What do owners of the new Morini CM22 RF think of it?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
deadeyedick

What do owners of the new Morini CM22 RF think of it?

Post by deadeyedick »

Hello,I would like to hear from anyone who has the new Morini CM 22 RF.
I have heard of Matchguns intermittent unreliabllity, Walther ssp's poor trigger feel and overly complex design, but would be interested to hear from any owners of the newer Morini.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Has anyone even heard good or bad reports?
elliott

Morini CM 22 RF

Post by elliott »

Deadeye,
I use the morini CM 22 RF for competition. At first, I had problems with misfires and ejection. However, as the pistol got "broken in" and I played with the firing pin force, the misfires stopped but the ejection problems continued, even with Eley Pistol Match. However, I tried lots of different ammo brands and found Wolf Pistol to work wonderfully. I've got about 10,000 rounds thru the pistol now and it is a pleasure to shoot.
elliott dushkin
jipe

Post by jipe »

I am looking for a replacement for my Walther GSP expert and am currently trying several pistols.

I tried the CM22 M and CM22 RF and must say that I was quite impressed. It performed much better than what I expected. The trigger and sights are quite good and the pistol is pretty stable. I also like its grip angle. It is also an incredibly small and lightweight pistol with the possibility to add weight to adjust its balance without making it too heavy.

I have now on my short list the CM22 RF and the Pardini SP new RF. Due to the unexpected good performances/feeling of the CM22 RF, I will shortly try agian the Pardini (that before my test of the CM22 RF was my choice) to make a final decision.

I know two people owning the new CM22 RF and their experience is positive: good performances and no problems, it seems to accept a wide range of ammunition. About the long term reliability, it is too new to have a valid feedback.

I have also tried:
- the Walther SSP, I rejected it for its trigger and also its complex design (it is also quite expensive).
- the FWB AW93, I rejected this one for its too vertical grip (this is one of the reasons to replace the GSP expert) and its trigger (like almost all FWB products, it is an expensive one).
- the Tesro TS22-3, I rejected it for its very high price (its baseline price is on the high side and when you add the mandatory options, then it become very expensive), the short commercial life of the two previous versions (it is possible to upgrade a TS22-2 toward a TS22-3... for about 50% of the price you paid your TS22-2) and because, even if the feelings I had were good, I got pretty bad results with it without knowing/understanding why (while the results of the 4 others were OK).

I didn't consider the MG2 due to the very bad experience of many owners (while some others didn't experience problems and like it a lot). It seems to be a pistol that doesn't leave anybody neutral, either you love it or you hate it.
CROB

Post by CROB »

Can you comment on the differences between the CM22 and the CM22 RF?

I have only seen pictrures, but the slide looks lighter, and there appears to be an extra length of metal under the barrel.
Is the trigger mechanism the same or changed as well?

Thanks for any feedback.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks Elliott and jipe, they are the type of responses I have been looking for...honest, analytical, and unbiased. I have owned several AW93's, and even thought they were reliable, there was something missing, they never felt like an extension of my shooting arm and my fast fire in standard pistol never was as controlled as with my FAS607. I have tried the Matchgun and fell in love with it totally, but my gunsmith has warned me as to potential misfires,malfunctions etc. , which I just cant live with in a competition based pistol. Finally, I have only held the Morini, and its lightness and grip angle were wonderful....but I have not fired one, and was wondering how the recoil stacked up against something like the MG2
thanks to both of you.
jipe

Post by jipe »

I had the opportunity to test both the CM22 RF and the CM22 M.

There are several technical differences, look here: http://www.interprodukter.se/ (click 'Nyheter').

The grip is different, it makes the pistol sligthly lower on the hand (about 4mm lower, for information a CM22M grip fit on the CM22RF but then the 4mm lowering is lost, a CM22RF grip doesn't fir on a CM22 M), it has a sligthly bigger angle (less vertical), its shape is also different (sligthly more bulky) and there are only two imprint for the fingers. One remark about this grip: its size seems bigger than the Morini of the Steyr AP and much bigger than Rink grips. The palmrest range of adjustement is more limited than the one of the Steyr Morini and of the Rink grips.

The slider and springs are different with some recoil absorber and when you fire the pistol, it is more stable, it is actually a very smooth/soft shooting.

The metal length under the barrel is a rail for additional weights that also allow to adjust the balance (it is an option on the CM22 M but is standard delivered with the CM22 RF). The pistol without weights feels less noise heavy than the SSP.

I couldn't really feel a difference in the triggers, I think they are the same.

