Looking For Information On An Unusual Rapid Fire Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Looking For Information On An Unusual Rapid Fire Pistol

Post by Guest »

All,

A discussion on another board has me seeing information on a rather unique Soviet designed rapid fire pistol. This firearm was one of the reasons the "box test" was instituted, as its layout was highly unconventional (see below). Because of the layout used, any pistol constructed along similar lines today would fail a box test.

The barrel of the firearm was located approximately mid-grip. Sights were placed on an elevated rail, which was attached to the top of the grip and the barrel.

I'm curious as to the firearm's name, caliber, and if any other information on this handgun is available, especially online.

My thanks in advance for any and all assistance on this topic.

Sincerely,
Asa Yam
DDT

Semi-automatic pistol MC 3-1 "Record"

Post by DDT »

Semi-automatic pistol MC 3-1 "Record" 22LR
Asa Yam

Post by Asa Yam »

DDT,

Thank you for the prompt response! Most appreciated.
David Levene

Re: Looking For Information On An Unusual Rapid Fire Pistol

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Because of the layout used, any pistol constructed along similar lines today would fail a box test.

Not necessarily the box test but it would certainly fall foul of rule 8.4.4.1:-

"The center line of the bore must pass above the web (between thumb and forefinger) of the hand holding the pistol in the normal firing position."

This rule is only for 25m pistols. Air and Free pistols do not have this restriction.
_Axel_

Post by _Axel_ »

Thanks very much for the link, ive been looking for a place to study russian guns, to bad its in russian! (maybe i can get translations) Here a bigger view of the pic: Image
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

ben

Mangolin pistol

Post by ben »

In a previous incarnation - 50 years ago - I was employed as a gun designer. The Mangolin pistol was, and is, in my view, the only real improvement made to the ergonomics of pistols in 500 years. 50 years ago, assault rifles were being introduced to the armies of the world. The improvement in automatic fire control with the bore centre line passing through the centre of resistance of the shoulder, and also through the gun centre of gravity, was really startling to experience. I recall that the controversy over the Russian use of the pistol was really spiteful. I cannot now find details, but it was said that the design enabled a substantial improvement in scores. So it was banned.

Much later, someone prototyped a centre fire revolver with the mechanism similarly inverted and the bore lined up with the centre line of the wrist. There are significant problems in designing a compact mechanism so placed, but not insuperable. The Mangolin, in that sense, was a crude prototype.

All this would be highly relevant to a .22 rapid fire pistol under the new ammunition rules . . .

Ben
JamesH

All great fools think alike

Post by JamesH »

All this would be highly relevant to a .22 rapid fire pistol under the new ammunition rules . . .
You need to have a look at the Izh35, the barrel is as low as it can be.
David Levene

Re: Mangolin pistol

Post by David Levene »

ben wrote:All this would be highly relevant to a .22 rapid fire pistol under the new ammunition rules . . .
......but totally irrelevant under the pistol specification rules 8.17.0

It's not allowed.
ruig

Post by ruig »

surprise!!!! it's margolin, but placed into special frame. Look in two pictures... i give you some tipps...
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

ruig wrote:surprise!!!! it's margolin, but placed into special frame. Look in two pictures... i give you some tipps...
Hey, That is cool! Those Russians are a clever bunch.