Looking for SB and Air rifle to take to college.

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

10.9paperpuncher

Looking for SB and Air rifle to take to college.

Post by 10.9paperpuncher »

I am currently looking for a smallbore and an air rifle to buy for when I go to college. Right now I borrow guns from my coach. Does anyone have any suggestions, what to get or what not to get, or anything of that sort? I have been looking mainly at FWBs and Anschuetzs. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
10.9paperpuncher
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Biggest things to consider in your choice are, first, can you have rifles where you'll be living? If you're in a dorm, for example, university policy may or may not let you keep a gun there and you may have to think about if/how it could be stored off-campus.

Second, you'll need to think about your budget. It's been a long time since I was in college, but I'm betting the term, "student poverty," is still current. If you don't have much money, you don't have many choices, so it's useful to get specific about what you'd like to spend. Third, your needs depend somewhat on your ability. Obviously, we all drool over the $4,000 tricked-out top-of-the-line Anschutz guns with fancy sights, but most of us aren't top competitors who actually need them. What you do need is something enough better than you are (or expect to be in the next couple years) that the gun isn't the limiting factor in your scores or ability to progress. If you're just getting started, even the entry-level Anschutz 1903 (about $900 brand-new + sights) is a fabulous, very pretty gun. (That's what I have, but I'm not headed for the Olympics, either. :)

Can you tell us a little more about your situation and what your hopes are?
10.9paperpuncher

Post by 10.9paperpuncher »

Well, I have been shooting precision for about three years now and I am applying at colleges for scholarships. Right now I also use the 1903 smallbore and the 2002 air rifle. The college that I am really looking at makes you store the guns in the range where you practice. Right now my budget is about 3500 to 4000 for both of the rifles. I'm mainly wondering what people's experiences with different guns are and what everyone recommends. Thank you for your help so far.
PerfectScore

Post by PerfectScore »

i am looking for an answer to this question as, well but i need a smallbore rilfe, i own a Anschutz 8002, and i need a smallbore to take to college next year
TWP

Post by TWP »

PerfectScore wrote:i am looking for an answer to this question as, well but i need a smallbore rilfe, i own a Anschutz 8002, and i need a smallbore to take to college next year
See my answer in the other thread with the exact same title.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=12644
Lera Kamerat

Post by Lera Kamerat »

get one of the Daisys sins they are more portable and light.
Lera
PerfectScore

Post by PerfectScore »

i dont think the people who have responded to this forum are thinking of the the right type of rifle, i am going to be shooting on a NCAA rifle team next year and currently using a club smallbore rifle, and own my own air rifle. 10.9paperpuncher and i are on the same high school team, we are not looking for sporter rifles, we are asking for help in finding precision rifles not sporter, thanks