double dewar

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

QUICKBRICK123

double dewar

Post by QUICKBRICK123 »

Hi, I have been shooting rifle & pistol for a number of years now and have been invited to shoot in a double dewer. WHAT IS A DOUBLE DEWAR??????????????????????????????. Thanks for any replys.
hipwr223

Post by hipwr223 »

I am shooting a double Dewar match this Sunday myself! Are you in SE Pa by any chance?

Anyway, A Dewar match is a 40 shot match fired on the NRA conventional smallbore targets at 50 yds and 100yds. A Double Dewar is TWO matches back to back for a total of 80 shots, or 800 points.

Everything is fired from the prone position and they are generally really fun and if there are some good shooters in the crowd, very hard to win without shooting clean...with high X counts.

John
Mr. T

Post by Mr. T »

The double is a fun match.

Our club shoots the 50 yard A23 first, then the 50 yard reduced metric target (I don't remember the target number) , then 2 100 yard targets for an 80 shot match.

On nice days, it's not too bad but on a hot day, it will separate the men from the boys.

Also, if you're not used to changing sights for different distances, you can chase it too long, and run out of gas before you finish your 100 yard targets.

Have fun.

MGT
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I pity da fool with no good 100 yd zero.
Rose

Post by Rose »

Shouldn't be a problem moving distances - on a standard Anschutz rearsight you should expect to go up about 40 clicks from 50yds to 100yds. A word of warning though - if you shoot with a noticeable degree of cant, you will also need to put on some windage.

Rose
hipwr223

Post by hipwr223 »

if you have the Anschutz sights with 20 clicks per revolution you are going to have to turn the knob 4 full revolutions between 50 and 100 yds.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

8 minutes of angle from 50 to 100 yards in my rifle using Wolf (SK) Match Extra.
guest85

Post by guest85 »

The number of clicks depends on your sight radius (do you have an extension tube) and the ballistics of your ammo.
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

I know it's a little late now, but where in SE PA was there a double-Dewar match this past weekend?
hipwr223

Post by hipwr223 »

It was at Branch Valley fish and game in Perkasie Pa. They held two registered 800 point smallbore matches this year and several "fun" prone matches after their monthly highpower rifle matches. Generally 800 point prone matches at 50 and 100yds. Some metric prone matches thrown in too.

Last weeks double dewar

Top Score for Optics was Warren Winner 800-61X
Top score for Irons was John Sylvester 700-59X