.22 accurate without problems

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
saltysteve

.22 accurate without problems

Post by saltysteve »

hey guys new here and im looking for a .22 pistol with the least problems and the most fun to shoot. i want to shoot just for fun but it must be quailty
any suggestions of what to look at?
Fred Mannis

Re: .22 accurate without problems

Post by Fred Mannis »

saltysteve wrote:hey guys new here and im looking for a .22 pistol with the least problems and the most fun to shoot. i want to shoot just for fun but it must be quailty
How much are you willing to spend?
What do you mean 'for fun' - plinking, club level matches,...? If matches, what kind of matches?
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

If you want a .22 handgun to shoot just for fun, I'll suggest a revolver, such as S&W K22, Colt Officers Match etc... these are well made guns, and should last a long time if taken care of. However, they could be more costly than current production model.

Others to consider: High Standard and Ruger semi auto, the Ruger can be acquire at a fairly reasonable price especially if you don't mind a 2nd. hand one and can be upgraded with aftermarket parts. Also Ruger single action revolver of various models. With revolver, as long as the ammo goes bang, you won't have any fuctioning problems, if you like a good quality .22 handgun and fun to shoot, I'll consider a revolver and stay away from expensive target pistols.

Tony
saltysteve

Post by saltysteve »

yes basically plinking. looking for a low maintanence - a revolver would be okay but id like to have at least a 10 rounder
K38

Post by K38 »

A Ruger with adjustable sights and a 5.5" barrel. Send gun and magazines to Clarks for a trigger and reliability job. Mine has been done and we have even tried to get it to stop loading 10 different kinds of .22 in one magazine - never missed a beat. I know it is a PITA to have to work over a new gun, but Clarks knows Rugers. A Smith Model 17 is also a fine gun - I have two and a Colt OMM in .22.

Dwight
Last edited by K38 on Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

SaltySteve:

There are about 12 different recommendations ranging form $300 to $2300 that all fit the criteria you mention.

1. How accuarate?
2. How reliable?
3. How much are you willing to spend?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

saltysteve wrote:yes basically plinking. looking for a low maintanence - a revolver would be okay but id like to have at least a 10 rounder
plinking, low maintenance, 10 shot=S&W model 617. The Taurus model 970 22 revolver holds 7 shots and costs considerable less. The other advantage to a revolver for plinking is that it will handle any type of 22lr ammo. Autoloaders can be more picky about ammo.
Tony C.

Post by Tony C. »

The Smith & Wesson model 617 is a .22 revolver comes in either a 6 or 10 rds cylinder.

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index. ... 4663/69D98
saltysteve

Post by saltysteve »

that 617 does look nice- how do the bucks and rugers compare to it? with $ and accuracy?
tenex

Re: .22 accurate without problems

Post by tenex »

saltysteve wrote:hey guys new here and im looking for a .22 pistol with the least problems and the most fun to shoot. i want to shoot just for fun but it must be quailty
Hi Steve,
If you like classic pistols, I'd recommend a S&W model 41. They're well made, versatile, and just about the easiest .22 on the planet to clean. You can buy extra barrels and mount red dots, scopes, or shoot plain iron sights if you wish. You can get fancy anatomical target grips, or just shoot the stock grips (which aren't too bad).

Out of the box they are good enough to be competitive in your local bullseye or standard pistol matches, and won't need a trip to the gunsmith before you can shoot it.

they are in current production, so you can get magazines and parts as needed, and if you buy a used one the factory will be able to take care of it.

I've got a lot of .22's, but I think my 41 is the most fun to shoot.

Steve.
saltysteve

Post by saltysteve »

the 41 is one on my list i was thinking of getting. i hear great things about them. how finicky are they with shooting all brands of rounds? and what do you think about the S&W 617 10 round to compare?
tenex

Post by tenex »

saltysteve wrote:the 41 is one on my list i was thinking of getting. i hear great things about them. how finicky are they with shooting all brands of rounds? and what do you think about the S&W 617 10 round to compare?
Steve,
Mine is 100% reliable with CCI ammo, not quite 100% with some other brands (but they shoot ok). If I wasn't shooting a match it wouldn't be that big a deal. I'm a big fan of the 617, but I think the 41 is a bit more versatile. If you want to shoot bullseye some day, the 41 would be a better choice. The trigger is set to about the right weight, and if you want you can get a proper target grip for the 41 (easier than for the 617).

