all four at the same torque. The threads are in a soft alloy. You had better slack the screw under the grip a bit before tighten the 4 screws. It is a known "fact" among shooters that point of impact may change after you have taken it apart. It is easy for me to imagine a reason why you have not noticed this but I have decided to be nice, today.

A GSP is all steel and you pull a lever, that is all.
And yes, I have had a GSP and yes, I have a SP20

Kent
Nev C

Re: Can SP20s think?

Post by Nev C »

You may not have noticed that those thin screws must not be tighten too hard and all four at the same torque. The threads are in a soft alloy. You had better slack the screw under the grip a bit before tighten the 4 screws. It is a known "fact" among shooters that point of impact may change after you have taken it apart. It is easy for me to imagine a reason why you have not noticed this but I have decided to be nice, today.
Hi Kent, the original post was about ease of cleaning, not about change of point of impact or whatever, which by the way I have not eperienced with my SP20 after cleaning. I repeat my statement that an SP20 can be dismantled for cleaning in less than 1 minute which is what the original post was about.
I do not own a GSP but that has nothing to do with the fact that an SP20 can be dismantled for cleaning in less than 1 minute.
And yes, I would be able to tell if the point of impact changes after cleaning, have a nice day!
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The GSP only needs one screw to be loosened, no screws have to be removed. The GSP can be taken apart in less than 30 seconds (Probably more like 15 seconds). I have taken both apart niether of them are difficult, but the GSP is the easiest.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Back to the original question (yes I used to own both a GSP and SP-20; still have the SP-20).

Not to quibble but I "religiously" (fanatically?) cleaned and lubed both guns on a very regular basis (like after every session, unless I knew I was going to shooting live fire again in the next 24 hours; in which case after every other session).

I didn't notice any appreciable difference in "difficulty" (time yes, slight edge to the GSP) between the two.

Now, if we want to throw a Ruger Mark II in there, now we have "difficulty!"

Steve

(and properly torquing the SP-20 screws is easier than properly torquing a tire on a car. That is to say very. Easy, that is. And simple.)
jipe

Re: Walther Vs Hammerli Cleaning Rituals

Post by jipe »

Narcoleptic Warrior wrote:Considering a tropical climate where after training maintenance is ESSENTIAL
I am not living in a tropical climate and have no experience with shooting/cleaning a weapon in such conditions.

What do you mean by maintenance after training: just normal/regular cleaning (this is what is discussed above) or complete cleaning also of the muzzle piece... ?

You mention the GSP expert that has a new muzzle piece with moving weights in it. The indeed very simple cleaning doesn't clean the muzzle piece.

I do not know very well the SP20, but the RRS version as something similar to the GSP expert.

Other pistols easy to clean like the Pardini (only one screw) have also moving weights in the muzzle piece that are not cleaned during normal cleaning.

Another easy to clean pistol (one single screw too), without moving mass in the muzzle, is the Morini CM22 M or RF.

Another thing you might consider is the material used for the pistol: less steel is may be better in a tropical climate.