Scoring Air Pistol Targets

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
K-60

Scoring Air Pistol Targets

Post by K-60 »

We are running our first air pistol match at Bridgeport Rifle Club on Sunday April 29th. Since this is our first match we would like to know if there are any advantages/disadvantages to scoring with an inward or outward guage ?
Mike T.

Scoring air pistol

Post by Mike T. »

If you are shooting to ISSF rules, it seems the outward gauge is used for scoring rings 2 to 10 (6.7.15.6) and the inward gauge is used for scoring inner tens and ring 1 (6.7.15.4).
I didn't know that; I just looked it up now.
Mike T.
David Levene

Re: Scoring air pistol

Post by David Levene »

Mike T. wrote:....... and the inward gauge is used for scoring inner tens and ring 1 (6.7.15.4).
Which means that you will only use the inward gauge extremely rarely. You only need to score inner tens if the countback method followed by the highest number of 10s 9s 8s etc have failed to break a tie. I cannot remember the last time I saw that in an AP match.
Mike T.

Gauges

Post by Mike T. »

I've never seen, let alone used, an outward scoring gauge. Inward scoring gauges (plugs) are readily available in North America, as are inward scoring overlays, so they tend to get used at local matches. Even at 'high level' matches, such as the Canadian Airgun Grand Prix and the Canadian National Pistol Championships, I recall the inward scoring gauge being used for all air pistol target rings. That may have changed in more recent years at the CAGP, I don't know.
As I've noted before, we shooters in Canada are often working in less than the ISSF-approved manner, but at least it is equal for all.
Still, I'd like to get an outward scoring gauge for AP!
Mike T.
Richard H

Re: Gauges

Post by Richard H »

Mike T. wrote:I've never seen, let alone used, an outward scoring gauge. Inward scoring gauges (plugs) are readily available in North America, as are inward scoring overlays, so they tend to get used at local matches. Even at 'high level' matches, such as the Canadian Airgun Grand Prix and the Canadian National Pistol Championships, I recall the inward scoring gauge being used for all air pistol target rings. That may have changed in more recent years at the CAGP, I don't know.
As I've noted before, we shooters in Canada are often working in less than the ISSF-approved manner, but at least it is equal for all.
Still, I'd like to get an outward scoring gauge for AP!
Mike T.
Your sort of mixing terms, Overlays are use to help in the visual scoring of a shot (not used under ISSF rules, but are actally used all the time) the plug gauge for AP is outward scoring is the method that is to be used by ISSF rules on rings 2-10 basically if the outer edge of the disk is the next scoring ring up (basically magnifies the reading) so if the ther is a ten that is close the plug is inserted vertically in the whole if you can still see any of the 9 ring at the outer edge of the disk it is a ten and this is to be ruled on by a scoring jury of 3 (at least 2 have to agree in or out) once it's been plugged the score is final and it can't be re plugged and the target should be marked as being plugged.
Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

Richard,
Overlays are used in ISSF under rule 6.7.14.3 "When the accurate use of the plug gauge is made difficult by the close proximity of another bullet hole, the shot value must be determined by means of an engraved gauge of some flat, transparent material, to aid in reconstructing the position of a
scoring ring or number of bullet holes which may overlap."
This issue was beaten to death in an earlier thread.
Out of curiosity, have you seen an outward scoring plug gauge being used on an air pistol target at a Canadian competition? Not saying it hasn't been done, just that I have not seen it- not at Crossman, not at Ontario provincials, not at BC provincials, and not at Nationals.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Mike,
As David states the inward guage is really just for calling a shot a 1 or 2 so would almost never be required. I've never had the need for one scoring our county open competition nor when scoring the county league cards.

Rob.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Mike T. wrote:Richard,
Overlays are used in ISSF under rule 6.7.14.3 "When the accurate use of the plug gauge is made difficult by the close proximity of another bullet hole, the shot value must be determined by means of an engraved gauge of some flat, transparent material, to aid in reconstructing the position of a
scoring ring or number of bullet holes which may overlap."
This issue was beaten to death in an earlier thread.
Out of curiosity, have you seen an outward scoring plug gauge being used on an air pistol target at a Canadian competition? Not saying it hasn't been done, just that I have not seen it- not at Crossman, not at Ontario provincials, not at BC provincials, and not at Nationals.
The outward scoring gauge is the only plug they use at the CAGP and at the Ontario Provinicials and I beleive the last nationals that I was at in 2003, why wouldn't they be using an Outward scoring plug gauge (cost the same as an Inward scoring plug gauge). We even use them in the Lakeshore Small Bore Assc. league in the winter. Just a question but do you think the outward scoring guage looks vastly different than the Inward scoring guage?

I read your earlier post, an outward scoring guage is a plug but intsead of seeing if the disk touches the line of the socring ring the outwrad gauge has a bigger disk and you look to see if the disk is outside the larger scoreing ring (ie if scoring a ten the disk must fall within the 9 scoring ring).