Sight Picture - Ap and Sport pistol? Center? Sub 6 or both?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
OntPstlShooter

Sight Picture - Ap and Sport pistol? Center? Sub 6 or both?

Post by OntPstlShooter »

Hi Folks

I've been doing a bunch of reading and searching.

I've only found one post that refers to the rapid fire sight picture and it wasn't all that helpful.

Right now I shoot sub 6 for AP and the precision stage of Sport. I change my sights for the rapid fire but I end up at a sub center for rapid.

Another factor to consider: I'm short - only 5'2" on a good day. I consider this pertinent because it seems like a long way from 45 degrees to on the target when you're going all the way to 90 degrees.

So ... for all those with opinions, does it make more sense to stick with center across the board? What is the preferred sight picture for rapid?

Thanks in advance for your posts and happy new year.
Dogchaser

Post by Dogchaser »

I hold a tight 6 for A/P, Free and Standard.

It seems to work for me.

Sub 6 works for group size, but placement suffers between days and sometimes consecutive targets.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Ont:

Assuming you've read the (recent and various) other posts on this subject (according to your post, you have) . . . and have read the tradeoffs (pros/cons) between each form of sight picture . . .

I'm not sure what your quandary is? Your question is somewhat unclear- are you trying to optimize for sight picture for acquisiition (speed, but sloppy) or precision (tighter, but slighlty slower)?

There are trade-offs . . . what are you trying to accomplish? Which discipline are you shooting? I assume "Sport Pistol;" and as I interpret your post you suggest that you are currently using a sub six for precision stage and center for timed/rapid? Why are you switching?

Steve Swartz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:I assume "Sport Pistol;" and as I interpret your post you suggest that you are currently using a sub six for precision stage and center for timed/rapid? Why are you switching?
Steve, I think you are confusing Sport and Standard (or it may be a definition thing). By talking about Sport I assumed the original post was refering to the match now called "25 m Pistol" by the ISSF and also obviously shot to the same course of fire as "25 m Center Fire Pistol".

If my assumption was correct then it is quite reasonable, because of the different targets, to use a different hold for the precision and rapid sections.

When I used to shoot CF I always used a deep sub-six hold on the precision and a sub-centre hold for the rapid. When using a center hold for the rapid section I found that it was quite easy to be +/- 2" vertically with very little change in the perceived sight picture. By aiming sub-center that same vertical aiming variation would be much easier to recognise because of the changing width of the black.

Even the introduction of the white horizontal bars on the target did not change, for me, the aiming error recognition advantage that the sub-center hold gave. I do appreciate however that the situation could be different with varying light quality/strength and also the shooter's preferred lens strength.