Agner Mod. 80

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
skoda

Agner Mod. 80

Post by skoda »

Greetings; Does someone here have experience with an Agner mod. 80 match pistol that I just purchased at of all places; a garage sale for $200.00. When I got it home I realized how nice it is. It came in the original box with all papers and instructions and is finely finished stainless steel, with beautiful checkered mahogany(?) grips. The markings indicate: Saxhoj Products, Made in Denmark. As it was caked with either packing grease or old lubricant, I soaked it overnight in solvent. There is no wear on any parts and fit and finish inside and out are excellent. After cleaning and lubricating I took it to the range and am amazed how accurate this gun is. I'm not a great shot but it averaged .062in. at 25yds. rested, using Rem. Target, Fed. Target and Aguilla Std. vel. Best group .047in. with Aguilla. I've been shooting High Standards and Smith 41's for years and have never shot this well.

Regards
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The only thing I remember about the Agnar was the little key "thingy" on the side of the frame. Take it out and the gun cannot fire.

It was featured in an early editition of Target Gun magazine here in the UK, must have been '81 or '82.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

Yep, it's pretty rare. Beside mine, I've only seen two or three of them in the last twenty years. Excellent price that, btw. Attention - hearsay from people who tested it when it came out says that the trigger sears are hardened too much and tend to break (!) off, which would give you a nicely made, but completely unusable pistol. I'm pretty sure spare parts would be hard to come by...
Tor

Agner

Post by Tor »

Hello Skoda!
The Agner was featured in september/october 1984 issue of American Handgunner. The pistol was priced at 1195,-usd from Beeman at this time, must be about the same price leageu as the Hämmerli 208.
It's also written at the end of the article that soon they will offer it in .32 S&W long and .30 luger. I think this never Materialized.

Regards
Tor Ingvaldsen
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

It was also featured in th NRA Rifleman at about the same time. I think I still have the magazine. IIRC the test went bad with a broken sear , they said it was too hard. Kinda doomed the US sales after that review.
joel

Post by joel »

Can't use the translate program with the PDF.

The sear was a weakpoint, but they gave a drawing with every sold pistol so that a new one could be easily made. I haven't had any issues with mine. I think that low sales was more due to the high price and people's unlikeliness to try something new.

Joel
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Springs losing tension was a problem with the ones that I encountered in Australia.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

On the "sear issue" that you noted:
My own Agner M.80 (serial no. A-0155) has two hardened inserts in the respective contact surfaces. One of these inserts has worked a bit loose, and will block the sear release function after the first or second shot. I am not sure whether the inserts were soldered or super-glued, but I think this is a minor and correctable problem.

Alexander
Greg Derr

Post by Greg Derr »

How did the Agner work out? I never heard about how they group?
joel

Post by joel »

I have never had any issues with mine. As far as accuracy, all I know for sure is that they are far beyond my skill level and likely among the most accurate in the world.

Joel
Brian G

Post by Brian G »

joel wrote:Can't use the translate program with the PDF.

Joel
Copy and paste into http://translate.google.com/ - as usual the english is rather quaint but what would you expect from a machine?
joel

Post by joel »

Thank you Sir!