longer barrel in a standard pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Nano

longer barrel in a standard pistol

Post by Nano »

¿has somebody changed a longer barrer to a standard pistol?
¿which the result is? ( in terms of acuracy)
I would be interested to know on a pistol like walther gsp or a baikal izh35
xtreme

Post by xtreme »

I would think that a longer barrel on a GSP or IZH35 would make it illegal for the match. Wouldn't fit in the spec. "box", and could only be used for FP or sillouette matches,or 'plinking'.
May all your shots be "10's"

Post by Guest »

the walther barrel is easily switched back and forth depending upon the type of match you are shooting as well as the trigger unit, which makes the walther rather versitile for a one pistol fellow.
Claudio

Re: longer barrel in a standard pistol

Post by Claudio »

Nano wrote:¿has somebody changed a longer barrer to a standard pistol?
¿which the result is? ( in terms of acuracy)
I would be interested to know on a pistol like walther gsp or a baikal izh35
We have tested the Walther GSP Standard Pistol at 25 and 50 meters with a Ransom Rest. At 25 meters some ammo have good accuracy but not at 50 meters. Some ammo performs well at 50 meters but each of our Walthers performs differently with different ammo. Each person should Ransom Rest their pistols especially for 50 meters, every gun shoots differently with different ammo, and even the same make of pistols.

Once you find the best practice and match ammo for your pistol, it is wise to buy a large quantity from the same lot number. The NRA shooters that shoot at 50 meters prefer to shoot the Walther and other standard pistols with a longer barrel and more twist rate for better accuracy. If you ransom rest your pistol with different ammo, you might not have to buy a custom barrel but most would advise you to do so and Ransom Rest it for best results. I would like to purchase a custom barrel for my Walther to see how much more the accuracy is with the same ammo.
Nano

longer barrel for a standard pistol

Post by Nano »

Claudio
CANADA

you have made very interesting tests with your gun walther gsp.
where did you has bought a longer barrel ?
Is very difficult to adapt to the gun?
I can buy a toz-35 in my country, with a very economic price, but I didn't understand that part you write, I don't know the izh-1.
Claudio

Re: longer barrel for a standard pistol

Post by Claudio »

Nano wrote:Claudio
CANADA

you have made very interesting tests with your gun walther gsp.
where did you has bought a longer barrel ?
Is very difficult to adapt to the gun?
I can buy a toz-35 in my country, with a very economic price, but I didn't understand that part you write, I don't know the izh-1.
Hi Nano,

The .22 GSP barrels can be purchased from $245.00 to $340.00 US Funds from Falcon Machining Inc. in the USA. http://falconmachining.com

The VostokToz -35 or the Toz 35M are your best choice for a free pistol. The Vostok IZH-1 or IJ-1 are free pistols that were made before the TOZ-35 and they are similar but have more wood and more wrap around grip.
I own both of them and I prefer the IZH-1 grip better than the TOZ-35. Now I will try the Morini grip on the Toz-35 but it does not have an adjustable palm rest.
ten-x

Post by ten-x »

Hi All,

I have done some testing with the GSP in .22 and .32 in longer barrel configurations for a product we are starting to offer for shooting the NRA with the GSP.

I can confirm that the gsp in both calibers does well out to 25m but they "fall apart" after that. The .32 especially has issues past 25m.

Increasing barrel length out past 6" works wonders for the Walther. Our .22 barrels have all been sub 1" at 50 yrds with the good ones capable of sub 1/2" groups. These groups are shot with one rather inexpensive ammo (Lapua super club) and ammo selection would bring this grouping in tighter. The stock Walther barrel struggles to keep the groups in the 50yd NRA X ring (1.75"). The barrel also makes for a fine handling gun.

The .32 is a different beast and we have achieved a 300 to 400% decrease in group size at 50 yds. The slow wadcutter destabilizes past 25m and 6" groups are the norm at 50yds. We are able to get the GSP .32 to 1.5" at 50 and I am sure with further testing we will get this in tighter. We use a tighter (.311) and faster twist (1 in 18) barrel than walther does.

We have just started production of these conversions - for info see our website at
http://www.sasktelwebsite.net/samoc/home.html

Chris
Attachments
targets001.JPG
targets001.JPG (41.92 KiB) Viewed 3976 times
ShtenDoji

Longer barrel for GSP or IZH35M

Post by ShtenDoji »

xtreme wrote:I would think that a longer barrel on a GSP or IZH35 would make it illegal for the match. Wouldn't fit in the spec. "box", and could only be used for FP or sillouette matches,or 'plinking'.
for IUT, the barrel's max length is 6" so the IZH35M is ok with it's
6"

but the walther's GSP's is only 4.5", it's too short for the long range
like 50m (~55yds) or NRA bullseye 50yrds slow fire event. my experience
has been the walther is not good enough for the 50s. it groups poorly.

the sight radius is another matter. i forgot it for the IUT shooting but
for the NRA, it's 10" max. so, for longer barrel for your GSP, u
must move one or both of the sight closer. with 4.5" existing barrel,
it's sight radius is ~ 8.75" so add 6" to dat!!!

on the otherhand, if u use optical sight, NRA doesn't care.

if u r interested in longer barrel for the GSP, contact me:

mtn_ssshupring7@hotmail.com
Richard H

Re: Longer barrel for GSP or IZH35M

Post by Richard H »

ShtenDoji wrote:
xtreme wrote:I would think that a longer barrel on a GSP or IZH35 would make it illegal for the match. Wouldn't fit in the spec. "box", and could only be used for FP or sillouette matches,or 'plinking'.
for IUT, the barrel's max length is 6" so the IZH35M is ok with it's
6"

but the walther's GSP's is only 4.5", it's too short for the long range
like 50m (~55yds) or NRA bullseye 50yrds slow fire event. my experience
has been the walther is not good enough for the 50s. it groups poorly.

the sight radius is another matter. i forgot it for the IUT shooting but
for the NRA, it's 10" max. so, for longer barrel for your GSP, u
must move one or both of the sight closer. with 4.5" existing barrel,
it's sight radius is ~ 8.75" so add 6" to dat!!!

on the otherhand, if u use optical sight, NRA doesn't care.

if u r interested in longer barrel for the GSP, contact me:

mtn_ssshupring7@hotmail.com
Your not adding 6 inches to the barrel your replacing the 4.5 inch barrel with a 6 inch barrel so you are only adding 1.5 inches. For NRA the 6 inch barrel is withing the rules on both the GSP 22 and 32. It fails the box for ISSF events.