TOZ Trigger Issues

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
shadow

TOZ Trigger Issues

Post by shadow »

I am experiencing some difficulties with my TOZ.

1. The set trigger will not set.
In This case I remove the unfired round, cock, load, set.
I repeat as many times as necessay.
This happens 10% of the time

2. The set trigger goes click but there is no hit on the round.
Ejecting, reloading, re-cocking always cures the problem on the 1st
re-try.

I adjusted the sear engagement last night as suggested on Potter's site - turn screw until trigger fires and I backed off 1/2 turn. This has had no impact on the problem.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

Susan
mjmarz

TOZ trigger issues

Post by mjmarz »

Had the same experience with my TOZ. I had changed grips and the new grip did not allow the action lever full travel so as to reliably cock the firing pin spring. I had to remove the grip and carve in the necessary clearance to insure full cocking.

I suggest you remove the grip and work the action of the gun. If it is reliably cocking the firing pin spring, then you know the gun action is ok. Note the range of movement of the lever and after reassembly of the grip to the gun, check and see if the range of action is the same.

I guess that is why the grip I had purchased was on special sale. With the carving, all is ok.

Wish you well, Mike
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Sounds like your mainspring is occasionally failing to cock when you open the action. You can check it when you load, by re-opening the action after the breech block starts to rise, but before the ejector is set. There should be no spring pressure on the operating lever as you bring it back. If there is, bring it all the way forward and re-close the action. I’ve developed the habit of closing the action slowly, bringing the breech block up in little steps, feeling to see if the mainspring is cocked, by moving the lever forward and back a bit. I do this to avoid having to eject the fresh round and re cock. This works most of the time, but sometimes I’ve closed the breechblock too far, before feeling the un-cocked mainspring, and have to eject the live round
deleted1

Post by deleted1 »

This is an example of short-stroking on the TOZ---one of the earliest fixes was to take the grips off and with a dremel and sanding drum (coarse) open the area taken up by the cocking action---with an idea to increasing the stroke in both directions. A second reason might just be that you a "limp wristing" the lever and not giving it insufficient forward action or reverse when ejecting. That lever does not respond to a gentle touch---this is not a Hammerli, Morini or whatever. The late Don Nygord described the gun as suitable for installing fences during the week and shooting match on the weekends. If that doesn't cure the problem then try a new striker spring, and while your at it check the striker itself for wear.
shadow

TOZ Trigger Issues

Post by shadow »

Hello,

I have Rink grips. I just took them off. I think the problem might be due to the fact that the grip mounting holes are not drilled/tapped exactly where they should be resulting in the left and right halves being somewhat mis aligned. Anyway, I took some wood off the grip where the set trigger mechanism sits. It is possible that the end of the spring was getting stuck in some wood. I also tooks some wood off they area where the action lever hits. I will keep you posted on my progress!
Susan
mjmarz

TOZ trigger issues

Post by mjmarz »

Good Show. Carry On. Obviously it is now really becoming your gun.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Don't forget the sear engagement screw (small angled screw on LH side near trigger). The screw has a tendency to "wander" which will result in either

a) manipulation of cocking lever not actually cocking the pistol; or
b) increasing "creep" and movement/force required to release shot

Generally a) happens more often than b) but I experienced a lot of both with my Toz. While the "temporary" Loc-Tite helps you must aways be ont he alert for this screw moving- especially if yoiu have it set for a crisp (very little movement) release.

Once you get the gun to fire somewehat reliably, you should soon get involved filing & machining the various sight combinations to find the right visual image for you.

The Toz is a great "project gun" for those who like to tinker as much as shoot!

Steve Swartz