Actually, when you have it in your hand, due to the grip shape and angle, it feels pretty much like an AP.
CROB

Post by CROB »

Thanks for the feedback - exactly what I was after.

My son (12, but he's big) is getting into pistol shooting and I haven't been able to find a cheap "junior" sport pistol.
If this is lighter it might suit him, and he finds my AW93 too upright.

Of course this is a bit "high end" for a junior - but then I might like it too....;-)

Thanks
jipe

Post by jipe »

CROB wrote:Thanks for the feedback - exactly what I was after.

My son (12, but he's big) is getting into pistol shooting and I haven't been able to find a cheap "junior" sport pistol.
If this is lighter it might suit him, and he finds my AW93 too upright.

Of course this is a bit "high end" for a junior - but then I might like it too....;-)

Thanks
I think its a very good option: its light now and he can later add weights and by doing so, adjust the pistol balance.

The only other light alternative I see is the SSP but its more expensive.

I tried the Pardini SP new this afternoon (the one I tested previously was the old model) and didn't like it: with the new muzzle lweight, it became heavier and noise heavy. The RP version, even more. The trigger is better than it was (new trigger blade with more adjustments) but isn't better than the Morini. The stability is also comparable to the CM22 RF that is not noise heavy and much lighter (the weight difference is more than 200g) with the possibility to adjust balance/increase weight not possible with the Pardini.

So I think I will go for the CM22 RF.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Thanks jipe,very informative. Do you or anyone else know if the RF version is available in Aluminium as well as steel?
Gort

Post by Gort »

I have been very interested in the Morini CM22RF, Inquiries to our host provided information from Morini that the RF version is available in aluminum only. I was under the impression that the current trend in Rapid Fire pistols was for +1200 grams, the Al version is around 900 grams.
This has me puzzeled.
Gort
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Even more puzzling is the fact that the RF version isn't even listed on Morini's website. By the way, thanks Gort.
jipe

Post by jipe »

Gort wrote:I have been very interested in the Morini CM22RF, Inquiries to our host provided information from Morini that the RF version is available in aluminum only.
Indeed the RF is aluminium only. Even for the CM22M where there is a steel version, they sell almost only the aluminium version.
Gort wrote:I was under the impression that the current trend in Rapid Fire pistols was for +1200 grams, the Al version is around 900 grams.
This has me puzzeled.
Gort
The CM22RF is even less: 850g (without additional weight but with the rail mounted).
No, the recent pistols are low weight: the SSP is 960gr, the MG2 900 or 970, the TS22 1050g (as always, the weight will vary with the size of the grip).

This is I think nice since it gives the possibility to each shooter to add weigths to adjust the balance and the total weight as he likes. what is not possible with an heavy pistol.
deadeyedick wrote:Even more puzzling is the fact that the RF version isn't even listed on Morini's website. By the way, thanks Gort.
It is not up to date, weapons manufacturers are often not so good at making clear, up to date websites.

Post by Guest »

I won't be half as useful as Jipe, sorry for this (I'm quite new in pistol shooting outside mere military entertainment).
I'm owning a Morini RF since something like a year and though I've been experiencing some occasional ejection troubles (that certainly can be solved with appropriate amunitions than my very basic ones).

This pistol is just a fantastic artpiece. I lack the experience of a talented shooter but since I have this gun, every effort becomes a real pleasure time and results are slowly rising to... Decent 8).

DS
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

I am not sure what NEW Cm22RF you all are talking about.
Today I have tested the LATEST CM22RF.
The lower part is steel, alloy frame is no more! Upper part (slide) is alloy or steel.
Balance is better than before, this NEW gun is a dream to shoot.
Kent
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

I may even post a photo, IF you are interested.
Kent
jipe

Post by jipe »

Reinhamre wrote:I may even post a photo, IF you are interested.
Kent
Yes, I am interested, please do.

I suppose that this version is heavier than the previous one ?
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

I just think that the balance has been improved.
Here is the photo
Kent
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

OP quote "baseline price is on the high side and when you add the mandatory options"

What exactly is a mandatory option? Sounds a lot like your not getting the gun in its best form possible stock but perhaps would need to spend more to get them and without them you just could not compete or something. Also kind of sounds like "jobs saved or created."

Car Dealer - Yes the leather seats are options that are mandatory if you want to buy the car.

Bo
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

As I understand it, Morini is going to have only one .22 and that is CM22RF.
The lower part is steel and the upper part is steel OR alloy.

I will buy a CM22RF (again) next year AND keep my Pardini SP NEW!
Kent