10m Air Pistol target height

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
coldchickens

10m Air Pistol target height

Post by coldchickens »

Hi folks.

I was hoping that someone might be able to tell me the target height and distance regulations in 10m AP.

Is it 10m from the back of the bench to the target face? What is the height and where is the measurement taken?

There is a possibility for me to train at home, but obviously want to replicate competition conditions. I had a quick look through the rules but couldn't see anything there.

Appreciate any help and the resource provided here :)

Cheers.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

"Shooting distances must be measured from the firing line to the target face...."(USA3.8.2)
The firing line, is even with the edge of the bench facing you.

The center of the targets must be within the following heights when measured from the level of the floor of the firing point. (USA3.8.9)
10m: 1.40m +/- 0.05m

These are USAS rule numbers, ISSF rules are the same

Paul
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Under ISSF rules:-

The centre of the target should be 1.4m +/-0.05m above the level of the floor of the firing point (rule 6.3.9)

The distance from the target face to the shooter's side of the firing line should be 10m +/-0.05m (rules 6.3.8.3 and 6.3.8.5)

The nearest edge (to the shooter) of any shooting bench or table must be 10cm (0.1m) closer to the target than the shooter's edge of the firing line (rule 6.3.15.2.1)

See the ISSF Technical Rules For All Shooting Disciplines

Hope this helps.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pgfaini wrote:The firing line, is even with the edge of the bench facing you.

These are USAS rule numbers, ISSF rules are the same
If that's what the USAS rules say then I'm afraid they are not the same as ISSF (which wouldn't be the first time).

See ISSF rule 6.3.15.2.1:-

"The nearest edge of the bench or stand must be placed 10 cm forward of the 10 m Firing line. The use of a board as a firing line is not permitted."
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

David, The rules say the distance is "from the firing line to the target face". I added that the firing line is at the edge of the bench facing the shooter, to make clear where the line is, since the questioner used the term "back of the bench", which could be construed as the near or far edge. The diagram of the 10m range in the USAS rule book (fig.10 pg. GTR-36) shows the edge of the bench plumb with the firing line. I can find no mention regarding this in the text.
Paul
Last edited by pgfaini on Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Do USAS rules allow the edge of the bench to be on the shooters edge of the firing line. ISSF rules say it must be 0.1m in front of the line.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

David, We seem to have cross posted. As I said, I can't find it mentioned in the text, I just went by the diagram.
It's 2:45 AM in my time zone, and perhaps I'm not as sharp as I should be. I checked my USAS rule book, because the text is larger than the ISSF book. Should be getting some sleep, not sitting in front of this computer!:>)
Paul
coldchickens

Post by coldchickens »

Thats awesome folks.. thankyou very much, its greatly appreciated :)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

pgfaini wrote:David, We seem to have cross posted. As I said, I can't find it mentioned in the text, I just went by the diagram.
It's 2:45 AM in my time zone, and perhaps I'm not as sharp as I should be. I checked my USAS rule book, because the text is larger than the ISSF book. Should be getting some sleep, not sitting in front of this computer!:>)
Paul
"The use of a board as a firing line is not permitted" is missing from the USAS rules - other than that, USAS 6.3.15.2.1 is the same as ISSF 6.3.15.2.1.

the diagram relates to measuring lighting...

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:"The use of a board as a firing line is not permitted" is missing from the USAS rules - other than that, USAS 6.3.15.2.1 is the same as ISSF 6.3.15.2.1.
That probably just means that they have not updated that rule in line with the ISSF 2nd Printing amendments effective from January 2006; or it could of course be a deliberate decision to omit it.
Spencer wrote:the diagram relates to measuring lighting...
I'm not sure about the USAS one but the ISSF one, 6.3.15.4.3, also has a note D showing the edge of the bench 10cm forward of the firing line.

I must admit that I always found it slightly strange that they included the note on a drawing about measuring light but, as the dimension is also included in 6.3.15.2.1 it cannot do any harm.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Spencer wrote: "The use of a board as a firing line is not permitted" is missing from the USAS rules - other than that, USAS 6.3.15.2.1 is the same as ISSF 6.3.15.2.1.

the diagram relates to measuring lighting...

Spencer
Yes, but the diagram was comprehensive, and accurate.

My USAS Rule book is the old loose leaf edition from 1997.
The chapter "Range and target Standards" in Section B - UIT General Technical Rules with USA Additions, is Chapter 3 not 6.
USAS no longer publishes a hard copy of the rules, and I hesitate to attempt to download, the new rules, as living out in a rural area, I only have dialup service, and a slow one at that (26.4 bps).

My ISSF rule book is a bit more recent, from 2001. I checked it, and there is no 6.3.15.2.1, just 6.3.15.2
I didn't think there were any range or target rule changes while I was away from the sport, and I seem to have been right, regarding the target height, and the distance to the firing line, but wrong regarding the bench edge-firing line relationship. Guess I'll be ordering a new ISSF rule book!:>(

Paul
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pgfaini wrote:Guess I'll be ordering a new ISSF rule book!:>(
Remember that the only ISSF rulebook available as a hard copy is the 1st printing. The 2nd printing, effective from January 2006, is only available as a free download. A couple of sections are also in 3rd printing, also only available as a download.

I would not recomend using the 1st printing, there were just too many changes in the 2nd.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

pgfaini wrote:..... living out in a rural area, I only have dialup service, and a slow one at that (26.4 bps).
Paul,
With a 26.4 dialup ISP service, I'm surprised that you can handle TT :-)
Time for a satellite link.

Fred
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:
pgfaini wrote:Guess I'll be ordering a new ISSF rule book!:>(
Remember that the only ISSF rulebook available as a hard copy is the 1st printing. The 2nd printing, effective from January 2006, is only available as a free download. A couple of sections are also in 3rd printing, also only available as a download.

I would not recomend using the 1st printing, there were just too many changes in the 2nd.
The only problem is the download doesn't do you much good at a match (because they couldn't be bothered formating to be used with Adobe for a PDA). If you print it out it's like carrying a phone book around with you.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Fred Mannis wrote:[Paul,
With a 26.4 dialup ISP service, I'm surprised that you can handle TT :-)
Time for a satellite link.

Fred
Fred, I've had DirectTV since its inception, and it occasionally goes out during a thunderstorm, and in the winter if the dish fills with snow. HughesNet will most likely be the same. Not reliable enough for me, and not nearly as fast as DSL. Duke Power, is experimenting with BPL , broadcasting over power lines. I believe it's already being done in Cincinnati. This will give people like me, who live in low density population areas, the ability to get all the services available to city folk.
Paul
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

The question was about training and target height. One important aspect of training is the dry fire so knowing the height from the ground to the barrel for the individual shooter is required so that if aiming exercises are done against say a wall or shorter distance live fire on scaled targets [beats no shooting at all!] training accurately reflects competition.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Paul, Of course you're right. Interesting what strange turns these threads can take.
Paul
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

Does the muzzle have to be behind the firing line, or can you put your forward foot right up to the firing line (which would put the muzzle well over the line)?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

TargetTerror wrote:Does the muzzle have to be behind the firing line, or can you put your forward foot right up to the firing line (which would put the muzzle well over the line)?
Foot can't cross the firing line, arm, hand and gun in front are OK,
askernie

JUST SET THE BULLSEYE AT 55" FROM THE GROUND...

Post by askernie »

Thanks

Ernie the Eyeball