Quality of Aeron ACZ-101?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Chicken-Farmer

Quality of Aeron ACZ-101?

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

I have recently set up a single lane home 10M range in my basement so that my family can shoot during the cold and windy winter months in Alaska. I have been looking @ various air pistols for quite some time now. The Steyr LP10, Anschutz LP@, Morini 162 EI, and most recently i have been looking at the Aeron ACZ-101. The Aeron is $750 which is almost half the price of the other pistols. But my only concern is that the quality will not be present on the Aeron that i would have seen on the other pistols. I had read that Don Nygord started stocking the Aeron line before he passed away, so the quality must be pretty good. I have a Budget of $1500 give or take but i would also like to purchase a quality junior rifle for my children. Not necessarily for 3 position but more of a get together for family time thing. We are a shooting family during the summer months but i would like to carry the fun over into the winter months as well. I own several air guns already with one PCP so i have the pump already. I've never owned a "competition" quality air gun but i have always wanted one for the ease of shooting in my own house. Any suggestions or information would be appreciated

Thanks

Jeff
Matvei

Post by Matvei »

I have right in my hand a Swedish journal where 16 airpistols have been tested and verdicted. They said about Aeron ACZ 101 Spider "A certain amount of potential, but something is missing". The grip is too small for adult, but evidently, you are planning the gun for kids (right?). Trigger is somehow rough and not very smooth. There seems to be a junior model, as well. In the final verdict Spider scored 24 points, while the winner (Steyr LP10) 46. Roughly half, but half is the price.
Chicken-Farmer

Just as i figured! :)

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

I figured the price was too good to be true. I have been floundering between the Steyr LP-10 and the Anschutz LP@ for some time. Then just by chance i saw an ad for the Aeron pistols. They looked like they had some promise with adjustable grips like the LP-10. But i kinda figured that half the price meant half as nice. I saw today that junior pistol shooters can use a rest to help them focus on aiming, trigger control, and grip instead of trying to hold the pistol as well. So i think i'll bypass the 3 position rifle for my kids and start them on air pistol. Problem is, on the remote island that i live on there aren't any junior "pistol" clubs, only junior small bore. So maybe we'll have to start up our own club!
Thanks for the advice and i'll keep reading more to help me make my final decision

Jeff
william

Post by william »

Have you considered the Benelli Kite? I have used one for about 15 months and have found it to be a superb performer, very well built and excellent value. Part of its low cost (relatively) is the fact that it comes with only 1 cylinder. Not to worry - a 200 bar fill will hold enough air for 3 60-shot matches plus sighters. PM me with any questions.
Chicken-Farmer

Benelli Kite...

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

I was looking into the Kite after i saw them on Larrys Guns, but the price has gone up since he first put them on his site and now there isn't a real difference betweent he kite and steyr. I believe the new price is right around $1200 or so. I can't remember for sure, but it's significantly more than what is posted on the website. The steyr comes with two cylinders. So for my money i'll have to bite the bullet, spend the money, and enjoy my new purchase! It will most likely be the Steyr or Anschutz. Pilk has the steyr for $1400 and the Anschutz for $1370. To me the Anschutz has the best of both worlds. The Compensator from the steyr with some added flair from Anschutz like the triangle front site with 4, 4.5 & 5mm edges just by turning the site. Pretty ingenious. Plus the $30 savings between the two will allow me to purchase a sleeve of pellets to go with it.

Jeff
cdf

Post by cdf »

Chicken Farmer , I'd pick the LP10 - drilled barrel plus compensator plus bolt mass vs. compensator and bolt mass only . In the flesh the Anchutz looks kinda unfinished/stripped . I have to admit I prefer the triangle front sight and weight bar on the Anchutz .

The Morini 162E short might be the ticket for the family . A lot of juniors and ladies like the Morini short .

Goood luck , let us know how it works out .

Chris
cdf

Post by cdf »

How are you going to adress the issue of different sized hands , using the same gun ?Not to mention individual sight settings ?

