Mission to Manurhin

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dlb

Mission to Manurhin

Post by dlb »

There have been a few posts that discuss the direct import of handguns by US residents. I've been trying to acquire a Manurhin MR73 Match revolver. It doesn't appear that Chapuis Armes, Manurhin's owner, has a US distributor. The two companies that had carried them most recently no longer do.

Does anyone know of a Manurhin dealer overseas who sells to the US?

*Hermann's in Australia doesn't sell to the US any longer.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Don't know about the 73, but their 88 range seem to be nothing but Ruger knock-offs.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

In recent years, getting out of a foreign country has been a bigger problem than getting them into the US.

I have brought a number of pistols and revolvers into the US using the BATFE Form 6. There has never been a problem on this end.

Have you asked our sponsor? They are in the importing business:-)
dlb

Post by dlb »

Had you purchased from a retailer or distributor overseas, or from the company directly?
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I made my purchase from retailers, who obtained the appropriate documents in their country. They provided the information needed to complete the Form 6. I sent the Form 6 to BATFE. When it was approved, I scanned it and sent the scan to the seller.

After that it was just waiting for the package to arrive:-) My local FFL did the transfer to me.

Richard
Neil Foster

??

Post by Neil Foster »

Why would you want a revolver that it would be impossible to service, and get parts for in the US? Look for a nice S&W 14-3, they are SA only and out there.
Neil
jipe

Post by jipe »

MR73 is an exceptional revolver, a pure match revolver with a specific technology and nothing really compares to it for match use. Its manufacturing quality is also exceptional, Chapuis almost makes it for you like they make v ery high end game rifles.

When you wrote to Chapuis, take into account that many French people do not speak English.
dlb

Post by dlb »

When you wrote to Chapuis, take into account that many French people do not speak English.
That's what I'd assumed.

I'll bug Scott and a few other potential importers. But if anyone knows of a specific overseas retailer/distributor that's comfortable handling the export of a MR73, please contact me.

I've contacted Hermann's in Australia, as he has sold these to the US before, but it's apparent that Hermann isn't interested - It seems that he'd had a bad experience with US buyers.

thanks
K38

.32?

Post by K38 »

have been trying for many years to find a match quality.32 revolver. .38 would do fine, but it is not what I wanted. Did you want to get the gun in.32 or .38? Let mw know if you have any luck. I may be able to add to your order. ($2000???)

Dwight
K38

Post by K38 »

mistake
Last edited by K38 on Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Florey

Re: Mission to Manurhin

Post by Florey »

dlb wrote:There have been a few posts that discuss the direct import of handguns by US residents. I've been trying to acquire a Manurhin MR73 Match revolver. It doesn't appear that Chapuis Armes, Manurhin's owner, has a US distributor. The two companies that had carried them most recently no longer do.

Does anyone know of a Manurhin dealer overseas who sells to the US?

*Hermann's in Australia doesn't sell to the US any longer.
They are in stock in Australia. I bought a .32 Match a couple of months ago and was so pleased with it that I have now ordered the .38 Match.

The importer is www.parabellumimports.com.au and their retail arm is

www.viccityarms.com.au. They have the .32 s listed on their website.

Don't knock the MR88 either. The barrel and cylinder on the MR88 are from the MR73 and the whole gun is finely made & finished that makes Rugers look like rubbish
Neil Foster

Post by Neil Foster »

At over $2000. US plus shipping via air, converted from AU $, this is a very expensive revolver. In the US parts are readily available for the K-38 Model 14-3. You should be able to find a nice SA one for about $450 or so. And it is a product made in the USA!!
Neil
Jiri

Post by Jiri »

Hermann's lists the match revolver at $1499 USD not 'over $2000'. Also the 14-3 is not a SA revolver. Some were built for SA, but not most.

