Thread tightening question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Walter

Thread tightening question

Post by Walter »

What can be used to tighten the threads on a trigger adjustment screw and still be usable?
I'm thinking of candle wax, but I'd like to know what others think.
Threadlocker seems like it would be difficult to move, even if using the lightest formula.
Richard H

Re: Thread tightening question

Post by Richard H »

Walter wrote:What can be used to tighten the threads on a trigger adjustment screw and still be usable?
I'm thinking of candle wax, but I'd like to know what others think.
Threadlocker seems like it would be difficult to move, even if using the lightest formula.
If you're just talking about locking the thread after adjustment nail polish works well just a dab and it dries hard can be removed but not easy enough to fall of on its own,
Walter

Post by Walter »

Nah, I want it to stay adjustable.
It's probable that oil got it loosened up. Maybe if I clean it it will tighten up.
Low strength Threadlocker 222 might do it.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Walter wrote:Nah, I want it to stay adjustable.
It's probable that oil got it loosened up. Maybe if I clean it it will tighten up.
Low strength Threadlocker 222 might do it.
I don't think you got my point, nail polish will not permantly lock the threads but will stop them from backing out on their own. We use it all the time on fine electrical components also acts as an anti-tamper indicator.
dflast

Post by dflast »

Walter,

You might want to look into "Vibra-tite." (ND Industries Inc. - 1000 North Crooks Rd, Clawson MI 48017 tel (248)288-0000)
According to the blurb "Prevents vibration loosening - Allows post assembly adjustment - Removable and reusable" and seems to work as advertised.
Spendy, though. The fastener house here that actually carries it wants $30 for a 1oz. bottle.

-David
Paul Ha

Post by Paul Ha »

Walther,
Having worked with various grades of Loctite and similar thread-locking stuff now-and-then since back in their early days, I would ask you to please be very careful with its application. The stuff is pretty fuzzy with the condition of its base metal; a tad oily and (Loctite) 222 remains runny. You may not want it to "slime" around the trigger mechanism area.
Unless you want to go from your (low cost) wax to that of David's stuff (which probably has a shelf-life attached to the price as well), I tend to agree with Richard; since I carry a bottle of cheap nail polish in my gear and I use it for the sear adjustment screw on my TOZ and elsewhere as needed.
I used to use the "white-out" used in typing corrections; but it dries out fast even though in its own bottle; and it turns into a white powdery residue whenever the screw is turned; besides the fact that it is NOT oil-resistant like nail polish is. Just my thoughts.
Paul Ha.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Just as a followup to Paul's comments, in commercial applications Loctite also has a shelf life limit. In fact, the containers of 222, 232 and 242 which I have are in my possession simply because they exceeded their shelf life and were going to be thrown out. I picked them up before they hit the trash can. From personal experience I can say that Loctite which is of the permanent variety does seem to degrade more over time than the "service removable" grades, but in all honesty I can't see sufficient degradation over the span of the last seven or eight years to merit spending the bucks on a new supply of Loctite.

Sorry for taking this post a bit off topic. Getting back on topic, Vibra-tite is great stuff for this particular application. A one-ounce bottle is pretty close to a lifetime supply, and its performance as it ages appears to be very similar to the service-removable grades of Loctite. Keeping all of these substances out of extreme heat and direct sunlight seems to prolong their lifespan.

Once again, this is only my personal experience - your mileage most certainly will vary! ;-)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mark agree with you regarding the degradation of Loctite, for most applications it wouldn't make a difference. Loctite is used on critical fasteners in such indusrties as areospace and automotive where it does make a difference ie bolts on your helocopters swash plate. We performed tests on fasterners with loctite and the strength after 1 year degraded by 25% and then lesser amounts after that (we stopped at 3 year old Loctite because that was the oldest we had) curing time also changed. The service removable did change noticably.

The most important thing with Loctite is surface prep.

I still suggest going out to the dollar store and picking up your favorite shade of nail polish and use that you won't be disappointed.

PS the other thing that changed was the amount of heat required to free fastners as the loctite aged, it required less. So if you are using in a hot place (enignes, exhaust areas) I suggest you use Loctite that has not expired.
Last edited by Richard H on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Richard - interesting info - thanks for sharing. My experience seems to show the service-removable stuff is less effected by age than the permanent grades, while your post indicates the opposite. Hmmmm, very interesting indeed!

As for aerospace applications, on my airplane there's nothing that's locked with Loctite. Everything has a cotter pin, elastomeric (nyloc) nut, jamb nut, or is saftey wired or otherwise mechanically held in place. While Loctite and other products are very good at what they do, I like to be able to visually inspect to ensure a fastener hasn't backed out. When it comes to aviating, I'm a great big low-tech chicken! ;-)
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mark Briggs wrote:Richard - interesting info - thanks for sharing. My experience seems to show the service-removable stuff is less effected by age than the permanent grades, while your post indicates the opposite. Hmmmm, very interesting indeed!

As for aerospace applications, on my airplane there's nothing that's locked with Loctite. Everything has a cotter pin, elastomeric (nyloc) nut, jamb nut, or is saftey wired or otherwise mechanically held in place. While Loctite and other products are very good at what they do, I like to be able to visually inspect to ensure a fastener hasn't backed out. When it comes to aviating, I'm a great big low-tech chicken! ;-)
No our studies showed the same, service removable is less effected by age than the permant Loctite products. )I just noticed I left out the "not" in " the service removable did NOT change."
I agree most of those fastener you mentioned are required to have physical locking components but there are other fasteners such as avionics mounting screw and other ancillery equipment where its not possible to use a mechanical locking device.