Shooting the same at comps as at the range

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
edster99

Shooting the same at comps as at the range

Post by edster99 »

Hi all

I've been to two open competitions so far, and have shot well below my average both times. There seems to be a lot of tension leading to poor trigger control, any advice?

thanks

Ed
Richard H

Re: Shooting the same at comps as at the range

Post by Richard H »

edster99 wrote:Hi all

I've been to two open competitions so far, and have shot well below my average both times. There seems to be a lot of tension leading to poor trigger control, any advice?

thanks

Ed
Welcome to the world of competitve shooting. It's easy to shoot great scores in ones basement much more difficult to shoot those scores under match pressure. This is where the mental stuff comes in play. The best thing you can do is shoot in more comps. and try to simulate pressure in your match simulation training.
edster99

how to simulate pressure ?

Post by edster99 »

mmm sounds about right. I knew it would happen in the first one, hoped i would pick up more than the 10 points I did as i'm still 25 off my PB. How can I simulate match pressure ? Any drills you could recommend?
Richard H

Re: how to simulate pressure ?

Post by Richard H »

edster99 wrote:mmm sounds about right. I knew it would happen in the first one, hoped i would pick up more than the 10 points I did as i'm still 25 off my PB. How can I simulate match pressure ? Any drills you could recommend?
It comes down to expectations as well, some people go to a comp and expect to shoot the same as their best score in practice, when really you should be looking to shoot within your average, if you shoot within your average or better you've done the best you can.