I hope I will not upset people by stating that the Manurhin is much more accurate than a Model 14. Their match revolver is rated for 20mm at 25M. With the cost of a Model 14 + the work needed to achieve such accuracy, you could easily spend more than the cost of a Manurhin.
Neil Foster

Post by Neil Foster »

Sorry Jiri,
14-3's were built as SA, I have one along with the original box and documentation. It is marked on the box as SA. According to "The Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson", 3rd Edition the 14-3 SA was manufactured between 1961-1962. Standard K-38 Model 14-3 were also designated as 14-3. However, only some 14-3's were made by S&W as SA. Most were 6" bbls., there were some rare ones with 8 3/8" bbls. The series of the K-38 ran from 14 to 14-7, the 14-7 was discontinued in November 1999
Neil
K38

14-3

Post by K38 »

The gun to get your hands on would be the S&W model 16-3 in .32 S&W Long. These are very rare and command a price in the $2000 area. I don't know if there are any made as single action only but any K32 is quite a find. There were 14-2, 14-3, and 14-4 made as single action only and there were factory sets of SAO hammers and triggers sold on a vacuum packed card. I have a custom job that is a Model 15-3 (K38 combat masterpiece) with a 6" model 14 barrel it has a Bo-Mar rib and a factory single action trigger and hammer set (very wide trigger and hammer for single action rapid fire) this was assembled by Alex Hamilton at Ten Ring Precision. and had a little extra work by Allen Tanaka at AT Custom. I like the gun very much and it shoots well and is not too heavy for one handed use. I am not sure the action or trigger pull is all that much different from my Model 14-3 double action or my Model 15-8 5" Ed Mcgivern commemorative from the performance center. I know that you really have to "letter" any Model 14 to find out if it left the factory as a single action. I also have no information if the single action only guns started before the Model 14-2.

K38

Dwight
K38

Bo-Mar

Post by K38 »

The big improvement on the Custom K38 is the Bo-Mar rib. This is a much better sight than the S&W and since it is all one piece it is easy to get installed. Aristocrat lists an aluminum sight rib now as well these are very wide for a PPC Bull barrel, but could be adapted. Bo-Mar may be out of business as Bob (the Bo in Bo-Mar) has died in a car accident and most sources list Bo-Mar products as out of stock. The situation is up in the air however. I needed to use a safe-edge file to open the rear site as it was very tight for my old eyes.

Dwight
Florey

Post by Florey »

Neil Foster wrote:At over $2000. US plus shipping via air, converted from AU $, this is a very expensive revolver. In the US parts are readily available for the K-38 Model 14-3. You should be able to find a nice SA one for about $450 or so. And it is a product made in the USA!!
Neil
You get what you pay for...

The quality, fit & finish and accuracy of the MR73 is truly astounding.....

Buy a Manurhin, you won't regret it...
Spencer

Re: Bo-Mar

Post by Spencer »

K38 wrote:The big improvement on the Custom K38 is the Bo-Mar rib. This is a much better sight than the S&W and since it is all one piece it is easy to get installed. Aristocrat lists an aluminum sight rib now as well these are very wide for a PPC Bull barrel, but could be adapted. Bo-Mar may be out of business as Bob (the Bo in Bo-Mar) has died in a car accident and most sources list Bo-Mar products as out of stock. The situation is up in the air however. I needed to use a safe-edge file to open the rear site as it was very tight for my old eyes.

Dwight
A slightly lower front sight to accommodate 'sub-6' aiming I can understand, but what is the adavantage for ISSF of a sight rib on a K38?

Spencer
K38

Bo-Mar

Post by K38 »

Bo-Mar sights offer a much better sight picture than the original. and they do not raise the sight line an lot. The sights are much more repeatable and the extra weight is not such a bad thing on a .38. The rib adds 100 grams and raises the sight line 4mm from the stock sight. There is also a replacement sight blade available for the S&W rear sight that gives a better sight picture.

Dwight
Fred

Re: Bo-Mar

Post by Fred »

K38 wrote:There is also a replacement sight blade available for the S&W rear sight that gives a better sight picture.Dwight
Dwight,

Could you please provide information about this rear sight blade, esp. where to get one? Does it require any mod to the front sight?

TIA,
FredB