Manufacturers of PCP/Compressed Air Pistols 4.5mm/.177cal

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

bharat

Manufacturers of PCP/Compressed Air Pistols 4.5mm/.177cal

Post by bharat »

Hello,
Apart from the following, are there any other good/reliable air pistol manufacturers for PCP/Compressed air 4.5mm/.177cal.pistols:
1.Anschutz, 2.Feinwerkbau, 3.Hammerli, 4.Morini, 5.Pardini, 6.Styer, 7.Walther.
Other than Pardini, is there any other Italian manufacturer?
If given a choice, which would be the ideal one to choose/best pistol amongst those mentioned.
Please mention 'for' and 'against' reasons.
Thanx.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Don't forget SAM (Swiss Arms Manufacture) and Benelli (Italian).

As for your question about which is the ideal/best pistol, this has been discussed to death on many previous occasions. Can I suggest that you search this site for previous threads.
william

Post by william »

And don't forget MatchGuns - Italian, Cesare Morini, say no more.
James Way

Post by James Way »

You were asking about Italian air guns. Besides those already mentioned, there is a company called FAS. I believe the name stands for something like "Sporting Arms Factory" in Italian. They might also have been once called "Domino," or maybe they use that as part of their name.

There is a review of the FAS 609 air pistol on the pilkguns website.
GaryBF

Post by GaryBF »

Further to what David said above, you need to put in some research time. Most of the top air pistols are represented by the members here. There is no one model or manufacturer that is best. We all have our preferences and we chose the air pistol(s) we own for a variety of reasons, e.g. features, cost, fit, etc. No one here can sensibly recommend a specific air pistol for you but everyone here will be happy to answer more specific questions and discuss the merits of a specific make or model once you narrow your search.
bharat

PCP Air Pistols-4.5mm

Post by bharat »

Please give your views on:
1. the advantages/disadvantages of an electronic trigger/mechanical trigger,
2. Pardini does not have guage on its cylinders but it is one of the best manufacturers, as such, how important is it to have a pressure guage.
Thanx.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I'm shooting the older Morini 162E. The electronic trigger is the most reliable (Uniform pull) of all my pistols.

This pistol doesn't have a pressure gauge, but incorporates a latch that locks the cocking lever closed when the pressure drops to a certain level. I've been able to fire twenty or more shots after "locking" by releasing the latch to raise the lever, with no apparent loss in velocity. This only happens when my SCUBA tank's pressure reaches a point where I can't shoot two 60 shot training sessions on one fill. Once this happens, I fill the pistol before each session, refilling the SCUBA tank when I can't get 75 or so shots out of a fill.
Of course, at matches, I ALWAYS fill the pistol right before the match, regardless of the pressure in the SCUBA tank. So for a pistol with a non-detachable air cylinder, I would imagine a gauge isn't a necessity.

For those newer pistols with detachable cylinders, a gauge is necessary to compare the volume of air in each cylinder.
Fred Mannis

Re: PCP Air Pistols-4.5mm

Post by Fred Mannis »

bharat wrote:Please give your views on:
1. the advantages/disadvantages of an electronic trigger/mechanical trigger,
2. Pardini does not have guage on its cylinders but it is one of the best manufacturers, as such, how important is it to have a pressure guage.
Thanx.
I believe all the new AP have gauges. If you buy an older model without a gauge, you can purchase a gauge that screws into the fill port in order to check how much air is in the cylinder. Price for a screw in gauge is about USD 50.
Mechanical vs electronic trigger is strictly a matter of personal preference. This topic has been debated at great length on TT and I suggest you do a search to see the numerous views expressed.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

My Morini 162EI has gauges on the cylinders but I wouldn't trust them as I have never seen the indicators move.

It doesn't matter anyway as I always fill the cylinders before leaving home and my Scuba tank is fitted with a gauge.