Comments on first pistol reasoning

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Comments on first pistol reasoning

Post by Guest »

I'm window shopping for my first air pistol, having recently joined a club. Some clear criteria have developed and I'd appreciate feedback on my reasoning.

As a new shooter, I expect that for at least the next couple of years most any target pistol in good condition will out-shoot me. So my wife and bank account should be able to relax, because something less expensive than 'the best' will be quite satisfactory for a good while.

Also, as a general rule, I figure that a beginner at anything is best served by equipment that is simple and robust, so that one concentrates on developing good technique without being dazzled by a myriad of customisations and adjustments.

I don't want to waste money buying something that has accumulated cautionary tales about reliability, or that has become so historic that parts aren't easily available. That discounts the lower cost items I've seen for sale.

I've got a personal aesthetic which feels less comfortable relying on third parties to keep training or competing, so despite the age of the technology I lean towards the self-containment of spring-piston or pneumatic pistols.

I haven't noticed any CO2 pistols locally, and refilling with CO2 seems to be a lot of trouble compared to using the club scuba tank.

My own club seems to be dominated by Feinwerkbau and Morini, with some Steyr and Rohm. The club pistols available for training are FWB 65s, which I understand last forever and can be excellent value.

I have locally available a FWB 100 in near-new condition. One credible source has told me that the FWB 100 was 'the best of the pneumatics'. I've also read that FWB generally have a reputation for reliability and an excellent trigger.

For comparison, the asking price is about 40% of the local new price of a FWB 103 or Morini CM162EI. This seems to make it a good quality item near the top of my affordable range... so I should confidently proceed to stalk and knee-cap any other potential buyers.

Does this sound sensible? (Apart from the knee-capping...)
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Pardon me: I didn't mean to post as Guest.
Michael.
Trev2205

Post by Trev2205 »

Michael,

I used to own a FWB 100, and I loved it, great pistol and should give your years of good service as long as you look after it. As long as the pistol looks well treated (looks aren't everything, but there are some scrappy examples out there, and the more scratched and dented it is, the less carefully it may have been treated !!!) and ideally if you know and trust the vendor, I say go ahead. It's well worth replacing the grip for a morini or Rink if it's fitted with the old style factory wood.

Happy shooting.

Post by Guest »

Trev2205 wrote:It's well worth replacing the grip for a morini or Rink if it's fitted with the old style factory wood.
Thanks. Do the Morinii grips simply bolt straight on?
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Michael,
If my maths is correct, the asking price is around $800 which makes it a fairly good buy in my estimate. It probably has not done too much work.
Our club Model 65 FWBs are used 2-3 each week and are still going strongly.
I once owned a Model 80 which is still going without a hitch for the fellow I sold it to. As long as the seals are OK (they are readily and not too dear to replace) I would go for it.
If it is being sold privately, ask some of the other members of that club whether they know of him having problems with it.
Maybe he has just moved up to a more modern pre-compressed air cylinder pistol like I did.
Trev2205

Post by Trev2205 »

Replacement grips should bolt straight on, and will completely change the feel of the gun. With a proper grip the hold will feel more secure and comfortable, and this can have a real effect on your shooting.
cdf

Post by cdf »

The FWB should serve you well , and you can prolly sell it to some new guy for close to what you paid for it .

Chris
MichaelB

Post by MichaelB »

Thanks for your remarks, which are much appreciated. I put a deposit down this afternoon.

I have a simple, perhaps silly, left: the Allen bolts that fasten the grips have been almost rounded by someone being careless with the wrong sized key. Are they standard, off the shelf items that are easy to replace at a hardware store, or are they made especially for the pistol and available only on request from the right source?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

MichaelB wrote:Thanks for your remarks, which are much appreciated. I put a deposit down this afternoon.

I have a simple, perhaps silly, left: the Allen bolts that fasten the grips have been almost rounded by someone being careless with the wrong sized key. Are they standard, off the shelf items that are easy to replace at a hardware store, or are they made especially for the pistol and available only on request from the right source?
They are standard metric allen bolts (in terms of thread size). length will probably have to be cut to fit with a hack saw. Your local hardware store (sorry, ironmonger?) will carry them.

Enjoy your new AP

Fred