Chris
Chicken-Farmer

Good Question, but i think i have a fix

Post by Chicken-Farmer »

Very good question about the different grip sizes in relation to size of hands. My oldest daughter is 8 and has been shooting .22 since she was 3. We started out with her sitting on my lap and i supported the "chipmunk" rifle for her. This allowed her to focus on the sights and trigger squeeze. When she grew larger she started to hold the rifle herself while she sat on my lap. Now she has graduated to a CZ Scout and she shoots off-hand while i loosely support the forearm (she supports most of the weight). We shoot @ 25 yards, mostly informal plinking @ cans, but we also shot targets. We try to keep it entertaining so the kids don't loose interest. We also have several "target" games that we shoot like golf or darts or even silhouette targets.
Now back to the question @ hand. The pistol will mostly be for myself, wife, and oldest daughter. I am 6'2", my wife is 6''0, and my daughter is already almost 5' tall. I am looking into a lp10 with medium grips. My son who is now 3 1/2 has just started shooting with dad in the same manner that his older sister started. My youngest daughter is only 1 1/2 and has not started shooting yet, but she does enjoy going shooting with us when we go. I already own a PCP rifle that my son can shoot when we go to the basement. On Kodiak Island there aren't any formal shooting clubs that cater to air pistol. There is a junior rifle league, but it is across town on a dirt road and winter access is poor at best. But this summer we are going to try junior rifle for my daughter.
I am looking @ the basement range as more of a fun family activity rather than a formal, day in day out training environment for my children. Our family loves shooting and every year we have to close up shop when winter hits because the weather is just too bad. So the idea of an indoor shooting range will allow us to continue shooting year round. My wife seems interested in shooting silhouette and i think that would be fun the kids as well.

Jeff
Jamesn

Post by Jamesn »

I bought a benelli kite about 6 months ago after hearing that william got one and chose it over the pardini.

I've shot an lp 2, and while the lp2's craftsmanship is a little better, the benelli's trigger is same if not better.

The benelli lacks in grip angle adjustability, but you pay about 200 more for that in the steyr.

Benelli is still 800, and 869 for young and full versions as far as i know.

THe new benelli has a ported barrel too.

At 50 dollars more then the CZ I think its substantially better, never having tried the cz however.

I think at half the price, the benelli is up there with the steyrs, pardini's etc.

Metal isnt as shiny and they save money on non essential parts (trigger gaurd and cocking lever are stamped metal rather then machined like on the steyr, but it's got nill grips, which i think are superior then any of the steyr grips, even lp10.

It's also got that italian styling :)
JAmesN

Post by JAmesN »

I forgot to mention that the kite has a larger cylinder then most other pistols, giving it 180-200 usable shots per fill.
slavochk

Post by slavochk »

cdf wrote:Chicken Farmer , I'd pick the LP10 - drilled barrel plus compensator plus bolt mass vs. compensator and bolt mass only .
Chris
New Anschutz LP-@ have a vented barrel.
Horror Dei

Anschutz @ has vented barrel, everybody knows

Post by Horror Dei »

Yes, thank you, "slavochk".
I find it unthinkable that a person into match AP shooting does not know the Anschutz @ features a vented (top drilled) barrel.
This is old news!.
cdf

Post by cdf »

My bad , I have seen only one example (old ) . In Canada they are only found at one dealer , who doesn.t appear to sell them very agressivley . I don't recall seeing any on the line at the Canadian Grand Prix . Pitty really , the Anchutz has some features I prefer to those on the Styer . These being the Tri angular front sight , and the weight rod assembly .

Chris

Re: Anschutz @ has vented barrel, everybody knows

Post by Guest »

Horror Dei wrote:Yes, thank you, "slavochk".
I find it unthinkable that a person into match AP shooting does not know the Anschutz @ features a vented (top drilled) barrel.
This is old news!.
Do you have anything informative to add to the discussion, or is this it?
Ray Odle

Post by Ray Odle »

I know you asked about the Aeron, but for your shooting fun and price have you concider the IZY 46 or the CO2 Tau 7 junior or adult? You could have three nice pistols for the price of top of the line one.

A second way, check the price for a LP 2 for the kids and a 46M for you.

Just a few more cents worth,
Ray[/quote]