AP Cases

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
trebilcock

AP Cases

Post by trebilcock »

Do many people use Pelican Cases for AP storage and travel? If so could someone recommend the best size/model for an Anschutz LP@ and typical accessories?
cdf

Post by cdf »

I use a Pelican 1490 for my two Styers , tools , critical accessories , shooting glasses and manuals . The case looks more like a conventional briefcase than most Pelican products . The downside of all Peli cases is that they practically scream gun or valuable equipment .

Another less expensive alternative are the cheap aluminum cases you find in big box stores . They are nowhere near as strong or secure as Peli. offerings .

Chris
Ted

Post by Ted »

I have use a Doskocil case for 112 years and have flown with it. It is a hard plastic case about $40-$50 cheaper than the Pelican. If you don't travel much or just want to look at the alternatives, you might watn to look up these brand cases.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I use a Pelikan 1520 for two Steyrs, extra cylinders, tools, repair kit, glasses, pellets, manuals. Room for a small scope if desired. Probably a bit bigger than necessary, but I like to be able to take out a piece of gear without having to take the whole case apart. Best disguise is to put it into an old duffel bag.
Alex L

AP Cases

Post by Alex L »

Have a look at :-

http://www.stormcase.com/

for some similar cases, but they are a bit cheaper!

I suggest buying a yellow or orange colour, as it is easier to identify if you are thinking about travelling around.
I would get a case that was bigger than just for one gun.

Also, if you intend to buy it in a Gun shop, you will find it more expensive than buying it in a camera shop, where you might get a bettrer deal. Diving shops have them too.
Don't buy the first one you see. Have a good look around.

Most of the Aussies who travel overseas use these cases, and have found them very good.

Hope to see you in the Commonwealth Games, here in Melbourne next month - if you are who I think you are!!!
Regards, Alex L.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I bought a storm case before christmas - 2600 (?). It's big enough to put a couple of guns in and all the extras. It survived the flight to Holland and back with no problems. Unlike others I'd opt for the black one - I don't want anything too conspicuous that says 'steal me'.

Rob.
cdf

Post by cdf »

Storm cases are on a par with Pelican's quality for somewhat less . Alass they aren't as easy to find .

Chris
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

cdf wrote:Storm cases are on a par with Pelican's quality for somewhat less . Alass they aren't as easy to find .

Chris
You can sometimes pick them up on ebay and a lot of camera shops seem to sell them (at least they do here in the UK).

Rob.
terrypchan

Re: AP Cases

Post by terrypchan »

Here in the USA, both Pelican and Storm Cases are available at the same prices for similar sized cases, if you shop online. I've been eyeing both pelican and storm cases for carrying two AP's with extra gear. The Pelican 1520 is of the same size as the Storm Case 2400. Both can be bought for around $85, similarly equipped.

I'm also eyeing the Pelican 1600 and the Storm Case 2700 for a 3 gun carrying solution (FP, CF, Std Pistol) and you need a large case for the 19 inches of the CM84e FP. Both of those cases are around $110.

The usual disclaimers apply, I'm not affiliated in any way with Pelican, Storm Case, nor www.cases4less.com. They seem to have very competitive prices in the USA for many brands of cases, Doskocil too.
R.M.

Post by R.M. »

I started with a Pelican case. Of course it was too small for me so it became my wife’s, and I searched for a larger one. I ended up with a Storm and am very happy with it. Probably the biggest plus is the latches. The Pelican latches are a brute to undo. The Storms are a breeze, yet secure.
I would suggest a Pullman style. They are the best. I don’t know how we ever traveled without them.
I would suggest the brightest colour you can get. It makes it so much easier to spot on the luggage carousels, and while you’re sitting on the plane watching them load the luggage in the hold, if yours is on the buggy, you’ll spot it and have some piece of mind that it made it.
We bought ours from Cases4less, but I’m sure there are many other dealers about.
Don’t get one that’s too small. You’ll end up destroying the foam in no time if you get things too crowded.

Hope this helps
R.M.
Fortitudo Dei

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Another point in Storm Case's favour is weight. The Stormcase 2400 weighs 2.95kg while the equivalent Pelican (1520) is 4.8kg.

The Stormcase 2700 is almost exactly the same size as the Pelican 1600 (which is about what you need to carry a Morini 84e with a compensator fitted - plus enough room for a SP, CF and AP as well). While the Stormcase comes in at 5kg, the Pelican tops the scales at 7.3kg. If you are travelling by air and are getting close to your weight limit, the 2.3kg difference between the two cases equals a lot of socks and underpants.