Varga Iris

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
diopter

Varga Iris

Post by diopter »

Anyone else has any problems with the plastic housing?
My is being replaced N.C. from the dealer I bought it from.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0703/ ... e12449.jpg

I had it close to two years.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

I have two of the Varga variable iris units and have had no problem with them. Suspect we bought them from the same dealer... I've seen one similar to yours, and its owner tried to change the iris setting without releasing the lock screw. He did this regularly, thinking the iris was just stiff to move. Yes, it eventually broke from repeated application of higher-than-normal force. I'm not insinuating that was what happened with yours, just suggesting that those of us who have Varga iris' need to keep in mind that they have a tensioning device which needs to be loosened before adjusting the iris.
Fred Mannis

Varga Iris

Post by Fred Mannis »

Mark Briggs wrote:I have two of the Varga variable iris units and have had no problem with them. Suspect we bought them from the same dealer... I've seen one similar to yours, and its owner tried to change the iris setting without releasing the lock screw. He did this regularly, thinking the iris was just stiff to move. Yes, it eventually broke from repeated application of higher-than-normal force. I'm not insinuating that was what happened with yours, just suggesting that those of us who have Varga iris' need to keep in mind that they have a tensioning device which needs to be loosened before adjusting the iris.
The Varga iris is a bit stiff to adjust, even with the lock screw loosened. Also difficult to install on the lens holder - almost broke mine trying to move it from one lens holder to another. Finally bought a Knoblock iris which is of much better construction and fits the 37mm Varga lens.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Fred - I also have a couple of the Knobloch iris' and like them very much. But I find the Varga gives a much wider opening and lets in more light for those times you're shooting in poor lighting conditions indoors. So far, knock on wood, I haven't had any trouble with any of my eyeglass bits and pieces.
Fred.Mannis

Post by Fred.Mannis »

Mark Briggs wrote:I find the Varga gives a much wider opening and lets in more light for those times you're shooting in poor lighting conditions indoors.
Yes, the Varga iris can open to a larger diameter than the Knobloch. However, under poor lighting conditions the diameter of the fully dilated pupil, being less than the diameter of the fully open Knobloch, will control the amount of light entering the eye.
diopter

Post by diopter »

Mark

Yes, I got them from Jocelyn.
I'll see you at Connaught next weekend.
Entered in the 1800 and ISSF Standard pistol.