Browning Medalist Question

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

usmc69

Browning Medalist Question

Post by usmc69 »

Saw a Browning Medalist today at the local gunshop. They had taken it in in trade. It is in a case that has a Browning Medallion inside. There are three screw in barrel weights for it and the adapter for them. Also a wooden forend that comes off so the weight adapter can be mounted There is also a folding screw driver in the box that looks to be part of the set. There is a bullet block in the box that also looks to be part of the set. There is only one magazine with the pistol. Condition is superb about 99% with one small rust spot under the forend wood about the size of a head of a pin. Anyone care to venture a guess as to the value of the gun and cased set?
corning

Post by corning »

I have seen them on gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, and gunsinternational.com. Prices range from $800 on up. Sweet looking gun, but since it's a belgium browning, it is commanding top dollar...
usmc69

Post by usmc69 »

Trying to figure out if I should get it. Don't shoot matches and I have a Walther GSP and a Ruger 22/45 match pistol. Will maybe wait to see what the price is that it is offered to me.
Mike Taylor

Medalist

Post by Mike Taylor »

A particularly 'neat' feature of the Medalist of which you might not be aware is the dry-fire capability. The manual safety can be manipulated into a position where it permits a partial hammer fall (when the trigger is pulled). Pressing on the safety lever recocks the hammer. So it is possible to do dry-firing without any danger of the firing pin contacting the chamber end of the barrel. The manual safety lever can be manipulated to return to its 'normal' function when dry-firing practice/training is over. It is somewhat more difficult to get the lever into the 'normal' position than into the 'dry-fire' position, but a little practice will overcome that.
The Medalist also came with a small pin (approx. 3/32 dia x 1 inch long) that could be fitted into a pin-hole at the top of the RH grip (near the ejection port). This served to alter the path of ejected empty cases (which otherwise tended to shower on the shooter to your immediate right). I did observe that with the pin in place, I suffered more empty cases being trapped by the slide (stove-pipe) - not a lot more, just more than without the pin.
A Medalist was my first pistol, so I have a particular affection for them.
Mike T.
usmc69

Well, now I own it and.....

Post by usmc69 »

Well, now I own it and am not sorry in the least. It shoots very well, as good as my Walther GSP. I took it to the range about an hour after buying it. Put about 100 rounds through it. Nothing outside the 7 ring on a B-16 pistol target at 15 yards. Most of the shots were in the 9 & 10 ring with the center gone. This may become my No.1 gun, in front of the Walther GSP and my Ruger Match 22/45. I am impressed to say the least! The cased gun was complete...I took the bullet block out to clean it and forgot to put it back in. I do need an owner's manual....does anyone know where to get one? The original key is in the cellophane below where the bullet block is supposed to be. Price OTD was $795.

corning

Post by corning »

It looks very nice. It should give you great enjoyment. Good luck with it (you lucky dog)!
timosh

Browning Medalist owner's manual.

Post by timosh »

usmc69:

Did you ever get a copy of the Medalist owner's manual from your request back in 2007?

I was looking for replacement mags for my Medalist, and found your post. I have my manual from 1973, and would be glad to scan it to a .pdf and email it to you.

Hope you've enjoyed your Medalist.

email me at osassumpATyahooDOTcom if you want a copy.

timosh
the_doctor

Post by the_doctor »

corning wrote:I have seen them on gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, and gunsinternational.com. Prices range from $800 on up. Sweet looking gun, but since it's a belgium browning, it is commanding top dollar...
How is the Browning Buckmark different from the Medalist?

thanks
bill
Brayhaven

Post by Brayhaven »

the_doctor wrote:
corning wrote:I have seen them on gunbroker.com, gunsamerica.com, and gunsinternational.com. Prices range from $800 on up. Sweet looking gun, but since it's a belgium browning, it is commanding top dollar...
How is the Browning Buckmark different from the Medalist?

thanks
bill
Not even a comparison....
Bob-Riegl

Post by Bob-Riegl »

Try this site http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm It has gun manuals for a lot of Browning products. "Doc"
Brayhaven

Post by Brayhaven »

Looks like you got a good buy on this Medalist. Congrats! These older 22 target pistols are a lot of fun to shoot & are, I believe, a better bullseye shooters choice than the low-mid priced newer guns that don't have the quality these have. The ones like Hamden HS mod HDM, 104-6 & 7's, The medalist (in europe they were sold as FN 150 (w/o forend). Colt MT woodsman, Early Hammerli 208, etc. are all great guns, at least as accurate & better made guns @ about the same price as some entry level 22's. I shoot mine a lot at the range & do about as well as I do with my GSP's in matches..
I even have a ziegenhahn :).. Greg