MG2 and other models

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
tleddy

MG2 and other models

Post by tleddy »

I have been reading the comments on the MG2 and decided to do a search on the Buy,Sell Trade area. Interestingly, there are no MG's listed for sale. I could not find a reference as to where to purchase one.

Not sure what conclusion to draw from this, perhaps a love-hate by the owners and a desire to hold on no matter what?

Any how, I am curious - anyone have one that more or less functions for sale?

Tillman
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Ask Max the Mad hatter, as loud as he's crying he must have several of them lying around. As for the rest of us, especially those with the more-than-less working ones, I can't imagine anyone selling it :-)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Tycho wrote:Ask Max the Mad hatter, as loud as he's crying he must have several of them lying around. As for the rest of us, especially those with the more-than-less working ones, I can't imagine anyone selling it :-)
Hahahahahahahahahhah!!!!
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

There truly are very few MG-2's available on the used market. There are not that many of them in use, and they haven't been around for long enough for people to want to move on to a "newer" gun, especially since the MG-2 IS one of the newer guns.

Frankly, I would recommend that you buy a new one as it will have all the newest production modifications installed. And if anything goes wrong then you will have a very strong case for a warranty claim. Matchguns has been doing a pretty good job of looking after their customers in North America (can't comment on European customers) so this seems like a very safe bet.
tleddy

Matchguns

Post by tleddy »

Mark-

That is probably an excellent idea... now, I have not found a USA dealer to contact as yet. Matchguns suggested ISS in Ft. Worth TX and I have not heard back from them yet.

Does anyone on the list have suggestions?

Interestingly, our host, Pilkington, was one of the dealers Matchguns suggested but none are on their website. I have dealt with Pilkington and trust them explicitly - has anyone had experience with ISS?

Tillman
Fred Mannis

Re: Matchguns

Post by Fred Mannis »

tleddy wrote: - has anyone had experience with ISS?

Tillman
I spoke to Neal for the first time a few weeks ago to buy a few items. He is very knowledgeable and a great person to deal with. I've heard the same from others.
Ernie Rodriguez

ISS Shooting

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

I have known/dealt with Neal S. over 4 years and if all dealers/vendors would take care of their customers like Neal does-there would be a lot LESS complaining by people running into problems with pistols.
James

Post by James »

Try calling Neal, he responded to my emails promptly however.

No Mg2 for sale?

Post by 56 »

Tycho wrote: Ask Max the Mad hatter....
As for the rest of us, especially those with the more-than-less working ones, I can't imagine anyone selling it :-)
A "less than more" working MG2 specimen demands a relatively low seconhand price, dont you think?
Mine, in its present condition, is worth about nil, i have realized.
tleddy

Guest 56

Post by tleddy »

I would feel guilty about paying nil for your MG... how about a nominal purchase amount, say $100.00, and I'll pick up the shipping?

Just kidding, of course!

Send it back to MG and they should fix it.
\
Tillman
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Why send it back, its much more fun to complain on forums about it to people who can't fix your problems ;)
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Sorry to spoil the fun, but there are not many MG2 sold compared to other pistols. Why isn't MG2 popular? The answer should be pretty obvious by now...
Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

Mad Max wrote:Sorry to spoil the fun, but there are not many MG2 sold compared to other pistols. Why isn't MG2 popular? The answer should be pretty obvious by now...
Wow. Now you know the quantities of pistols being sold by the main manufacturers? I'd ask you to share that information with us, except we all know that you don't actually have any such information, kind of like your earlier ignorant claim that MG-2's weren't being used in World Cups. Suffice it to say that most of what you write has no credibility. In fact, I have begun to seriously doubt that you even own an MG-2.

Thanks,
Ted
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yo, 56 - give me your adress, I'll arrange for shipping and paperwork. A MG2 for nil - I'll take that anytime!
tleddy

MG etc

Post by tleddy »

Well - we have established (I think) that there are no used MG2 for sale (I have looked all over the net).

The last serial number seen by me is in the 16xx range - anyone seen a higher number?

Just a little side note as to guns and reliability from limited personal experience:

HiStandard
Giles mod - accurate to <1.0 inch and 100% reliable
Factory Victor - never checked with Ransom but 96-99% reliable

Marvel - <1.0 and 98-99% , a little ammo sensitive

Kart - <0.75 inch and a real pain to keep running (but super when running) very magazine dependent

Model 41 - <1.0 and 99%

208s - <1.0 and up to 100% depending on ammo

GSP - not good for 50 yards, great for 25m and 100% with almost any ammo

H280 - never could get used to the gun so don't know

AW93 - <1.0 and ammo finicky - using CCI SV and Green with 99% right now.

MG2E - will let you know later. The mechanical MG2 has a very interesting trigger, sear-hammer arrangement, one part attached to the frame and the other to the upper - the electric model is supposed to have eliminated that issue.

Others are invited to compare their findings with the above.

Tillman
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Never put anything into a Ransom rest, but my experience has been as follows...

GSP: 100% reliable when dirty.

Hammerli 208: Very reliable.

Hammerli 280 (.22): Reliable if you had the bounds at the front of the magazine and the temperature was over 40 degrees. Didn't like cold weather.
Number 56

Value?

Post by Number 56 »

Tycho wrote:Yo, 56 - give me your adress, I'll arrange for shipping and paperwork. A MG2 for nil - I'll take that anytime!
The secondhand sales value of my MG2, in its present non-functional state is very low. "Close to nil" relative to its initial cost, yes.
The factory has reworked the barrel, milled off a few thousands of an inch from the breach end. Pistol did not feed at all with this altered barrel installed.
A new barrel is on its way, according to the factory officials.....

If my MG2 cannot be turned reliable, I will trade it off.
Not for "nil" but closer to "nil" than to its initial cost..BTW..:-)
jipe

Post by jipe »

The german magazine Visier (http://www.visier.de) has made an interresting test of most of the high end match .22lr pistols (Pardini SP/SP1, Walther GSP and SSP, Tesro TS22-3, Hammeli SP20 RRS, MG2, FWB AW93, Morini CM22M...).

They did also bench tests with a lot of different types of ammunitions.

There is one thing that is really amazing, one pistol is:
- more accurate than all the others
- is by far more accurate in average over all ammunition types tested, than the others
- is also quite accurate with all types of ammunitions tested.
This pistol is the Pardini. The two types, SP new with mechanical trigger and SP1 electronic, provided very close results.

All other pistols obtain their best accuracy only with a couple of ammunition types.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

jipe wrote:The german magazine Visier (http://www.visier.de) has made an interresting test of most of the high end match .22lr pistols (Pardini SP/SP1, Walther GSP and SSP, Tesro TS22-3, Hammeli SP20 RRS, MG2, FWB AW93, Morini CM22M...).

They did also bench tests with a lot of different types of ammunitions.

There is one thing that is really amazing, one pistol is:
- more accurate than all the others
- is by far more accurate in average over all ammunition types tested, than the others
- is also quite accurate with all types of ammunitions tested.
This pistol is the Pardini. The two types, SP new with mechanical trigger and SP1 electronic, provided very close results.

All other pistols obtain their best accuracy only with a couple of ammunition types.
Be interesting to see the results.
gunnery

Re: MG etc

Post by gunnery »

tleddy wrote: The last serial number seen by me is in the 16xx range - anyone seen a higher number?
22##