toz 49

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
fta047

toz 49

Post by fta047 »

Hi, lookong for any info, manuals, anything on the toz 49. Looking to buy one, just want to know more. Any ideas on a price??? Cheers
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Have you seen our host's 10P file on the TOZ49
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

I had one, sold it... and have regretted doing so ever since (particularly as I now have much more experience in the CF match compared to when I owned my example). Mine had been converted to .32 WC.
Its operation and adjustment of the trigger settings (very rare in a revolver) are all pretty easy to work out once you have the gun in your hands. I never had an instruction book for it and to be honest I don't think it made much difference. Firearms manuals translated from Russian often seem to be very basic (or wrong) anyway.
It is very easy to get into the mechanism (remove the grip, undo the screws holding on the side-plate and prise it out to reveal the trigger mechanism) which is quite marvellous in its robustness and simplicity - particular in how the Nagant gas-seal mechanism works. There is a good description of the system at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagant_M1895 (The Toz49 could be said to be loosely based around the M1895). They are very reliable guns and there isn’t really that much to go wrong with them.
It is however quite an unforgiving gun and I always struggled in the duelling sequence because of this - but it is very accurate. Also the cylinder doesn't flip out so loading and unloading takes a while and can be hell on your fingernails. Without fail, you can expect to be the last person on the firing-line to complete loading. My example needed a really fast, strong pull on the hammer from the thumb of the non-firing hand (the Toz 49 is single-action only) to make sure that it cocked properly. This wasn't an issue during the precision stage, but I once missed a couple of shots in club-competitions during the rapid stage until I had fully sorted out my cocking technique.
Mine cost the equivalent of about (U.S.) $300. It was old but well loved and in very good condition having been owned by several top shooters in Australasia.
fta047

Post by fta047 »

Thanks for the info. I have seen the pilkguns site, it seems to be the only thing out there.

I used one for the first time on the weekend, it is very unforgiving as you mentioned, especially in the dualing stage.

Not 100% sure what i should be paying for one, any other help would be great. Also looking for original tapered cases. So if anyone knows of any, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.
fta047

Post by fta047 »

Thanks for the info. I have seen the pilkguns site, it seems to be the only thing out there.

I used one for the first time on the weekend, it is very unforgiving as you mentioned, especially in the dualing stage.

Not 100% sure what i should be paying for one, any other help would be great. Also looking for original tapered cases. So if anyone knows of any, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again.
JamesH

Toz49

Post by JamesH »

I have a Toz 49 in the original chambering - 7.62x26 Russian.
I also have a manual which I can scan and forward if you like.
562/600 is best achievement so far.

Cases are available from Bertram Bullet co, available direct from them or http://www.hotkey.net.au/~jansa/simplex ... cases.html
Some US stockists hold Bertram cases.

Simplex also make the dies. I can help with the setup for a Dillon - 0.38 super shell holders work with a bit of adjustment. I combined 7.62 simplex and 0.32S+W parts to make a complete set.

Reloading data is about the same as 0.32 SWL - with all the usual caveats. Be careful not to confuse with 7.62 Nagant or 7.62x38.
They seem to like 100gr HBWC ~0.310-0.311. Bigger and the round won't seat in the chamber due to case bulging.
They will shoot one hole groups at 25m at 600fps and no hint of skidding.

I converted mine to use a Millet sight, the original rearsight is the only weakness.
The screws are odd threads so don't lose them!

These guys have one in moderate condition.
http://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au/
For some reason its listed as s/auto.

Anything else get in touch, pics, drawings etc.
SP1 test pilot (retired.)

Post by SP1 test pilot (retired.) »

I had one once. I couldn't get much better than 575 with it and sold it.

During the time I owned it I once loaned it to a mate who shot 583 and won the match... ...bastard!
FTA047

Post by FTA047 »

Thanks, the manual would be great. My email is pafr@optusnet.com.au

I'd be glad to get anything you can provide.

I'm getting the dies that the other bloke has so should be ok there.

Many thanks again.
K38

TOZ 49

Post by K38 »

Does anyone know if the TOZ 49 was ever imported to the USA? I tried to get one sent from AUS but the BATFE said that since it was Russian and not on the "OK" list it was nothing doing. (the TOZ 35 and others are on the list) I would love to find a .32 revolver but S&W model 16's are pricey ($3500 or so) I am feeling kind of stupid for passing up a Colt Officers Model Target in .32 but I just didn't have the cash at the time. I have even thought of having a Model 14 converted. I am not sure that it would make any difference compared to a plain S&W 14-3 in 38 special. I have had made for me a Model 15 with 6" Model 14 barrel, single action trigger and hammer with a Bo-Mar Rib. The Bo-Mar sight is a big improvement over the S&W factory sight. I also have a Colt Officers Model Match that is quite nice but I have no idea what Colt was thinking when they designed those crazy grips! I have not done any work to find out if a top notch custom barrel like a Krieger, Lilja, Pac-Nor etc. would make a big difference. It would allow trying several different twists. (shades of the Smolt, Smython, and Cougar!)

Happy Days,

Dwight
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Depends on what you want.

For a NRA Distinguished Revolver gun, you are required to shoot .38 special. I've heard that while everybody thinks of the S&W model 14 and Colt Python for this match, the Dan Wesson Model 15 is hard to beat. The tensioned barrel is super accurate.

For International CF, I'm not sure it's worth bothering with.

That being said, it's been reported on the Smith & Wesson forum that S&W is open to the idea of a K-32 run IF a distributor would take 500 of them. Makes you wonder if we could get them pre-sold....
dlb

Post by dlb »

That being said, it's been reported on the Smith & Wesson forum that S&W is open to the idea of a K-32 run IF a distributor would take 500 of them. Makes you wonder if we could get them pre-sold....
I'd bet that you could pre-sell these - even if they were intended as replicas. If they were to build a proper match revolver, I'd buy a few.

K38: Manhurin manufactures a 32 S&W L - http://www.chapuis-armes.com/32-MATCH,122.html
I don't know of anyone who carries them, but they can be imported.

so does Alfa-Proj - http://www.alfa-proj.cz/en/products/fir ... ial-32-sw/