glove on right hand?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nehemiah Gillman

glove on right hand?

Post by Nehemiah Gillman »

Hello everyone I am junior that mainly shoots rifle but am getting into air pistol. When I shoot rifle I use a glove on my right hand (I'm right-handed), I know this is legal in rifle competition but I was wondering if it would be legal to use some type of a glove in air pistol.

Thanks in advance,
Nehemiah Gillman
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The bigger question is why would you want to? What do you think wearing a glove on your shooting hand is going to do for you?
Nehemiah Gillman

Well to answer your question, it improves my grip on the rifle. Also, I don't like the feel of the stippled surface on my rifle grips. I have an Anschutz 2002 CA and an Anschutz 1813, both have a stippled pistol grip. I have tried pistol with and without a glove and I believe my holding area decreases with the glove.

Nehemiah Gillman
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

I have actually thought about it myself. I was thinking to use a used golf glove and cutting the index finger of the glove. Certainly would improve the grip.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I can think of no reason to stop you wearing a glove provided that it doesn't cover the wrist.

I would however echo Richards question, why would you want to. If you don't like the grip then do something about improving it.
Spencer

Re: glove on right hand?

Post by Spencer »

Nehemiah Gillman wrote:Hello everyone I am junior that mainly shoots rifle but am getting into air pistol. When I shoot rifle I use a glove on my right hand (I'm right-handed), I know this is legal in rifle competition but I was wondering if it would be legal to use some type of a glove in air pistol.

Thanks in advance,
Nehemiah Gillman
Be sure you comply with 8.6.1.1 ...The wrist must be visibly free of support.

Spencer
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Nehemiah Gillman wrote: I have tried pistol with and without a glove and I believe my holding area decreases with the glove.

Nehemiah Gillman
I doubt it.

If the grip on your pistol, doesn't feel right, then alter and/or change the grip. Many (most?) shooters have spent a great deal of time with sandpaper, dremel, and epoxy putty getting their grip to properly fit their hand. You want maximum contact between skin and grips. Using a glove just adds another interface layer between you and the gun.

Don Nygord wrote the classic on how pistol grips should fit: http://www.nygord-precision.com/
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

David:

Is there not a rule that could be interpreted as prohibiting "artificial support?"

A glove on the hand could certainly be argued as providing artificial support; even if it does not support the wrist it could certainly support the gripping action of the fingers of the hand.

Personally, I think it would be more of a hindrance than a help; but consider that for some people with undeveloped/insufficient grip technique it could provide a temporary "crutch" at the lower levels of competition.

Steve Swartz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:Is there not a rule that could be interpreted as prohibiting "artificial support?"
Steve, I think the closest one is 8.4.7.3:-

"The use of any special devices, means or garments which immobilize or unduly reduce the movement of the shooter’s legs, body or arms, is prohibited in order to ensure that the performance skills of the shooters are not artificially improved by special clothing."

It doesn't really apply to a glove as I read it.
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Steve Swartz wrote:David:

Personally, I think it would be more of a hindrance than a help; but consider that for some people with undeveloped/insufficient grip technique it could provide a temporary "crutch" at the lower levels of competition.

Steve Swartz
I actually disagree, I don't think a glove should be seen as just holding the grip better, it just gives you a different feel, it may not be for everybody, but I can certainly understand how it could, even if it was only psychological... Some pro. driver/racer use driving glove, some don't. Some pro golfer use 2 gloves where most use one. I think it may be more about the feel of "compactness" a glove may give you...
I don't think wearing a glove would prevent you from participating and doing well at higher level competition either...
fred.mannis

Post by fred.mannis »

Steve Swartz wrote:
Steve, IMHO,
If a glove were permitted, and it improved performance, then I am sure we would be seeing them in use at higher levels of competition.

A beginning shooter who uses such a temporary crutch is only going to make it more difficult for him to progress to higher levels.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

somewhereinla wrote:I don't think wearing a glove would prevent you from participating and doing well at higher level competition either...
The beuty of a properly fitting grip, apart from allowing you to consistenly align the sights and release the trigger, is that it immediately lets you know when you aren't holding it right. It will only feel comfortable if held correctly.

I feel that wearing a glove might mask that important feedback.
Nehemiah Gillman

Well I would modify the grip to properly fit my hand. Unfortunately I am borrowing a Feinwerkbau Model 2 from a friend, so I really cannot modify the pistol to my wishes. I assure you that if I owned my own gun I would modify the grip.
As far as the legality of a glove is concerned, most gloves that are made for the right hand (Sauer "Contact", or the Kustermann "Trigger Glove") do cover the wrist. I think I will talk to some of the people that did equipment control for the Junior Olympics and see if they would declare a glove illegal or allow it.

Thanks,
Nehemiah
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Nehemiah Gillman wrote:As far as the legality of a glove is concerned, most gloves that are made for the right hand (Sauer "Contact", or the Kustermann "Trigger Glove") do cover the wrist. I think I will talk to some of the people that did equipment control for the Junior Olympics and see if they would declare a glove illegal or allow it.
Remember that those gloves are made for rifle where there is no equivalent to rule 8.6.1.1 "The wrist must be visibly free of support."

If they think a glove that covers the wrist is legal, ask them how it complies with that rule.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

How does a jacket or long sleeved shirt comply, which are often seen on the line at World Cups?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:How does a jacket or long sleeved shirt comply, which are often seen on the line at World Cups?
Jackets and long sleeved shirts are fine, providing they are worn in such a way that the wrist is visibly free of support.

If they do cover the wrist then you need to ask the jury why they are allowing it.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The rule actaully say it has to be "free of visible support" it doesn't say the the wrist has to be visible and technically I guess you could have invisible support.

Take a look at the photos of the finals in any of the 2007 World Cups and there are guys with jacket right down to their wrists, I'm not going to waste space posting them as most here know where to find them on ISSF-TV.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Richard H wrote:The rule actaully say it has to be "free of visible support" it doesn't say the the wrist has to be visible and technically I guess you could have invisible support.
You're wrong I'm afraid Richard.

8.6.1.1 The shooter must stand free, without support, with both feet
and/or shoes completely within the firing point. The pistol must be
held and fired with one hand only. The wrist must be visibly free
of support.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

David Levene wrote:
Richard H wrote:The rule actaully say it has to be "free of visible support" it doesn't say the the wrist has to be visible and technically I guess you could have invisible support.

of support.
So, if a R.O. came over to a shooter wearing long sleeves and asked him to pull back the sleeve so that the R.O. could see that that the wrist was usupported, then the shooter would be in compliance. Right?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Fred Mannis wrote:
David Levene wrote:

of support.
So, if a R.O. came over to a shooter wearing long sleeves and asked him to pull back the sleeve so that the R.O. could see that that the wrist was usupported, then the shooter would be in compliance. Right?
Yes. Long sleeved shirts are specifically allowed under 8.4.7.2.2

Theoretically the wrist should always be visibly free of support but if the sleeve accidentally slipped down to the wrist for the occasional shot I thing that common sense would prevail.