Shifting NPOA

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jose Rossy

Shifting NPOA

Post by Jose Rossy »

What is the most common way to shift vertical POA for a five bull target, say the A-23/5 or the A-50?

Do you adjust the buttplate up or down? Slide your handstop fwd or back? Loosen and tighten the sling? Bring in or move out your trigger hand's elbow?

What works for you?
JohnD

Post by JohnD »

In prone, I leave both elbows where they started and scooch my belly forward or backward as required. In kneeling, I just find a new spot for my elbow on my knee. I've never seen anyone adjust the sling or buttplate bull-by-bull.
Juan Carlos

Post by Juan Carlos »

In prone I adjust the buttplate up or down.
Then I must adjust a little the cheekpiece height .
Thomas Monto

NPA

Post by Thomas Monto »

One thing nice about single bull targets is that you do not have this problem. Try the Target Trax system. it is one I practice on.

For multi-bull targets, the easiest for ME is to set up the NPA for each vertical run of bulls, (i.e. 1, 4, 6, 8, and 2,9, then 3,5,7,10) most often this involves a slight move of the support leg or foot, on occasion the slight movement of the leg or knee you are kneeling upon. If you are shooting two targets side by side, either get up and redo the NPA are squirm around until you get the NPA correct. This can be tricky at times. For vertical adjustment, I take in or let out my breath to adjust the NPA for the vertical adjustment. I probasbly would NEVER move my elbow on my knee.

Just my thoughts.
TM
dgold

Post by dgold »

Obtain your NPA in the center of all the targets. Always shoot with the same quantity of air in the lungs.
To correct horizontally, prove to advance or to retard the right elbow.
To correct vertically, prove to bring near or far the right elbow with regard to the body.
It is the quickest and simpler thing, without undoing the position.
isuguncoach

Post by isuguncoach »

Assuming you are right handed, in the prone position, changes to your NPOA can be accomplished by slight movement of the right leg. Height can be changed by moving your right knee up or down (keep the right foot in place). Left and right changes to NPOA can be made by moving the right foot left or right(keeping the right knee in place). Has the advantage of keeping the balance of the front of half of your body, and all of the tensions stay the same relative to each other.
Albert B

corrections NPOA

Post by Albert B »

Prone:
I use the same method as dgold. Righthanded shooter: bring right elbow forward (to target) to correct to the left and contra.
bring right elbow towards the upperbody to lower the NPA, and away from the body to raise NPA.
Kneeling:
In the Netherlands we have a national distance of 12 meters and untill several years ago, 5-bull targets were used (bulls positioned in the same way as the marks on dice)
The thing I did - because the corrections are minimal - was to turn my supporting left hand anti-clockwise under the rifle to change the NPOA to the left and contr (it is so little it does not sirturbe the balance).
For vertical compensation I used to 'lean' over more for changing the NPOA upwards or less to change it downwards.
Standing.
Horizontal corrections in the same way as kneeling, turning the supporting hand under the rifle - but be carefull this can change balance very quickly!
Vertical corrections by changing the position of the rightfoot towards or away from the target.

Of course, I will be 'punished' for giving advise that is against all theory, but when the bulls are very close together it is an option.
By the way, in the case of a 5-bull target we always positioned our NPOA on the center bull.

Good luck,
Albert
The Netherlands
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Thank you all, gentlemen. I think I have a good map of techniques to try.