Dropped wrist or not...

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
curious

Dropped wrist or not...

Post by curious »

I'm curious whether you shooters favor the dropped wrist usually found in guns like the Hammerli SP, MG, Pardini, Walther, Tesro, ... for Rapid Fire and Standard competitions.

I figure that having an upright hold it must be somehow easier to fire a string of rounds.

Eventually, in case you favor that type of hold what guns do you feel fit you the best?

I'll be glad to hear your advices!
James Hurr

Dropped wrist

Post by James Hurr »

Generally the trade off is:
+ Dropped wrist -> a lower barrel line = Less muzzle flip
+ Dropped wrist -> less muscular effort to hold the sights level (providing your tendons don't stretch)
- Dropped wrist gives a weaker grip and poorer trigger control.

Personally I don't like a dropped wrist, its OK for air and free and maybe centrefire/sport.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Curious - this is one of those questions to which there is no "right" answer, only LOTS of personal opinion.

I personally prefer to shoot with a dropped wrist and do very poorly on straight-up grips like the typical Colt 1911. As a result I find the grip angle adjustability of the MG-2 to be a strong selling point for a standard/rapidfire pistol. Similarly, I really like the Hammerli 150 free pistol because of its extreme rake angle. The Morini CM84 is slightly less raked, but still very useable for me. Keep in mind that I dont' shoot any pistols that have high recoil (no centrefire) so my opinion is based solely on smallbore stuff. When it comes to centrefire about the only thing I shoot well is a revolver...