Whats better,setting sights below bull bottom of black or?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

darticus

Whats better,setting sights below bull bottom of black or?

Post by darticus »

Six o'clock hold or straight on hold Center to bull?Any reasons for choice?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

My personal answer would be sub six. Reasons are you can clearly see all aspects of the sights. Sub six encourages prompt release as it is not 'super critical' being more an area aiming technique. I will centre aim however on rapid type (very big black) targets where I psersonally find it much easier to 'hold centre'.

Rob.
defblade

Post by defblade »

Depends on sights. For iron/open sights, it's very difficult to line black blade in black notch up with black bull and know where you are. Can be difficult seeing crosshairs against a bull too. Peep/diopter sights more or less need the black to be centred.
mitty

Post by mitty »

Old subject. You should buy and read a copy of Gil Hebard's "The Pistol Shooters Treasury."
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Also suggest you read Nygord/s Notes: http://www.nygord-precision.com/
One of his notes deals with sight picture. Plus lots of other really useful suff.
tb

rifle, pistol, rubberband gun - be specific

Post by tb »

they need to be concentric or put the crosshair right on what you want to hit OH what gun & sights are you talking about?? Put it in the right forum for your particular gun.
F. Paul in Denver

training

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Another great source of information and training tips can be found at:

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Here's an idea, try it. All you are doing is adjusting your sight, you can find out what works best for you. You'll always get conflicting answers because it is a personal thing. Depends on the events you're shooting, your eyesight, the sights on your gun and other things. Personally I shoot center hold for Standard pistol, Sport Pistol and Center fire, because I have no problem seeing the sight against the target and it seems to have helped my Timed and Rapid fire scores in those events. For Air Pistol and Free Pistol I use a sub-six, I have trouble focusing on the front sight against the black target at 10 m, is the main reason.

Try it you have absolutely nothing to loose.
Lss

Post by Lss »

i have experimented on and used a six oclock hold for the past few years i found out that due to my lack of ability to hold my grouping wasnt circular. it was more of a semi circle where there were few low shots and most were higher.

recently i switched to a sub six hold around the 3 to 4 ring area and found that my grouping is more circular and my shots are more consistant i have alot less flyers now.

i also tried the centre hold and found that it works at the range i shoot at. i quickly abandoned this hold even though it was very effective as i concluded that the difference in lighting at different ranges might render the centre hold ineffective should i shot at other places.

for the record i shoot air pistol using iron sights.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Lss wrote: i also tried the centre hold and found that it works at the range i shoot at. i quickly abandoned this hold even though it was very effective as i concluded that the difference in lighting at different ranges might render the centre hold ineffective should i shot at other places.

for the record i shoot air pistol using iron sights.
Don't just dismiss centre aim if it works for you. You will find it will work on other ranges just the same so if that's what gives you better scores then stick with it.

Rob.
Iceman

Post by Iceman »

Center hold is the only choice, if You want to shoot different (diameter) targets with the same gun. That is my choice, too.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Iceman wrote:Center hold is the only choice, if You want to shoot different (diameter) targets with the same gun. That is my choice, too.
I think you'll find that your sights are adjustable. People firing centrefire matches for example move the sights a number of clicks between the precision and rapid stages (and verify with the sighting shots).

Rob.