new 45 cal

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
flyrod_1

new 45 cal

Post by flyrod_1 »

Want a 45 cal to start shooting comp with. new out of the box what is the better 45 to buy. with out having one made. Not going to shoot alot to start, but I don't want something that going to break down if I do shoot alot. thank for the info.
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Open disclosure: I own a Rock River wadcutter, Pardini GT45 and some custom built 45's. I know people well who own Les Baer, Clark 1911s and of course S&W Revolvers.

Rock River Arms or Les Baer offer semi-production competition ready guns. Champions Choice and Gil Hebard Guns (no website) often stock Les Baer guns. I don't know if Jim Clark has guns ready to go or only build to order, but they make nice guns. Springfield Armory makes great guns that last but I've not had any experience with their bullseye ready guns.

Smith and Wesson and Sig 1911 pistols are very well spoken of and are generally accurate out of the box, but are probably a step below Rock River, Les Baer or Jim Clark guns in competition.

One other option is the Pardini GT45 available from Larrys Guns. The accuracy out of the box is good and the trigger is great. You need big hands to wrap around the double stack magazine well.

A few people shoot revolvers in bullseye. It would probably have to be a S&W Performance Shop gun, or go through a gunsmith to be bullseye ready, but that is probably the least expensive way to get a bullseye ready gun.

You don't see many Kimber, Para Ordinance, Charles Daley or "custom carry" pistols like Ed Brown, Wilson etc. You also don't see many guns that are not 1911's. You see a few revolvers and Pardini's, but I don't ever recall seeing a Glock or Sig on the line. My Sig is good for self defense and reasonably accurate at 25yds, but falls apart at 50yds.

Best of luck,
Steve Turner
dlb

Post by dlb »

If you don't have your heart set on a new pistol, you can find some great deals on used BE wad and hardball guns. These are often listed on Bullseye-L.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

I'd also recommend the bullseye list. You will find a lot better deals, and you can be certain that the guns are serious bullseye guns capable of serious performance.