Roll trigger

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
alchemist

Roll trigger

Post by alchemist »

Could someone explain to me what is a roll trigger and a very long trigger? How can one use a very long roll to control the sights??
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Scotty our host could probably give a better explanation- and I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong! But my understanding is this:

Roll Trigger: A slight amount of "beveled" movement of the sear as the shot breaks, giving the feel of the trigger weight increasing *at a varying rate* with simultaneous movement. Feels like the trigger is "rolling" over a cylindrical object as the pressure increases then snaps off.

Long Trigger: A slight amount of "sloping" movement of the sear as the shot breaks, giving the feel of the trigger weight increasing *at a constant rate* with simultaneous movement. Feels like the trigger is "sliding" along a flat surface as the pressure increases then snaps off.

Anyhow these descriptions apply more to how the trigger force curve relates to movement right before the break- giving a distinctive FEEL that might not relate directly to how the gunsmith actually accomplishes the result . . .

HTH

Steve Swartz
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

scerir

Re: Roll trigger

Post by scerir »

BTW, is it possible that - in the case of a crisp trigger - the action of the finger on the trigger tongue is isometric (muscle or tendon contracts but the finger doesn't move and muscle fibers maintain a constant length)? While - in the case of a roll trigger - the action of the finger is isotonic (the finger moves a bit, and the muscle/tendon shortens)?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

To the best of my knowledge (which is admittedly limited), the following rules of thumb apply.

On a mechanical trigger of any design, the finger has to move in order to release the shot.

The "feel" of the trigger is a direct function of the "profile" between the distance moved and the force required.

"Crisper" feeling triggers have a rapid stack up/let off over a very short distance.

"Long" triggers have a rapid initial stack up, then movement over a long distance, with a rapid let off.

"Roll" triggers have an increasing stack up, over a moderate distance, with a moderate let off. This force profile gives the illusion of the sear "rolling over a cylinder."

Steve Swartz