2 coaches, 2 different styles of shooting, 1 shooter. How?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
iXac

2 coaches, 2 different styles of shooting, 1 shooter. How?

Post by iXac »

Well, for starters I'm a 15 year old and have been in Air Pistols for about 2 years already. I usually fire a FWB P40, which belongs to my high school. But recently I've joined a Youth National Team (Singapore), and there are new coaches and different members. plus another weapon, LP1, sucks, too light, recoil stinks, and muzzle jumps are too rapid.

My main problem is coping with the current coach which I have in my high school, and the other coach which is coaching me while I'm in the National Youth Team.

Their Differences are.

High School coach:

Stance: 65% of my weight is on my right leg, i'm a right hander, and he tells me to develop a comfortable stance position. the rest are the same

National Youth Team coach (pussy):

Stance: ask me to move most of my weight to my left feet, and I must follow like a rigid form of standing, making my back hurt and my left feet ache. Which is very uncomfortable. the rest are the same

This is the main problem now.

My high school coach is a local, while the youth team's coach is a person from CHINA.

any solution to compromise each other's teachings, while still perfecting stance positioning, I'm now shooting about, 556/600, in my high school. But when I joined the national youth team, my scores dropped to 523, most probably because of the new stances. I wouldn't want to offend any of them. Please help.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

You are not much for changes are you?
Try everything with a more positive attitude.
I hear no complaints over pistol grip and trigger, the rest is in your head.
You can not think everything is bad and expect but poor performence. Try everything for a while and give it a fair chance.

Don’t worry be happy!

Kent
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Kent is right. How long have you been working with the national coach? Give it chance, I've seen the guys from China shoot, I wish we had a Chinese coach here.

Your post does seem very negative (we maybe reading more into than is actually there). As for the LP1 being light that is what they make weights for. The LP 1 has porbably one of the best mechanical triggers out there ( I have an LP10 and the LP1 trigger is better).

Your high school coach is Local and the National coach is from China, so? Bigger question is who knows more? How many national level athletes has the coach from china coached vs your local coach? What background does your local coach have? How much time do you spend with each coach? Where I'm from you probably would spend more time with the local coach, but usually the national coach is more than happy to work with your local coach. Rather than moan here ask your national coach politely to explain why he has you do things, then you might understand what is behind it.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"A person from China" does not equal "Chinese Naitonal Team Coach."

Also- given the Chines system- I'm sure coaching has a role in the teams success (obviously) but also obviously other factors are at play.

I do endorse however the principle of "evaluating a coach based onthe success of his/her shooters" in general.

More to the point: why is either coach (apparently) emphasizing weight distribution on feet in the frirst place? Why is this perceived as being important?

Does the shooter have some obvious "out of whack" stance to start with?

Steve
Nano

chinese coach

Post by Nano »

When you change of trainer, you must do everything what the new trainer requests to you, although you believe that this mistaken.

Personally it has happened to me the same, my first coach left a totally vertical stance, the recent contracted international coach, has made change me to a leaning upon shutdown backwards, in the beginning the score has lowered and after months it has improved much, even more that before.
You do not consult the previous coach, simply trusts the new one and you must do everything what he says to you, otherwise you must change of trainer and return to the previous one.

I also wanted to have a Chinese trainer.

Nano
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Steve Swartz wrote:"A person from China" does not equal "Chinese Naitonal Team Coach."

Also- given the Chines system- I'm sure coaching has a role in the teams success (obviously) but also obviously other factors are at play.

I do endorse however the principle of "evaluating a coach based onthe success of his/her shooters" in general.

More to the point: why is either coach (apparently) emphasizing weight distribution on feet in the frirst place? Why is this perceived as being important?

Does the shooter have some obvious "out of whack" stance to start with?

Steve
As usual no where in my post did I say "a person from china" equals "a chinese national coach" yet you chose to put it in quotations. I beleive I clearly stated find out who he coached and at what level. My main point was to tell him to stop whining, do what the coach tells him and see where it takes him, if he really has a problem with that, quit the national team and give the spot to someone who wants to do the work that the coach asks.

I to am sure there are lots of things that play into why the chinese are good, coaching, the fact that they have a billion people to draw from, the fact that they probably aren't whiners, governement support, and others.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

I don't know of "pussy" means the same thing in Sinagapore as it does here, but if it does... it is probably not an appropriate word for a 15 year old child to use publicly to describe an adult authority figure.

One advantage a teenage shooter has over teenage peers is regular association with adults as an equal. As such, the teenager is expected to behave more like an adult (and many do).

shoot good

Poole
http://arizona.rifleshooting.com/

Post by Guest »

As a fellow shooter and fellow Singaporean, please allow me to apologize on his behalf for his language.

(Yes, 'pussy' has the same connotations in Singapore as in elsewhere)

I've seen his coach shoot (and the coach shoots very well), and heck, I wish that his coach would coach me. The coach's advice is sound and very much inline with what is advocated here and elsewhere.

It could be that the threadstarter isn't used to the new training style. Just to advise the threadstarter, hang in there for a while more. Think about what you are doing and how this fits into your coach's advice.

Have you tried talking to him about how uncomfortable this is making you?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Anonymous wrote: Have you tried talking to him about how uncomfortable this is making you?
I think that sums it up really.

Talk to the coaches involved and discuss the problems you are experiencing. At the end of the day they both just want to help you shoot better so use that and make the most of it, good coaches are few and far between, heck here any sort of coach is !

Rob.
yak54pilot

Post by yak54pilot »

I am sure the coach will be very happy if He finds out that one of his students is calling him those sorts of names online.

