Looking for a club in Los Angeles...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
somewhereinla

Looking for a club in Los Angeles...

Post by somewhereinla »

Unfortunately I am having a very hard time finding a club for air pistol in Los Angeles. I have researched most if not all shooting ranges in a 50 miles radius from where I live to see if any offered 10M air pistol events and not much luck there. I even wrote to Beeman, since they are located near Los Angeles asking them if they new of any, but never got any responses...
So I am pretty much learning on my own for now and relying and reading on other people experiences.

I can't believe that Los Angeles, a 10 million + city doesn't have some sort of club or associations for people shooting air pistols.

So if you know of any please do let me know.

thank you.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Did you check USA Shooting ... I'm pretty sure they still have a USA Shooting 10 meter air pistol match at Prado/Chino Hills once a month. I use to be very active ... but stopped for a number of years to go car racing. I might be back myself pretty soon.

Lots of Photos from Prado and the Phoenix Club ranges here:

(looks at the albums towards the bottom)

http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/international-style/
Mako

Post by Mako »

Looks like first Sunday of the month. Get in touch with Greg:

gregsueknutzen at msn.com
Mako

Post by Mako »

I use to also do a lot of pistol shooting at the very nice City of Industry indoor range:

http://www.ci.commerce.ca.us/marksmanrange.htm

... of course most indoor ranges aren't very well suited for airpistol. Your target at 10 meters will be buffeted by those .45's going off next to you. Free Pistol World Record holder, match plus finals, Bill Demarest got his neighborhood range to allow him to hang a stabilizing string with weight that would come to a rest against a "thing" on the floor that he had positioned at 10 meters. I think he used one of the end lanes so that he would at least only have one neighbor. btw. he shot 20,000 rounds of air and 20K of free in the year he won his Record. Same year he represented the US at the Sidney Olympics.

When I was looking for a new apartment, I made sure that I had at least 10 meters plus diagonally thru my place! :-)

If you go to the ISSF web site, you can find archived video of the finals of at least the recent World Cup matches in Bangkok. If you've never seen high level shooting ... interesting to see the Finals in Air. Note that nerves come to a fore in Finals ... and they usually shoot better during the regular match!
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

I did check USA Shooting and I am aware of the City of Industry indoor range. What I was hoping for was more of a club / association setting where members meet on a regular basis, shoot together and can share tips and technics. If this doesn't exist, I might be interesting to know if there were enough of us living in L.A to put together some sort of informal club, and the City of Industry would be an ideal place to meet since it's fairly central.
Mako

Post by Mako »

No there isn't enough interest. It's one of the reason's I left shooting ... nothing beyond the monthly matches. Getting a bunch to go out to lunch between air and free was all one could expect. It's partly because we are so spread out in Southern CA ... and traffic is so bad ... it's hard to get together. It's different say in Germany where every small town has a shooting club which is also a big part of their social life. Of course in Germany there is a saying, Three Germans, Two Clubs. They like structure.

There is the Phoenix German American Shooting Club ... but it's mainly stiff old german farts (I'm half old german fart) who have trouble getting even their own to join in. We had a monthly shooting event using their range. They didn't want to join in with us, and they really didn't seem to want us in their group.

I started shooting Bulls Eye so that I could enjoy the monthly matches at the Marksmanship range.

THIS, TargetTalk, is your "association." There is certainly coaching, etc. at the monthly USA Shooting matches at Prado. You can try out each others pistols, etc. Our big social event was going to Nationals ... which I did on three occasions.

I did get back to the Phoenix Club Tavern with a group ... of my racing buddies ... between runs at the Dromo1 indoor karting track down the street!

jestep

Same in San Antonio

Post by jestep »

Nothing here either for similar reasons I suppose. Texans are more into bullets than pellets it seems. I can't figure out if the shooters here are more into bang and boom than pfft and splat but one does get tired of throwing large junks of lead when precision paper punching is often more satisfying.

Good luck in LA . . .

You would think an Olympic event would have a bigger draw, huh?

Jim
jonathanseal

freepistol/air pistol in southern california

Post by jonathanseal »

I too would like to shoot free or air here.I have shot rimfire benchrest at prado,and hope to make the monthly matches,but my work is out of town a lot. Sofar , no luck!I have a 50m setup at home (Temecula) so if anyone is interested in a BBQ and shooting,feel free to contact me...jonathanseal@gmail.com , or 909-262-6476
paw080

Shootin Locally....

Post by paw080 »

Hi Johnathon, I live in Corona, and I shoot some 10 meter AP. You live
very close to LD(Larry Durham); he has invited me over to his place in
Wine Country to shoot AP 10 meter or AP Silhouette. He has 20+ acres
so he sometimes hosts very challenging FT matches. We really should get
together for some AP stuff. I'm having health issues now but I can fit
shooting in here and there. My adult son loves 10 meter AP shooting as
well. Here's my phone # (951) 371-8176
My son and I occasionally shoot the PTO monthly at Prado, but it is definetly
not a club atmosphere, they are courteous and friendly, but they are serious during the sessions.
Tony G
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Jonathan, Tony, maybe we could try to create a list of people living in the L.A / S.D area that are interested in informal meeting/match so that we could if not create a club, create some sort of community for people interested in shooting 10M AP.

