IZH46M Divorce

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GaryBF

IZH46M Divorce

Post by GaryBF »

It is with some sadness and regret that I announce I am divorcing my IZH46M on the grounds of irreconcilable differences. My Izzy and I have been together for about 13 months now and we have shared some good times. I can no longer tolerate some of its idiosyncrasies, however, so I am moving on. I knew going into the relationship that the Izzy had a weight problem, but it turns out that it is a real porker and I have difficulty supporting her. This gun wears me out! Since I shoot only for my own amusement, I don’t think I should have to pump iron or consume enormous quantities of spinach just to fire my air pistol, so I am moving on.

Even worse is my Izzy’s propensity to point to the left. I have tried everything to change it: I filed the grip until I apparently went too far. Then I added wood filler and shims and filed some more-all to no avail. Although the grip feels pretty good now, it looks like crap and my natural point of aim is still several degrees to the left. Yes, I have read Don Nygord’s notes about how to modify your grip, but his few words and lack of pictures were of little use. My frustration got so bad that I even contemplated bending the barrel! Let me tell you, trying to shoot with your wrist cranked to the right is not conducive to good scoring. Some days I can hardly get the sights aligned, so I am moving on.

My new gun will be another mail order bride-this time from Austria. Our “Target Talk” host is fixing me up with a new LP2. Like my Izzy, I have never seen an LP2 and only know it from pictures, specs, and the Steyr family name. Many shooters are enamored with its fancier LP10 cousin, but at this time in my life I don’t need fancy, so the plain-Jane LP2 should suit me just fine. Never having held one there is always some risk that this next marriage won’t work out, but the LP2 is not heavy like the Izzy and the multi-adjustable grip should make it more accommodating to me. The LP2, like all pre-charged pneumatics, comes with some baggage, i.e. the obligatory air pump or scuba tank. One of the Izzy’s best features, in addition to its low price, is that it is self sufficient-just stroke it once and shoot. But the Izzy has too much baggage of its own, so I am moving on.

For those of you still wed to your Izzy, I wish you nothing but continued good shooting. For anyone considering buying one, don’t let my failed marriage dissuade you. The IZH46M is a very accurate, reliable, industrial grade air pistol at a very attractive price. Just be aware that it is a heavy gun with a muzzle-heavy balance. You will need Popeye forearms to hoist this beast. Furthermore, the factory grips are very large and rather crude and will need to be modified to fit you. Unfortunately, none of the well known after-market grip makers offer anything for the Izzy-probably because the grips would cost almost as much as the gun itself. If I had more gunsmithing skills and access to the right tools I would love to take on the IZH46M as a project. Perhaps I could craft some custom grips and remove the excess weight from the front end of the gun. However, as the saying goes: “If the queen had testicles she would be king”, I don’t posses these skills, so I am moving on.
pcomm

good ol' izzy...

Post by pcomm »

I kind of liked my izzy...it's the gun that brought me back to shooting after a 20 year absence...and I shot decent scores with it...until...

...I got a Pardini SP .22 ! This gun is so good in comparison ! The weight, the balance, the grips, the LOW sight line...the trigger...I'm spoiled! The izzy feels very cheap in comparison. I'm shoping for a replacement airgun, probably a Morini 162. I guess shooting the izzy remains a good workout, but not much more...I'm shooting all over the place with it at 10m, compared to regular 95's with the Pardini .22 at 25 yards!
scout18

Post by scout18 »

Maybe my popeye arms are the reason I don't really have trouble with my izzy. My lack of neck too. This is not me but this guy could be my twin.
Attachments
Copy of arvid.jpg
Bill177

That missive was sure cute - but that's about all

Post by Bill177 »

The Izzy is a capable gun when in capable hands.

You don't like it - so move on. There are hundreds of AP shooters that are in love with that little gun. It is affordable, accurate, and mechanically of good design. It also has a very nice trigger.

I've had a couple of them - both great APs. Both were quickly introduced to my Dremel Tool for grip improvement - quite successfully, I might add.

I also have a K2S. It is also a fine AP. I enjoy shooting it very much. But, to be honest, my scores have not improved greatly with the Pardini over the Izzy. When in good form I can shoot 570s - with either gun.

The only thing the Pardini really does for me is to allow shooting without having to crank the lever. No doubt this would be the same whether I had a Steyr, Morini, or whatever - all very fine APs.

Yep, like I said, "The Izzy is a capable gun when in capable hands."
CharlesC

Post by CharlesC »

That extra weight up front is why some of us prefer the non-M original Izzy. Mine doesn't feel all that muzzle heavy to me. A friend bought a new M model and it is somewhat more tiring to shoot a full match with.
Justin

Post by Justin »

I rather like mine. I only really use my airgun to practice slow fire now and again, so for that it seems to work. Especially at the price.
This is not me but this guy could be my twin.
So you're into lifting large triangular weights made of iron, eh? :)
scout18

Post by scout18 »

I use a cordless 18volt Dewalt drill all day long. That is heavy. I found this picture in my internet travels while looking up old school fighters. The guy really looks like me though.
Russ

Izh 46M And Anschutz

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
rs-mn

Post by rs-mn »

Here's a couple of links to grips I've found for the IZH46.

http://www.nealjguns.com/ss_store/CustomGrips-ss2.html
Has custom finished and unfinished Vitarbo grips. $108-$115

http://www.woodsandwateroutdoors.com/sp ... jects.html
Custom recut stock or new walnut grips. $55 - $145