Mental Training

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

ray.geyer

Mental Training

Post by ray.geyer »

I am a competitive shooter in air rifle and smallbore. I shoot collegiate and national matches. I have been looking for as much help as i can get with the mental game. I have read several books for other sports that are supposed to help but i feel like i cannot relate shooting to the other sports. Is there any shooting specific literature available?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

There is only one decent shooting mental training book that I know of and that is Lanny Basshams 'with winning in mind'. A very good book IMO. I also like Terry Orlicks 'in pursuit of excellence'. Both books write in a style I like and can relate to so give them a try.

Rob.
Coach Don

Mental training

Post by Coach Don »

Ray: Contact me be email at bawilli@attglobal.net and I may be able to point you in the right direction. There is quite a lot out there, you just have to find it and I think I might have found most of it.
Don in Oregon
44 Magnum

Post by 44 Magnum »

I would also reccomend Lanny Bassham's book "With winning in mind" it relay helps and is completely shooting related.
Allen J. Elliott

Mental Training

Post by Allen J. Elliott »

Coach Don
I attempted to e-mail you and hijack your offer but had no success. I teach a rifle marksmanship class at a community college and I would greatly appreciate any literature you have had success with or recommend. I currently have just about everything Lanny Bassham has ever written or recorded into CD's. I also have a pretty fair library of position or shooting books but my resources on mental training is pretty much limited to Lanny's works. If you would rather respond personally, my e-mail is <aeshoots@yahoo.com>
Thank you in advance,
Allen J. Elliott
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Another book specifically shooting related is;

Rifle and pistol shooting - winning with the mental edge. by Mark H Taylor

I find it nowhere near as good as Basshams book and to be honest I don't think it's worth the money.

Rob.