My email is:
somewhereinla@mac.com.
Mako

Post by Mako »

Greg has that list:

gregsueknutzen at msn.com
CA Bullseye

Post by CA Bullseye »

Dear Somewhereinla, Paw080, & Jonathanseal:

I wish I had seen your posting earlier because I would have invited you to the Blackmountian Shooting Club match this past weekend at Prado. You are very luck to be in the Los Angeles area. I say that because I travel from Sacramento to Prado to shoot their monthly PTO.

Right now northern CA doesn’t have anything schedule as far as USA Shooting. I’ve offered to run some matches but I’m having a hard time getting dates schedule with the City of Sacramento at the city range. So for now I’ll continue to travel to where I need to and for now that would be Prado.

The Blackmountian Shooting Club is alive and well for now. Thanks to Greg K. and others who have picked up the rains since Sandy’s passing. Except for a few mishaps like the last two months the range staff took down all the target carriers and the matches had to be canceled (there is more to the story but no need to get into it now). Several clubs rent range time at Prado to put on their events and the range staff are responsible for the scheduling. But the match this past weekend went very well (air and free).

I would strongly suggest checking out the Blackmountian Shooting Club before looking at starting up another club. A club is what you make of it and like any other club it takes a lot of time and work to run. This means a need for both people and financial support.

So I would like extend an invite to you to the next match on Sunday, 2 Dec. Because it is the Jr Olympic match they are planning on having at least two relays for air pistol. The first will be at 8:30 AM for the Jr’s and the adults to follow. Free pistol will start around 1:00 PM. So I hope you’ll come out and enjoy. I’m planning on coming down on Fri afternoon and if your interested in getting some free pistol practice, a friend and I get together at the Angeles Shooting Range on Sat morning.

Best regards,

CA Bullseye

PS: Please feel free to contact me via cabullseye@hotmail.com

Post by Guest »

I DID tell that about the match ... first Sunday of the month (except I believe July when Nationals are on)
jonathanseal

Post by jonathanseal »

I thank you all for the information...I shall be out of town until xmas,but have bookmarked this thread...maybe a mini forumfor all those frustrated California shootere. It would seem that Blackmountain is the obvious choice with the possibility of a small critical mass being reached !!!! The more we can get together,the greater our chances of Olympic gold ,(smile,with tongue in cheek) ,or at least a paper award for our wall...Until the next time ,fellow shooters
Joe66

Air Pistol much better than AR

Post by Joe66 »

jonathansea and others,

if you think air pistol shooting events are hard to find, try 10-meter air rifle, it is even worst.
jonathanseal

cabullseye

Post by jonathanseal »

I tried to email you but 'it' demanded server addresses and a whole lot of other stuff I didn't comprehend....if you could email me or call @909-262-6476,I would be most appreciative Thankyou
somewhereinla

Post by somewhereinla »

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm. I just found out that the next Prado 10m Match will happen on December 2nd (Thanks Tony G for letting me know about it). I will definitely be going and of course I hope to meet some of you there.

cheers.
metermatch

Shooting in Los Angeles

Post by metermatch »

The reason it is difficult to find shooting venues in Los Angeles is because much of the los Angeles area is openly hostile to firearms ownership and shooting in general.

The most recent victim was that range near the 605/210 fwy, I think it was called Fish Canyon?

With that said, the Prado matches are very good, and I was thinking of attending the match Dec 2 myself after a few year absence. Very sorry to hear of Sandy' passing. We have a lot to thank him for.

Jeff
somewhereinla

Re: Shooting in Los Angeles

Post by somewhereinla »

metermatch wrote:The reason it is difficult to find shooting venues in Los Angeles is because much of the los Angeles area is openly hostile to firearms ownership and shooting in general.
Probably right, however I don't really consider AP in the same category as firearms. I used to practice archery when I was younger. Later in life I sought about getting back into it and then discovered AP, which I sought would be more practical as I could practice whenever I want. Even though the "instruments" are different, the state of mind is very much the same.

Hope to meet you at Prado.

cheers.
metermatch

Shooting in Los Angeles

Post by metermatch »

While the instruments may be different (airgun vs firearm), they aren't any different in the City of Los Angeles. I think you can get busted (misdemeanor?) if you are shooting an airgun, just like a firearm, in a place other than a designated shooting range in the City of Los Angeles. Like your back yard.....

I think the law came about a few years ago when some idiot shot either a fireman or a little kid in the head with an airgun in Los Angeles. I kind of remember some news people yapping about lethal "high power" airguns. (the 1000 fps ones). I always thought we already had laws on the books making it illegal to shoot anyone with anything. But you know the do-gooders always must find new "tools" for law enforcement!

Jeff