Free pistol Dropped wrist

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Haleva

Free pistol Dropped wrist

Post by Haleva »

Hi Guys,
I'm shooting an LP10 AP and TOZ 35 FP, both with morini grips.
In my LP10 I can adjust the grip to fit perfectly with my natural hand raise. While shooting the TOZ I find that the drop wrist is far from being my natural hand position, so I find my self correcting the wrist position (dropping it extensivly ...) during the raise.

What are my options (I'm not sure I'm capable of altering the grip in a way it will help...) to overcome this problem ?

I try to train and remember the wrist position (which is not natural to me...) , it can work for a string of shots , but once in a while I need adjustments

Thanks in advance
Chris

Post by Chris »

I got my Toz with morini grips about 11 years ago. I took it to shoot at the national championships and the guys I knew at the time who where on the US team told me I should do some work on the grip since it did not look like a free pistol grip. I really do not care what it looked like. I did care I was shooting low shots all the time.

I also shoot an LP10. Did shoot an LP1.

About a year later I felt comfortable enough about how I was shooting. I just got back from the shoot for silver or could have been the crystal cup. I think it was 1996 up in WA there was a selection match. It might have been the last selection match held there. I made the finals.

Anyway, I started to work on my grips. I took me about a year. The LP1 grip was easy because of the design. The Toz grip was more work. I added some Quikwood under the heal of my hand and also under my middle finger. Took away wood under my pinky and where my hand contacted the grip under the sights. It took me about 6 months of grip work and shooting to find the correct position. at one point I was taking metal away from the lower pistol frame. when I extracted a round the lever would hit my pinky. I eventually filled that part in. I also added some fiberglass to the grip on the section that goes over the back of my hand since the grip was applying too much pressure. In the end I can bring up the gun with my eyes closed and when I open them the sights are perfectly aligned.

If you want to try to work on your grip just go slow. use a file and not a grinder. take off very little wood at a time. you can allways replace what you took off with Quikwood. remove some wood. Try some dry firing. try some shooting. I would take some clay to the range with me to fill in some voids as I was shooting and then when I would get home I would fill them in with some Quikwood. The great thing about Quikwood is you can add exactly what you need and if you add too much you can sand or file it just like wood. put some on your grip then get your hand wet where it will come in contact with it and then put your hand in the grip to get the Quikwood to mold the correct shape. this will save you lots of time sanding and making a big mess.

The key thing to remember is it does not matter what your grip looks like it just matters were the shots go in the target. If you score improves in the end you will not care what your grip looks like. You can always get your grip duplicated when you are done so it looks like it meant to look like that when you are done.

I am stil shooting with the same grip. depending on your point of view it may not look very good but it fits like a glove. It does not even look like a Morini grip any more.
scerir

Post by scerir »

Speaking of grips for the Toz it seems that the Morini and the original Russian have the same angle, more or less. See the pictures on this page (the link could be slow!)
http://www.bersagliomobile.com/articoli/18.pdf
Here in Italy you can also buy a Toz and choose the grip you wish. As you can see from the link, there are grips whose angle is 'drop' indeed.