torque setting

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

dgold

torque setting

Post by dgold »

I have two doubts:
I use a polarisation filter in my rear sight. The Anschütz catalog says that the filter corrects the reverberation. I don't understand how do it.
The variation of the grouping of shots depends on the torque setting? I don't know how test the good torque setting. I have a 1913 in a 1907 wood stock (with only two screws)
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

The polarisation filter d´ont correct mirage, only suppresses the annoying reflections when eliminating the light that vibrates in all the planes except in one.
I use it so: In the stand when I am ready to shoot I turn the first polarisation filter until the reflections of the objects that are in my field of view, and are more bother to me, disappear. Then I turn the second filter until obtaining the light that allows the clearest vision of the target.
For me he has a disadvantage and is that, normally, he eliminates too much light and the eye finishes tired.
To test the influence of the torque in the grouping you need a bench to fix the gun and firing series of ammunition with diferent torques. Select the one that gives the closer group. Normaly around 4,5 Nm are the best for wooden stock.
TargetShootingShop.com

Post by TargetShootingShop.com »

Re: Torque setting, this can only be perfected when testing with a batch of ammo, your ideal torque setting will change when you change ammo brand and to a lesser extent the batch.

Try buying quite a lot of one batch and then test different torque settings in 1/2 Nm increments until you get optimum setting, this optimum setting will be different for every rifle and almost certainly for different ammo.

Buying a load of ammo when you get a good torque setting gets rid of the need to test over and over again.

PS Obviously you need a good torque wrench before you start, gehmann and anschutz have one in their range that is of adequate quality; the Anschutz one is more expensive than the Gehmann one but they are exactly the same wrench. It must cost a little more to have the Anschutz logo printed on it than the Gehmann logo!!!
Albert B

torque

Post by Albert B »

Anschutz recommends for the wooden stocks 5Nm (factory settings) and for the allum. stocks 6Nm.
We have tested a 2013 and found that even steps of 0.15Nm are of great importace. The 2013 seems very sensitive to torque.
Normally the wooden stock model 1913 should get best results between 4.5 and 5Nm, but the only way to find out is to shoot it.
Even with a frontrest torque testing is possible (personal experience), provided you are a good shot.

Albert B
(The Netherlands)
dgold

Post by dgold »

Thank you to all for your comments. I don't have access to a torque wrench. Is it valid to prove with a 9X telescope and with a frontrest torque?
albert B

torque setting with frontrest

Post by albert B »

Dgold, here in The Netherlands at my club I use a selfmade frontrest and the standard sights. Although the human factor is not completely ruled out we are able to shoot constantly groups of less than 12mm (1/2 inch) , covering circle, in prone using the frontrest. Good enough I think to check torque in 3P ISSF shooting. I have found that increments of 0.12Nm can make the difference between one big hole and 1 inch groups at 50m.
At least you experience what the combination of rifle and aiming capability of the shooter can accomplish.
I am not sure about the 9x scope. I have never tried that. It feels like a to small magnafication to me. Perhaps the Benchrest boys can give more info on that subject.

Albert
(The Netherlands)
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

Dgold:
To select the best batch of amunition (and for testing the best torque) it is essential a bench to fix the rifle.
When you write "I don't have access to a torque wrench" I think you are talking about a bench.
Testing with a 9X telescope and with a frontrest introduces the "human factor".
To fix the rifle you need a heavy bench with clamps (mordazas).
An image better than hundred words:

http://www.gehmann.com/english_final/details.php?id=251
http://www.gehmann.com/english_final/ba ... ipment.php
dgold

Post by dgold »

Thank you Juan Carlos:
I understand all you say. My english is very poor. Sometimes I use a translator program for write in this forum.
Un abrazo grande