The only potential issue I've seen is that the 41 doesn't seem to fit shooters with short fingers. I have long fingers and the gun fits me perfectly, but I know two people that really have to struggle to reach the trigger of the 41. In that respect the fancy match pistols are better (more adjustability), but you pay the price in convienience of operation, cleaning, etc.

I shoot a Pardini for most matches, and although I think it's a better machine for turning in high scores, I still like the 41 for general target practice. It's easy to shoot, easy to clean, and you can get a few barrels and experiment. I bought mine with a short (heavy) barrel, and later put on the longer (but lighter) barrel which I prefer. Although I don't shoot my absolute best scores with it, the 41 is one of my favorite guns to shoot, and I turn in pretty good scores.

If your only desire is to informally shoot at some targets, I think either the 41 or 617 would be fine. Since I shoot bullseye, I'm biased towards the automatics, but if I got a deal on a 617, I'd buy one.

Steve.
saltysteve

Post by saltysteve »

tenex - thanx that was very helpful to me. the only reasons i have to even still consider the 617 are lack of ammo misfires and $. maybe resale too? i ve seen alot more people using a 41 than a 617- it just seems to be a higher demand.
what is the newer and lighter barrel- after market? and where should i look to buy either of these new or use ( used would be better for me)?

Post by Guest »

I may get flamed for saying this but I shoot a Ruger in Bullseye comp and can keep up with the $1200+ guns. If it is just for fun I would go with the Ruger and the money saved buy a lot of ammo to have fun with.
saltysteve

Post by saltysteve »

yea but arent those rugers a PITA to take apart and clean???
tenex

Post by tenex »

saltysteve wrote:tenex - thanx that was very helpful to me. the only reasons i have to even still consider the 617 are lack of ammo misfires and $. maybe resale too? i ve seen alot more people using a 41 than a 617- it just seems to be a higher demand.
what is the newer and lighter barrel- after market? and where should i look to buy either of these new or use ( used would be better for me)?
Steve,
The current model 41 comes in 2 configurations: with a heavy 5" barrel, or with a lighter (thinner) 7 1/2" barrel. You can buy the factory barrels from Gil Hebbard for around $150 or so.

I'm a firm believer that used automatic pistols are for sale for a reason. In the past 10 tears I've bought 3 used Ruger automatics and a high standard and 2 Rugers needed to go back to the factory (one of them 3 times!), and the 3rd was a little iffy. That being said, they did get fixed. If you buy a used pistol from a known source (or get to test it out) you should be ok, otherwise you might want to factor in a trip to the factory in the price.
Steve.
shadow

Cleaning A Ruger

Post by shadow »

Cleaning a Ruger can be a straight forward procedure IF you do it often enough. If you let a long period of time go by you will have to learn all over again.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »

Don't overlook the Browning Buckmark. As an entry level competition and a great plinking gun it is very accurate, (with the right ammo as with any .22). For sheer enjoyment and informal accuracy S&W 17/617 are excellant, and more reasonable in price. The Mod 41 is great, but new are now listed over $1000, and good used ones are around $750. The 617 (can be had with 10 shot cylinder) runs around $550 -$600. The Buckmark new (5" target barrel) runs around $425. The S&W will probably hold it's value better. You can sell a Mod 17/617 anywhere anytime.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »

Don't overlook the Browning Buckmark. As an entry level competition and a great plinking gun it is very accurate, (with the right ammo as with any .22). For sheer enjoyment and informal accuracy S&W 17/617 are excellant, and more reasonable in price. The Mod 41 is great, but new are now listed over $1000, and good used ones are around $750. The 617 (can be had with 10 shot cylinder) runs around $550 -$600. The Buckmark new (5" target barrel) runs around $425. The S&W will probably hold it's value better. You can sell a Mod 17/617 anywhere anytime.
PASA008

Post by PASA008 »