Why bulk-fill Tau rifle or pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
OzzieM

Why bulk-fill Tau rifle or pistol?

Post by OzzieM »

I have a Tau-7 pistol and a Tau-200 rifle. I set the power of these guns so that the pellets do not disintegrate when they impact the backstop. The velocity I get is more than enough to cut clean holes in the target and I get about 85 shots out of a 12 gram powerlet.

My question is: why do people who shoot Tau CO2 guns bother with bulk fill. A powerlet will easily see you through a 60 shot competition and safely allow you to shoot 10 practise shots prior to it. I also don't see any substantial cost savings from bulk fill. I pay about $0.65 for Brass Eagle powerlets and $ 0.55 for Mosa.

Changing cartridges is also quick and easy.

So, why bulk-fill a Tau rifle or pistol?

OzzieM
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Ozzie - bulk fill is something which is more helpful during the training season rather than at matches. If you're like many people, you shoot a few shots in training one day, then shoot a few another day, and eventually you run out of gas. With bulk fill you just screw the bottle on and 30 seconds later you're ready to shoot again. That makes it pretty handy.

On the flip side, Co2 from bulk fill probably costs less than 5 cents per fill and doesn't create a ton of empty capsules to go into the recycling bin or garbage. And with bulk fill you don't have to worry about whether or not the shooter has the strength to actually screw the piercer cap into place on the 12 gram capsule. A lot of younger shooters use the TAU guns so this becomes a very real consideration.

I guess the real answer to your question is based on personal preference. I know that my TAU-7's were shot with bulk fill except when I went to a match because the bulk fill wouldn't quite get me through the match.
wcordle

Post by wcordle »

Ozzie -

Mark is spot on. I was skeptical of bulk fill myself. Sounded terribly complicated at first.

I have a couple of 20 oz paintball bottles and a single on/off valve attachment and a single paintball to Tau bottle adapter. (One day I will get a 20lb tank, but this works quite well for the time being)

- Chill the Tau bottle for 10 to 15 minutes in the freezer
- Attach it to the 20oz and hold the assembly so the 20 oz is upside down
- Open the valve and you will hear the CO2 transfer to the Tau bottle
- Once you can no longer hear the liquid transferring turn off the valve
- Unscrew the Tau bottle from the assembly
- Cock the gun
- Screw into the gun and set the gun on its butt so the liquid flows into the reservoir
- Unscrew the tank and you are good to go

Keep in mind that you don't need to do this every time. You will get multiple gun fills from the Tau bottle. So when you run low, you screw the bottle on, screw it off and start shooting.

Another very nice thing is that you are not constantly taking the piercing cap on and off for every fill, wearing out o-rings in the process. The bulk fill adapter simply stays on the gun.

Also, you get a lot of shots. I've not counted but the manual states 120 - 150 from bulk. I highly recommend it.

Will