The Right trigger weight for .22 smallbore

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

snapy050

The Right trigger weight for .22 smallbore

Post by snapy050 »

Hi all!

the question basically is about the right trigger weight.. The national team here in India follows a trigger weight of 60 grms.. Just as some one mentioned that ways of the rifle also suggests.

Currently I am using a very old trigger.. thats 500grms heavy in 2nd stage.. thats the max we can reduce! But some how with the help of national coach, we brought it down by taking away the first stage and shaving off some metal to about 200 grms.. Now I am left with a dummy 1st stage and 200grms second stage.. I feel now that operating the trigger causes disturbance to the stock at the time of shot.. Its become very difficuly to operate without disturbing the rifle..

Is it that I need to reduce more weight because I generally used to shoot 98% but now after coming into this trigger, shoot about 96 %.. so Please shed some light on the topic..

kind regards,
Rajesh.

Post by Guest »

My 7.62 Palma rifle has a 1500gram trigger!

I have adjusted my smallbore rifle up as far as it goes but it is still only about 250grams. I feel that I have just as good trigger control with the 1,5kg trigger as with the other. It is all to do with what you are used to, I have done a lot more shooting with my Palma rifle than with smallbore so I just put it down to the fact that I'm used to the heavy trigger.

In my opinion it is more important for the trigger to be crisp and consistent than it is for it to be light.

But, this is prone shooting I'm talking about. 3P, especially standing, might be a different story.

I am from pistol shooting background so 500, 1000 and 1360gram triggers were normal to me.
RobStubbs

Re: The Right trigger weight for .22 smallbore

Post by RobStubbs »

snapy050 wrote: Is it that I need to reduce more weight because I generally used to shoot 98% but now after coming into this trigger, shoot about 96 %.. so Please shed some light on the topic..

kind regards,
Rajesh.
You can't expect to make dramatic changes to something fundamental like the trigger and immediately shoot well with it. You need to learn again how it feels and that will take time. I won't comment on what is technically better as I don't know enough about rifle shooting. I would however far prefer a decent 2 stage 500g trigger to a single stage 200g one. I shoot pistol and prefer my 500g 2 stage air pistol trigger to my 50g single stage free pistol trigger.

Rob.
n1heu

Triggers & such

Post by n1heu »

If we make the assumption that this is an older Anschutz Rifle, perhaps a trigger upgrade to the 5018 model is in order. If it is a newer model, Anschutz may have a kit for conversion of the heavier pull to the lighter pull trigger. Shaving metal may not be a good idea if you are affecting sear engagement. Finding lighter springs is usually the safer alternative.
Good luck, and for the record I have an older Anchutz 1413 with a newer 5018 trigger adjusted to 100 grams. It is a class above the older trigger especially in offhand.
wrc

Post by wrc »

Old triggers can also be rebuilt by competent gunsmiths. I just had one changed on a 1407 from single stage to 2-stage.

What you might also need to look at is if the position of the trigger blade has changed from what you have been used to. The finger span makes a big difference, I've found. With mine now switched to 2-stage with adjustable blade, I am much more comfortable on the trigger, especially in standing.