Vostok Free Pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
kardar

Vostok Free Pistol

Post by kardar »

Hello

I bought a Vostok MC 2-3 free pistol. I don't know anything about Free Pistols and have some questions.
First, has anybody on this list any experience with this particular model. I tried the internet and the best was Potter firearms has a schematic on their web site. I had about 4 pages of the manual/diagrams and parts list that came with the gun and first thing I did was scan it and email to Potter Firearms. They will post it on their web site when they get some time to do it.
Now I tried to shoot the pistol and was in for a surprise. It wouldn't feed .22LR. The round doesn't go all the way in into the chamber. It this model chambered for .22 long/short?
I tried to feed a .22long cartridge and it seated in properly, hmmmmm. Locked the bolt, pushed the trigger guard down to engage the mechanism and TOUCHED the trigger. I heard the click but the gun didn’t go off. The cartridge didn’t even have a dent in the back. Did it again and again but no use. Could the firing pin be broken or am I doing something wrong here?

I found a .22 short cardboard box in the Pistol case so I presume the original owner (may God rest his soul in peace) shot .22 shorts.

I would greatly appreciate any help regarding this issue.

Regards

Kardar
Attachments
MC-23.jpg
Mike T.

Post by Mike T. »

Regarding the calibre:
While the rules for free pistol (50m Pistol) would permit a .22 short or .22 long rimfire cartridge, I think it highly unlikely that a pistol of this stature would be chambered for anything other than the .22 long rifle. More likely the chamber has become "shortened" by the build up of lead from firing .22 shorts, particularly since you found a .22 short box in the case with the gun. If it were my pistol, I would insert a bronze wire brush (.25 calibre) into the chamber to a depth just short of touching the rifling and then rotate the brush to scrub out the (presumably) accumulated lead. Before doing this, you could dip the brush into a lead-removing bore cleaner (such as Shooter's Choice) to assist in the lead removal. Then follow with a regular cleaning using powder solvent or Hoppes #9, dry patches, an oiled patch, and a final dry patch or two. When the chamber is clean, a .22 long rifle cartridge should drop into it freely, or with a very light push at most.
As to your other problem, it seems that the set trigger is working but the firing pin is not cocking or not releasing. Others familiar with the MC2-3 pistol mechanics will have to comment.
Good luck on getting that fine gun back in working order.
Mike T.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

2005 Rules 8.4.5
50 m Pistol
Any caliber 5.6 mm (.22”) rim fire pistol, chambered for Long Rifle cartridges, may be used.

I.e. .22LR only
Ernie Rodriguez

Vostok Pistol

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

After following Mike's advice-I would do one more thing.Put a 22 short in the chamber and see if the pistol fires the cartridge-that will tell you something about the firing pin/spring situation.Ernie
kardar

Vostok MC

Post by kardar »

Thanks for the replies & advice. I did clean the chamber area with a bronze brunsh and now I can feed in a .22LR into the chamber.

But the firing pin still doesn't make a dent on the rim. I guess I have to take it to a Gunsmith. Luckily it does have some spare in the box that came with it and I see some firing pin & other parts in thee too.

Will update you when it works that way it is supposed to.

Regards
Kardar
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

I agree that your feeding issue is probably a lead buildup for the same reasons stated by the others. As to the firing issue, I would look for a possible dry fire mode/switch (or an extra step to the cocking procedure). Is the bolt easily removable? If so, can you see the firing pin tip within its hole? How does it look? If it is broken, the break should be apparent. Next look for the method of actuating the pin. There may be a post within the frame that travels along a channel in the bolt. See if that post is movable by something. The post may even be directly linked to the trigger mechanism. What action moves the pin? If the pin itself is spring loaded and is released to travel forward, is there an obstruction, accidental or on purpose? If something else hits the pin, is the pin free to protrude from the recess?

It's always tough to diagnose from a distance, but I hope you can find the solution soon and let us all know what turned up.

Take Care,
Ed Hall
http://www.airforceshooting.org/
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/
Mike T.

Ammunition for free pistol

Post by Mike T. »

Spencer,
I was going by rule 4.6:
"4.6 50m Pistol
Any caliber 5.6 mm (.22) rim fire pistol which complies with Rule 4.1 and the following standards may be used.
4.6.2 Ammunition
Any caliber 5.6 mm (.22) rim fire cartridge may be used (see Rule 4.1.10)."

So, as of ISSF Official Statutes, Rules and Regulations, Edition 1997 (Second Printing, 05/99), it seems the .22 short and the .22 long were allowed.
Of course, those are old rules, now superceded, but the pistol in question is old and it could have been (but unlikely) chambered for .22 short or .22 long and met those rules. Somewhat moot, now that Kardar has cleaned the chamber and verified that it is indeed .22 long rifle.
Mike T.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

now working under the 2005 / 2nd printing....
kardar

Post by kardar »

Just spoke to my gunsmith. I was indeed a broken firing pin. He has fixed it and I will be picking up the bolt tonight.

Again thanks for the help.