You should be happy for 2 things,

1- you are young and have a lot of time to learn, practice and become a better shooter.
2- you actually have 2 coaches where people like me have none available at all and only have this forum to read about individuals like you complain about this.

Best of luck,
If you get tired of those coaches send some over here to PR where there aren't any :)
Coach Zhang

Re: 2 coaches, 2 different styles of shooting, 1 shooter. Ho

Post by Coach Zhang »

[quote="iXac"]Well, for starters I'm a 15 year old and have been in Air Pistols for about 2 years already. I usually fire a FWB P40, which belongs to my high school. But recently I've joined a Youth National Team (Singapore), and there are new coaches and different members. plus another weapon, LP1, sucks, too light, recoil stinks, and muzzle jumps are too rapid.

My main problem is coping with the current coach which I have in my high school, and the other coach which is coaching me while I'm in the National Youth Team.

Their Differences are.

High School coach:

Stance: 65% of my weight is on my right leg, i'm a right hander, and he tells me to develop a comfortable stance position. the rest are the same

Stance: ask me to move most of my weight to my left feet, and I must follow like a rigid form of standing, making my back hurt and my left feet ache. Which is very uncomfortable. the rest are the same

This is the main problem now.

My high school coach is a local, while the youth team's coach is a person from CHINA.

any solution to compromise each other's teachings, while still perfecting stance positioning, I'm now shooting about, 556/600, in my high school. But when I joined the national youth team, my scores dropped to 523, most probably because of the new stances. I wouldn't want to offend any of them. Please help.[/quote]

If you feels that you are unhappy with my coaching with you , you can always referred back to your another coach ,Issac ,you should explain to me then say it on the net.

This kind of attitude cannot go far in shooting.

Coach Zhang
bryan

Post by bryan »

another old thread. looks like the issue is having 2 coaches, not changing to a new one.
looks like he got some good advice.

coaching in asia can be very different to most places re-coaches and their following. for an outsider to gain their respect is difficult as they will have their provincial coach in thier ear! this may well be part of the attitude coming out.
in saying that, once you have respect, your students are the best you would be fortunate enough to look after.

pussy= weak, in many countries
would hope that is his thinking!

imho

bryan
ALbert B.

coaching people from different parts of the world

Post by ALbert B. »

Coach Zhang,

Reading this thread I get the impression you have considerable experiance. Beeing a basic trainer in The Netherlands I wonder, Is there difference in the position of the body (shooting stance) for people from different parts of the world?
We know that for example Russions have a very different posture or body than someone from Indonesia, and someone form the US.

I have to teach people the basics of shooting (rifle) and find that many, who are above 30 or 40 years of age have developed a body that is not able anymore to take a theoretical ideal position. Therefor I always advice them to take the position that results in both maximum balance and comfort at the same time. We adjust the rifle accordingly.

Your comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Albert B.
(The Netherlands)
ASA

Re: chinese coach

Post by ASA »

Nano wrote:..you must do everything what the new trainer requests to you, although you believe that this mistaken....
Especially when suffering/living through the period of adolescence this demand can turn out to be tough.

The initial statement from the threadstarter did say his results dropped from 556 down to 523 which is quite a lot. This drop is seemingly not addressed.
In my cultural setting you would expect a person delivering coaching/training to explain the reasons behind a requested change. However, we do not know what has happened exactly.
One trainer can be the most competent person and the student can be the most promising talent - if their personalites clash there is nothing you can do but to go separate ways - and pay the consequences...

From down-under, there is a warning article on the damages of inappropriate training available:
http://www.pistol.org.au/Coaching/Articles.php The article heads "Developing Juniors & New Shooters"

Regarding the loose language: Which one of us is innocent enough to throw the first stone here?

vividly remembering my younger days
Axel
coach zhang

Re: coaching people from different parts of the world

Post by coach zhang »

ALbert B. wrote:Coach Zhang,

Reading this thread I get the impression you have considerable experiance. Beeing a basic trainer in The Netherlands I wonder, Is there difference in the position of the body (shooting stance) for people from different parts of the world?
We know that for example Russions have a very different posture or body than someone from Indonesia, and someone form the US.

I have to teach people the basics of shooting (rifle) and find that many, who are above 30 or 40 years of age have developed a body that is not able anymore to take a theoretical ideal position. Therefor I always advice them to take the position that results in both maximum balance and comfort at the same time. We adjust the rifle accordingly.

Your comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Albert B.
(The Netherlands)

as i normally teach rifle then pistol ,the coach teaching the National youth team is coach fan as is friend of mine.

For different parts of the world the body size of the person which can affacts the shooting.Not all the same position. Example the western's hand is larger than asian's hand ,as for people who are 30 -40 that you are teaching , their body build best to adjust slowly as it hard to get use to it.

sometime is best to adjust to the position that make you feels good , but some time may happen is that some position is better for you but you feels uncomfortable with . so try to get use to the new method .

cheers
email me if you want to ask more things
zhangshooting@yahoo.com.sg
Lss

Post by Lss »

If you do not trust your coach enough to not question her methods, leave NYT. I do not think you will go anywhere even if you stay there since you are so negative about her. Either find someone you can trust or just self-coach like Ed Hall.

I do not know who coached you but do realise that with each change in technique it takes time to get back to and exceed your current best performance levels. There are as many methods to shooting as there are stars. Just look down the firing line. I'm sure you will see that everyone does their own thing.

Just realised that this was from last year. I wonder what the kid has been doing since.
guest1

Post by guest1 »

the kid has not been doing very good all along after the post..

as shooter, u have to b positive. being negative will not help u to improve on the way u shoot neither will it improve your performer too..

always think positive.it really help alot.

cheers.